WHAT SPEAKERS WITH MARANTZ PM7001?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI ALL I NEED A HELP TO CHOOSE SPEAKERS FOR MY LIVING ROOM (4Mx3M)

I AM THINKING TO GET B&W 684 OR 685+STANDS BUT DO NOT NOW WITCH

SPEAKERS WILL BE BETTER FOR MY ROOM

THANKS

A

Anonymous

Hello,

In a room that size I'd expect stand mounts to almost always sound better - *if* you need more bass, a good sub kept on a tight leash will likely offer tighter and more room-tailored bass than floorstanders, especially the 684s.

I've had the PM7001, and the PM7001KI, with the matching SACD player too, for a time. I would strongly recommend that you avoid Quad and Wharfdale speakers with the 7001 series amps - these particular Marantz components need something much more excitable (like the 685s) to liven up the overall presentation. Having said that, I really don't like the 685s with anything I'm afraid, so personally I would suggest something from Epos, Dali, Monitor Audio, Usher or even Klipsch to help add some sparkle and kick to the super-smooth 7001 sound.

On a more positive note, while I am saying that these Marantz units are very smooth, they are also very "high-quality", and I expect you could spend up to £1000 on speakers and not humiliate this amp, if the sonic characteristics are complimentary. ATC or a highish-end speaker from Focal might be good, if you can outlay that like of cash.

Hope that helps. Of course, a home trial is what you need, ideally!

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I've got the PM7001 and SA7001 combination and i use them with B+W 685's in a room very similar in size to yours. I cannot tell you how they compare to other speakers as i've not tried others, but i can tell you that i've abolutely no complaints with the results i get from them.

As everyone on here who asks for advise wil be told - try to audition a few different combinaions and see what suits you best, but as i say, i think the 7001's with the 685's is a great little setup.

T

the record spot

They might work rather well with the new EB Acoustics boxes which just picked up speaker of the year. Main benefit being you can only try them out at home anyway on 30 day approval. Worth a try I think. Personally, I'd be seeking out something like the Leema Xeros, Quadral Pico, in addition to the EBs. Floorstander-wise, I'd suggest a good used example of the Mission 75 series which partner the Marantz gear very well.

TRENDING THREADS