What speakers for Yamaha a-s500

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Could anyone shed some light I've got the Yamaha amp and monitor audio bx2 speakers along with a M/A radius 360 sub but it's not blowing me away does anyone think the mordant short aviano 2 would suit better these will be wall mounted

Any advise would be great thanks

Dave

Think I explained on a different thread (possibly yours), that the Yamaha 500, according to reviews, is very lively. The MAs have similar traits so unless you have something that'll equalise the sound such as a smooth/warm source and/or forgiving room acoustics you'll probably experience an edgy disparity to the sound.

Either experiment with room acoustics or amp or speakers. Something, somewhere will need to be adapted or changed.

If you change speakers look at Focal, Epos or maybe Q Acoustics. If the budget allows PMC DB1is.

matthewpiano

When you say the Yamaha isn't blowing you away, what is it about the sound that isn't quite doing it for you? What volume levels do you listen at? What do you want more or less of in the sound?

I have owned an A-S500 in the past, as well as some BX2s, so hopefully I can help you.

Nuwidol

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I've got an AS500 that I use on my computer rig. I've used it with a quite a few pairs of budget speakers including MA BR2, B&W DM303, B&W DM309, B&W 601S3 & a pair of Dali Lektor 2.

I know what you mean about the MA. They lasted all of 30 minutes connected to the amp & I wasn't impressed at all.

Out of all the speakers I've listed there I probably enjoy the B&W range the most. I found the Dalis to sound fantastic on certain types of music (piano especially was lovely) but ultimately I thought the treble had a slightly hard edge & was a little harsh. This is something I cannot deal with at all though. I can settle for slightly bloated bass or other bad traits but I can't deal with harsh treble.

If you can arrange a listen with a pair of B&W 685s or the Dali Lektor 2s then you might find setting you like.

A

Anonymous

No the amp is fine I like the way the yamahas sound it's like what Nuidol wrote they do sound harsh and I'm no expert by any means but I think they lack in the middle too bass is not a problem as I have the sub (which is fantastic btw) music source is mainly off the iPad / iPhone occasional cd /vinyl and DAB volume is mainly reasonable (you can hear each other talk) but the BBQ do tend to turn into party's so it gets cranked up (never past 2oclock on the volume knob) but I can't help thinking that maybe the aviano 2 or at a push the mezzo 1 which is at the very top of my budget I'm tied to RS cause they don't do cash refunds on non faulty goods so I'm afraid it's out of them 2

Thanks for the replys much appreciated

Dave

A

Anonymous

Are the cambridge audio S30 speaker a good choise to work with the yamaha a-s500 or the r-s500?

Thanks

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Davedavedave1981 said:
Could anyone shed some light I've got the Yamaha amp and monitor audio bx2 speakers along with a M/A radius 360 sub but it's not blowing me away ...

Davedavedave1981 said:
... in a room approx 15m2 music source will be iPad iPhone vinyl and the occasional cd some times we do like it loud !!!

Davedavedave1981 said:
...but the BBQ do tend to turn into party's so it gets cranked up (never past 2oclock on the volume knob)...

From those comments I suspect you need a much more powerful amp.

2 o'clock on the volume control of any system I've ever owned (especially though 90dB efficiency speakers) would get me an ASBO and probably fry either the amp or tweeter coils!

I suggest something cheap, but powerful, from ebay just for 'thrashing' at parties and BBQs.

SPLs outdoors are hopeless. Moreso if you are turning it up enough to sound loud above the noise from a garden full of partying guests. I'd be suprised if the sausages and steaks are the only things getting BBQ'ed :)

[Update] There is a bloke here who needs to lose a pair of Cerwin Vega! floorstanders with 12" woofers...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/rooms-influence-to-bass-performance

Good luck anyhow.

A

Anonymous

I'm surprised the BX2's can get to the 2 o'clock mark with the AS500. I've had mine upto just past 12 o'clock on 1 occasion and playing something with a good low end I could hear the mid/bass driver sounding like it's hitting it's voice coils!

A

Anonymous

Ear, thanks. Any special reason to say that? I am looking for a low cost HIFI system and i looked at the great reviews that s30 and A-s500 amplifiers. Any other low cost speaker sugestion or any other amplifier for the S30?

Best Regards

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
well i'm currentlyc running the CA351a and MS Aviano 1 XR and the combo is fantastic. So simple.... Its like they were designed together or for each other. Odd that really

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts