What speakers for Marantz PM7200

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've recently moved into a house where a have a nice HiFi room. As my old DIY boxes with Dynaudio components died I need to buy a new set of speakers. I used to listen mainly classic and jazz music and some electronics and mainly in ClassA configurartion (2x25W RMS @ 8Ohms). In Class A/B the amp operates at 2x 95W RMS @ 8Ohms but I rarely use this combination.

As I live in a strange country where all the electronic shops stores only budget 5.1 sorround systems I'm not able to make any audio-tests as upmarket speakers are only available on request of costumers. Through surfing on internet and manufacturers' sites I found, on paper/monitor, that some good loudspeakers could be: B&W 685 / CM1 / CM5, MonitorAudio RX2 Silver, KEF Q300, Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC4, Dynaudio Excite X12 / Focus 110 / DM 2/6, 2/7. For Dynaudio I'm not sure if it will bi OK as they are only 4Ohm?!

Any suggestions will be worth, so please as many comments as possible.

Thanks in advance, Mark

Welcome...

The Marantz you have is a cracking amp (I almost bought one myself many moons ago). Try to avoid bass-heavy speakers as this can result in a sterile bass response. I would look at Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s, Mordaunt Shorts you mentioned, Epos M12is, ProAc Tablettes or Monitor Audio RS1s. I personally wouldn't recommend the RX or BX range: although great speakers for the money, the bigger (and newer) MAs may produce too much bass for the Marantz to really shine, although I'm sure others will disagree. I found the 7200 to sound a little wooly-bassed presentation.

A

Anonymous

Superb amp and it'll work well with the likes of Dynaudio, B&W and Monitor Audio

It'll drive the M/A RS and RX range fine and wont be too OTT on bass so dont worry about that; the B&W 685's and 684's would work well as well...

For me the likes of the Monitor Audio RX1's or 2's or the BX5's would be a superb match
emotion-1.gif

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i agree that the ma later speakers are a touch bassy and i would look at a speaker like the cm1's which have a very smooth midrange and far better top end than the 685's which the tweeter needs controlling imo. the only draw back for the cm1's is that if you want mega deep/volume you may need to add a sub later on.

LUMAS:
I've recently moved into a house where a have a nice HiFi room. As my old DIY boxes with Dynaudio components died I need to buy a new set of speakers. I used to listen mainly classic and jazz music and some electronics and mainly in ClassA configurartion (2x25W RMS @ 8Ohms). In Class A/B the amp operates at 2x 95W RMS @ 8Ohms but I rarely use this combination.

As I live in a strange country where all the electronic shops stores only budget 5.1 sorround systems I'm not able to make any audio-tests as upmarket speakers are only available on request of costumers. Through surfing on internet and manufacturers' sites I found, on paper/monitor, that some good loudspeakers could be: B&W 685 / CM1 / CM5, MonitorAudio RX2 Silver, KEF Q300, Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC4, Dynaudio Excite X12 / Focus 110 / DM 2/6, 2/7. For Dynaudio I'm not sure if it will bi OK as they are only 4Ohm?!

Any suggestions will be worth, so please as many comments as possible.

Thanks in advance, Mark

Hi Mark

Dynaudio's DM 2/6, DM 2/7 or the Tannoy DC4 speakers should do the trick nicely

Btw, the DM 2/6 and DM 2/7's (whilst specified at 4ohms) are not a reactive load.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS