What style speakers and amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I read and read but could not find an answer to my problem. Maybe somebody can help me decide.

The problem is that I don't know what style speaker package to choose. We have a.. well, a reverse L-shaped living room. It is not too big, but not very small either. Can't really tell you the exact size, because as it happens, I won't be home for at least a week or so. If it is very important, I could find out.

So anyway, we already have a Samsung PS50Q97HDX plasma, a Denon DVD-1930 and a Sony PlayStation 3. Now we are looking for an amp and a set of speakers to complete the system.

At first, I had already decided on Sonys STR-DA1200ES and a Tannoy Arena 5.1 system with an added speaker or two. The reasoning being that I could get the Sony locally (I live in Estonia) and could order the speakers rather conveniently from Germany (with a price of 1300 euros for the 5.1 system and about 300 euros every added speaker minus 10% discount). Also the Tannoys fit the bill because they are available in white and are not box-shaped. Which are both strict rules that have to be followed if anything is going to be bought at all. Or, okay, the color is not that important, black would be fine as well, but regular speaker shape is most definitely out of the question.

But then along came the Awards Issue. And now I'm not sure what to do. I started to veer towards the Onkyo TX-SR605 after reading a couple of reviews online but after it getting the product of the year award, I'm pretty much sold. The thing I'm not sure about, are the speakers. After reading that KEF KHT3005SE and B&W MT-30 were this years winners, I think I should prefer one of the two. But which? The KEF is definitely in my price range, the B&W I'm not so sure about. Maybe I could make it fit, but would it be worth it? But the problem with of them is that they're not sold in Estonia. KEF KHT3005 is, but I have read that the SE is such an improvement that it would be stupid to buy the old system. And even further more, I can't find either in Germany as well.

So this is what I'm not sure about. Should I order the Tannoys from Germany for a rather reasonable price, or start looking for a store in England that would be willing to ship the KEFs or the B&Ws to Estonia. Would it be worth it? The price difference between 6.1 Tannoys and 5.1 B&Ws is about 500 GBP and I guess about nothing if comparing to the KEFs.

So, any ideas out there? What should I do?

Help would be greatly appreciated, because as you probably can see, I can't go to Germany or the UK to listen to either of the speakers so I will be making my decision based solely on What Hi-Fi and your opinions.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Any thoughts?

What to you think about the Yamaha YSP-4000? Would it be okay?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Quite a dilemma I see! The Tannoy Arena package is still extremely good and I'd have no reservations in recommending it. However, strictly speaking, the KEF KHT3005SE is the better-sounding package, which is why it's our 2007 Product of the Year (but I do mean the SE version, not the previous non-SE one).

If you can get them, I'd go with the KEFs to partner your Onkyo receiver. We do love the B&Ws too, but £500 is a lot extra to pay.

A

Anonymous

Think I'm seeing different recommendations regarding the tannoy arena (not lite) vs kef 3005se across the board here..
Which are the best for music?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts