What speakers do you run from your Sonos setup?

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I posted similar on the computer based music forum but got no response, so thought I would be cheeky and try here, hope thats ok!

I have recently got a Sonos ZP90, which I am loving, and now use it as my primary source running through my Arcam AV9/P7 feeding my PMC FB1is. I have been really surprised as to the quality of lossless files used in this way, and am now awaiting delivery of a ZP120 for the bedroom. However, I am not sure what speakers to get.

When I went to my local sevenoaks today, and asked what they recommended, he said any standmount speaker up to about £500, but then went on to try and sell me a discounted Leema Xero at £450. Now this is an almost £800 speaker (nominal impedance 6 ohms and power rated up to 200 watts!), surely the little ZP120 cant handle this properly? Dont get me wrong, I will be delighted if it can and happy to spend more than my original budget on the speakers if warranted.

I am of course going to demo as many speakers as possible, although so far none of the dealers I have been to are set up to demo using the Sonos ZP120 which is a little annoying!

So my question is this: What speakers do you guys run off your Sonos systems? Or what have you heard that sounded good/bad? What is the most you would spend if using the ZP120?

Thanks in advance guys n gals

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I thought I replied to your other thread but clearly not! The ZP120 is actually a good amp and you can run a wide range of speakers on it happily. Of the smaller speakers we regularly supply the PMC DB1, KEF XQ10's and recently the Dali Menuet on the back of 120's . More often than not though the we use Tannoy Revolution DC4 and Dali Lektor 1''s and 2's which seems a more balanced price point.

For those looking for a slightly better sound we use a ZP90 into an amp and then in to speakers.

A

Anonymous

Hi Gregvet

I would recommend not getting the ZP120 and speakers and just get an Sonos S5 instead. The sound from this is fantastic and will fill have no problems filling a room with sound. It would also be a neater solution and one which you could move around the house until you had more S5/zoneplayers.

Cheers

Jay

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Jay, and you are right that makes a lot of sense. In fact it was my original plan, however I was bored at work and found a ZP120 for £350 online, and convinced myself it was a better idea.

More to the point, speaker shopping is my main pleasure in life, and a ZP120 allows me to do this some more. I have no more rooms that need filling with sound, so flexibility not really an issue, but absolute sound quality is important.

Plus its already on the way, and I do not believe I am a strong enough man to send it back!

A

Anonymous

I use a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 8i's with my ZP120 in my bedroom system and it sounds great. I didn't buy the MA's specifically for use with the ZP120, they were a spare set of speakers I had lying around doing nothing. I've just bought an S5 for the kitchen and would highly recommend it for casual listening.

A

Anonymous

I run my ZP120 into a pair of DIY ProAc 1SC in the bedroom and my ZP90 into the NaimUniti (via coaxial) and Quad 22L2 in the living room. I find the former to sound a bit thin and I prefer the fuller (but less detailed) sound I get from the Quad speakers.

Personally, unless there is no room (e.g. kitchen/bathroom), I would prefer to opt for the ZP90 purely because it is much more flexible and allows a lot more experimental which is always fun. I used to run the ZP90 into DacMagic into my Pioneer SC-LX81. I have also experimented with coaxial into the AV amp, analogue into the AV amp, and using different speakers most of which I would not have been able to do with the ZP120 or S5.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts