What speakers and amps would you recommend for electronic music?

Fontanero

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I would like to get your opinion on the following matter: I'm helping my brother to buy a decent starter hifi set, and i could use some advice. I do have a lot of experience in the PA field, but not so much in the Hifi field.

My brother wants a decent hifi set, wich will be mostly used voor electronic music (Techno) and classic rock. The budget is somewhere between 1000 and 1200 euro's, but i talked him in to listening to systems with a maximum of 1500 euro, which shall only be considered if they are a big improvement in sound quality. Since he plays a lot of techno, the bass must be considered essential i think. The important question in that matter is: cheaper speakers and adding a subwoofer, or more expensive speakers wich have good bass themselfs?

Ofcourse i already did some research before consulting you, so here were my thoughts on the matter.

Polk Audio tsi400 combined with a decent amplifier: I heard the polk TS range performed well in electronic music.

Wharfdale diamond 10.5 (althoug they only reach to 35 Hz)

Maybe a Boston acoustics combined with a Jamo 200 sub (for example)

I do really like the looks of the Monitor Audio BX range, and i heard it has great and precise audio quality, but that you shouldn't stress it to much, and that its more a speaker for delicate music, rather than playing loud techno.

I would really appreciate if you had some advice on the matter!

(My reputation as an audiophile is on the line here;))

Best regards,

Jelle

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Fontanero said:
Hello everyone,

I would like to get your opinion on the following matter: I'm helping my brother to buy a decent starter hifi set, and i could use some advice. I do have a lot of experience in the PA field, but not so much in the Hifi field.

My brother wants a decent hifi set, wich will be mostly used voor electronic music (Techno) and classic rock. The budget is somewhere between 1000 and 1200 euro's, but i talked him in to listening to systems with a maximum of 1500 euro, which shall only be considered if they are a big improvement in sound quality. Since he plays a lot of techno, the bass must be considered essential i think. The important question in that matter is: cheaper speakers and adding a subwoofer, or more expensive speakers wich have good bass themselfs?

Wharfdale diamond 10.5 (althoug they only reach to 35 Hz)

Maybe a Boston acoustics combined with a Jamo 200 sub (for example)

I do really like the looks of the Monitor Audio BX range, and i heard it has great and precise audio quality, but that you shouldn't stress it to much, and that its more a speaker for delicate music, rather than playing loud techno.

I would really appreciate if you had some advice on the matter!

Have a word with Audiotec in the Netherlands. They might have one or two pairs of ADM9Ts left, couple these with a sub.

There is a matching AVI sub, but I have no idea of its cost, other subs can be integrated well though.

As for which system is best for electronic music, a good system should be good with all music.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm also a big fan of electronic dance music (mostly hard trance and dubstep). This is one of the main reasons why I bought the AVI Neutron Five 2.1 system which has a large 10" subwoofer that can produce very good quality deep bass. The sound quality of the matching stereo speakers is first rate too.

Included in the system is 300 watts of amplification with both digital and analogue inputs so that you can connect any source you like. For the price it's the best sounding system that's capable of reproducing bass down to 30Hz that I've ever heard.

AVI have stopped making them now but I think that Bartletts HiFi shop might still have a few available if you're interested.

If you can afford the AVI ADM9T speakers together with their matching subwoofer they're the best ones to go for because they sound better than the Neutron Five system. But if the ADM9T plus subwoofer is over your budget then the cheaper Neutron Five 2.1 system is well worth consideration.

Clicky

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
How big is his listening room? How loud would he want to play it? Is he willing to buy 2nd hand? What country does he live in? What's more important to him: sound quality per pound spent or Wife Acceptance Factor?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts