Question What sound mode was used in What HiFi review for testing A80J surround eg. Cinema or Dolby Audio?

mcarans

Dec 27, 2021
Visit site
In What HiFi's review of the A80J, it is said of its audio capabilities that "It may not go quite as wide as the A90J, but the A80J/A84J is still capable of extending effects a good way beyond the TV’s edges, doing a good job with obvious surround effects, such as Joi’s disembodied voice when K returns to his apartment in Blade Runner 2049." What TV sound mode was used in the test (eg. "Cinema" or "Dolby Audio") and was it used with defaults or tweaked?

mcarans

Dec 27, 2021
Visit site
Check out direct comparison review:

I think there has been some confusion. I wasn't asking for a comparison between different TV models. What I want to know is what sound mode eg. "Dolby Audio" or "Cinema" (and any customisations from the defaults if any) was used for the part of the review I quoted.

mcarans

Dec 27, 2021
Visit site
Since posting, I have experimented with the TV's "Dolby Audio" sound mode for the internal speakers. Out of the box, it sounds tinny compared to "Cinema".

In case it helps anyone, here is how I have improved it, at least for my ears. I used the equaliser in the classic smiley settings (as described here) which helped. Maximising the surround effect seems to work well and I also turned off Dolby compression.

I put 125Hz on +6, 250Hz on +4, 500Hz on +2, 1kHz on 0, 2kHz on 0, 4kHz on +2 and 8kHz on +4.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts