What speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just received my Yamaha RXV 1065 amp and will buy speakers next payday.

I am lookin at these on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KEF-KHT-2005-3K1-5-1-Surround-Sound-Speaker-Package-/320542553260?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item4aa1d334ac

The brief from the wife is that she would prefer smaller/style type speakers, hence the KEF's. But would be happy for the traditional box style speakers if the sound is going to blow her away and the price is right. Budget is about £500. As I presently live in Amsterdam I will also need to factor in postage. I have looked here in Amsterdam but prices for electronics are rather high.

So... go with the Kef's on ebay or go for something else and where can I get the best deal?

Looking forward to your advice.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There are a number of KEF speaker packages that retailers aren't allowed to sell on ebay, the 5005 and 9000 being two of them. Retailers know this, so I'd check into this seller with KEF themselves and ask if they have an account and if so, see if they're selling genuine UK stock - if not, you may not have a warranty. Do they have a store? All account holders must have a bricks and mortar outlet, if not, no account.

The 1065 will drive the 2005's no problem, and match very well. If you're after a normal hi-fi speaker package, you check out the Q Acoustics products.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for that piece of information. I have sent off an email to Kef and I await their answer. Hopefully I'll get a response sometime early in the week. I will also send off an enquiry to the ebayer with regards to warranty etc.

So, if I don't go for these speakers, then which ones? You recommend Q acoustics. Do you mean the 2000 series.

What other speakers should I look for to compliment this amp? I tend to buy stuff to last. So I don't want to make do, but rather get something good first time.

Suggestions?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd ignore what ebayers tell you the warranty is - it's down to the manufacturer as to whether they will service it or not.

Yes, the 2000 series would be a good range to look at. Unfortunately at this price point there's not a great deal of options if you want to avoid small satellite and cheap lifestyle speakers....

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the prompt reply.

So then, keeping it under £1000, what would you go for?

Obviously I would prefer something nearer the £500 region.

michael hoy

FrankHarveyHiFi:
There are a number of KEF speaker packages that retailers aren't allowed to sell on ebay, the 5005 and 9000 being two of them. Retailers know this, so I'd check into this seller with KEF themselves and ask if they have an account and if so, see if they're selling genuine UK stock - if not, you may not have a warranty. Do they have a store? All account holders must have a bricks and mortar outlet, if not, no account.

The 1065 will drive the 2005's no problem, and match very well. If you're after a normal hi-fi speaker package, you check out the Q Acoustics products.

Sorry to jump in here, David can you tell me if the 5005.2 are being phased out, and if so any known replacement.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
brendanm: So then, keeping it under £1000, what would you go for?

Obviously I would prefer something nearer the £500 region.

Spending a little more opens things up. A Monitor Audio Bronze BR5 package currently comes in under £1k with their current price reduction, or even cheaper if you're happy with standmounts. There's also possible models from KEF's C series and Wharfedale's Diamond 10 series.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
A few manufacturers like to keep their plans secret nowadays due to dealers who have nothing better do than gossip. Once I hear anything from a manufacturer that I'm allowed to say, it'll be reported
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Thinking about the Q acoustics 2000 cinema pack, but what is this ornage light of death?

Should I be worried and do these speakers match the amp or should i push the boat out a little more?

I apologise for these inane questions, but once I purchase the speakers, I'm stuck with them for the next 10 years.

A

Anonymous

Sorry about that typo. I meant orange light of death.

see here http://whathifi.com/Review/Q-Acoustics-2000-Series/UserReviews/

A

Anonymous

Hi Brendanm, if you can stretch your budget a little I would get the K2 Subwoofer with the KEF 2005 sats - I find this a good combo with my Sony 2400es. From memory I paid a £700 for this package from Richer Sounds a few months back.

A

Anonymous

Well, I just bought the Kef speakers from ebay. I linked to them in my original post at the top of the page.

I had an email from Kef comfirming this guy is an authorised retailer and that the warranty will be covered.

Now, cables... I have a long roll of good speaker cable already. However it is 10 years old. Does this matter? Surely cable doesn't go off.

What cable should I buy for the subwoofer?

My apologies again for the stupid questions but I do need to shop wisely (who doesn't) as this kit must last and be affordable.

A

Anonymous

Hi,
Can you tell me who the supplier was please?

Thanks,
Alex.

A

Anonymous

Just to clarify, the KHT5005.2 is NOT going to phased out soon, as suggested in the last copy of What HiFi Sound and Vision. Also, it is only available in Gloss Black, (we discontinued the silver in November 2008).

Thanks,
Alex.

michael hoy

Alex Foxon:Just to clarify, the KHT5005.2 is NOT going to phased out soon, as suggested in the last copy of What HiFi Sound and Vision. Also, it is only available in Gloss Black, (we discontinued the silver in November 2008).

Thanks,
Alex.

Alex, thanks for the info I will re add these to my list.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts