What speaker type do you want

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Well for the moment all in one actives aren’t appealing at this moment in time which I won’t go in to as people get upset.

I have heard ATC actives in my room and they were nice. I’m not a fan ATC passives again won’t go into that.

never heard open baffle and as they tend to be big I don’t think I ever will

3 way high efficiency passives are what i have a the moment. And tbh will probably be my last system. Ive heard nothing that would me want to change.

if that’s what you where asking that is

But surely the times are changing with active speakers incorporating dsp and the resurgence of valve amps
You have lost me there. Times maybe changing as to what is available on the market, however people are normally set in their ways. People that want active speakers already have them. What has the so called resurgence in valve amps got to do with it.
There isn't one by the way

Gray

But surely the times are changing with active speakers incorporating dsp and the resurgence of valve amps
Not everyone wants DSP.
Some that have tried it, didn't like the sound it thought was correct.
There are other ways they could give DSP a try if they wanted to.

Personally, I've always had standmount passives.
As a PMC owner, I wouldn't mind giving their Result 6 active a go - but having just bought a new integrated amp, that won't be happening any time soon.

jizer

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
The valve amplifier market is booming but not so much in the UK. Valve amps require high sensitivity speakers which is why they are on the list. I'm trying to find if there is a desire from forum members for a particular type of loudspeaker which they find difficult to locate or hear in the uk

The valve amplifier market is booming but not so much in the UK. Valve amps require high sensitivity speakers which is why they are on the list. I'm trying to find if there is a desire from forum members for a particular type of loudspeaker which they find difficult to locate or hear in the uk
Which do you consider to be high sensitivity out of the two!?
Because bringing valve amplifiers into a list that includes active speakers is a nonsense.

jizer

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
You were the one who stated there is no resurgence in valve amps ..there is. It is a simple question as to whether people would like to listen to other types of loudspeaker. If people are buying valve amps they may want to listen to high efficiency loudspeakers. Would people like to hear open baffle loudspeakers or active speakers. No we don't stick with what we have we look for ways to improve our systems and sometimes that means trying new ways.

Friesiansam

Speaker ownership is for me, consigned to the past. My last pair, which I owned for many years, were Hitachi HS 330s. Big stand mounters with aluminium drivers and, huge by today's stand mount standards, 25cm woofers.
d703be3dfb6d3bb32025c73cfec7a806.jpg

Reactions: WayneKerr

AJM1981

what loudspeaker type are you most interested in, what would you most like to hear in your room 1 active, 2 passive, 3 open baffle,

There is a little categorisation issue. Active or passive is not really audible in general terms. It is just a way of operating. If I have to make a choice here, I think I would prefer the traditional set with an amp as a hub. Already used active monitors for production goals

I miss choices between open baffle and other forms. I don't have one hill to die on, I like variety. Open baffle is great for certain kinds music but lacks punch for others. I have a pair that has a semi drop shaped enclosure which falls right between a traditional box and open baffle sound wise. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Speaker ownership is for me, consigned to the past. My last pair, which I owned for many years, were Hitachi HS 330s. Big stand mounters with aluminium drivers and, huge by today's stand mount standards, 25cm woofers.
d703be3dfb6d3bb32025c73cfec7a806.jpg
If speaker ownership is a thing of a past to you what will you listen to music, TV and films through? Why are you on a hi-fi forum if speaker ownership is a thing of the past to you?

Reactions: Emark600

SteveR750

I've got a pair of £200 KRK Rokit desktop active monitor speakers in my office, powered directly by my JDS Element 2 headphone amp. Connected to my pc and Roon, I've EQd out the bass port spike, and they sound great, bonkers value for money.
If I had the cash and the inclination, I'd head straight to ATC and buy a pair of active scm50. Then reinforce my house, street, driveway etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears
You were the one who stated there is no resurgence in valve amps ..there is. It is a simple question as to whether people would like to listen to other types of loudspeaker. If people are buying valve amps they may want to listen to high efficiency loudspeakers. Would people like to hear open baffle loudspeakers or active speakers. No we don't stick with what we have we look for ways to improve our systems and sometimes that means trying new ways.
Valve amplifiers have always sold to a certain faction. Whilst different manufacturers are creating them and, having d spoken to UK dealers, there would appear to be no more demand now than years ago....
This may not be the case in other parts of the world though.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Most people will tend to stick with whichever type they already own in my opinion
Agreed. On paper, active systems seem sensible due to no speaker-based X-over soaking up current. The problem with changing to active is you need to change more than the speakers. I've heard open baffle speakers (Tangent?) that weren’t that big but needed to be against a wall to obtain bass. How efficient they were, I’ve no idea.

Agreed. On paper, active systems seem sensible due to no speaker-based X-over soaking up current. The problem with changing to active is you need to change more than the speakers. I've heard open baffle speakers (Tangent?) that weren’t that big but needed to be against a wall to obtain bass. How efficient they were, I’ve no idea.
it would appear that some, but not all, open baffle speakers are quite efficient.
Cannot say I have ever had the need to listen to any.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts