What smartphone is on your upgrade horizon?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm definitely going to get an iPhone 5 when they come out, i reckon it'll be slightly bigger in size than the 4S but have a 4 inch screen that'll at least retain the same ppi, i think it'll be the best smartphone of the year by far ;)

I'm looking forward to checking out the new HTC One X too, love the way HTCs are made, solid as a rock. The Galaxy S3 should also be something special, though i hope it's better built than the GS2, and weighs a bit more (i like a solid feeling phone), it'll have a high res amoled screen (about time).

I have a Sony Experia S here at the minute, it's a really lovely phone with an excellent camera, better than the 4s even (maybe!!). The screen is stunning too though not as good as the iPhone which is more natural IMO, strangely it's not the smoothest at scrolling either.

It'll be interesting to see what Nokia can come up with, Windows 8 may just be the first version to really catch on, will Nokia be able to build a phone good enough to help it do so?

What smartphone are you most looking forward to? And what will be 2nd best after the iPhone 5?

:)

Paul.

Unless iOS6 is designed to be more scalable for resolution, I can't see Apple changing the resolution for the 'New iPhone'. Which means if the phone gets bigger, the ppi will have to drop to maintain the same resolution. I personally hope they keep the same form factor, or at least if the screen does get a touch bigger they take the bezel right down to nothing. A 4" display at 960x640 would still be 288 ppi.

I'm sure the S3 will be awesome. Can't help feeling NokiSoft left it too late to join the party?

A

Anonymous

Is scaling really an issue? The ppi doubled from iPhone 3 to 4, i knew nothing about phones then, was that an issue?

Paul.

It was fine because it doubled. Just like the iPad 2 -> 'New iPad' doubled its ppi. But going 37% bigger for instance makes life harder for the App developers. Sticking to whole number multiples is ok. The key to a thriving smartphone is Apps, and the key to loads of Apps is to make the developers life easier (and make sure they get paid).

A

Anonymous

Ah got ya, makes sense. I don't know if a lower ppi on a larger screen is the way Apple will go though, not when all others are going in the opposite direction, that'd be risky.

I think Nokia changed OS too many times and lost their way, the new Lumia 800 is very nice though, they're heading in the right direction again, after er "Meego" :doh:

I'm actually quite underwhelmed by most of the phones today.

iPhone is very good. Superb phone & stable software. Strongest after sales support. But after a while, it gets boring. You can't customise as much.

Android software is very good, but is let down by a majority of phone manufacturers. Motorola screens freeze frequently. Samsung & HTC are racing towards making super computers for our pockets, conveniently forgetting the basics; call quality. They often hang or lose their signal (although admittedly, my HtC Desire did not face these problems). Their after sales support is terrible, amongst the worst in the industry. When I sent my HTC phone for repairs, they sent me a replacement which was all scratched. I could tell by looking at the phone, that they have no respect for the devices & don't look after them properly. This is the sole reason I won't be buying an HTC again.

I checked Nokia Lumia 800 last Sunday. It actually has the best touch screen amongst all the smartphones today. Even the build quality is outstanding. Windows is surprisingly good, & Office is the killer app. But I'm sure even Windows will get boring, faster than iOS.

I want to go back to basics. My next phone will be from either Sony or Nokia. They're the manufacturers who can offer the best call quality in my opinion. They both have decent after sales support, although not as good as Apple's.

Sliced Bread

I checked out the lumina 800 too. Really nice build and and interface thats smoother and slicker than the iPhone 4gs imo, despite hardware specs. The lumina 900 looks like it'll be good, too.

No idea whats going to be best though. There is just not enough solid information on any of the phones (except one x) to make that decision.

I'm up for renewal next month, but I may wait to see what the s3 is like. The photos, if real, are really nice; wall to wall screen and a little thicker than a credit card :)

Sliced Bread

Some good points there BB.

bigboss said:
I want to go back to basics.

Back to basics is high on the agenda for me too. I don't really care if IOS / Android has 100 million apps available. I would rather have just a few well built apps like office (excel looks really nice on the phone).

bigboss said:
Their after sales support is terrible, amongst the worst in the industry. When I sent my HTC phone for repairs, they sent me a replacement which was all scratched.

Thank you! I was considering the HTC one X but that convinces me not too. Thinking about it, it took my father in law 6 months before HTC agreed to fix the motherboard in his Desire.

The Xperia S may be of interest! Although I must admit, I have had problems with Sony's aftercare too...not as bad as HTC's by the sound of it.

A

Anonymous

Yes, some good points there BB. I think Android is great, i like many of the larger screened phones that help show it of so well too, but i sometimes find myself tinkering with it too much, moving widgets here and there, resizing them, etc. This isn't a problem with Android of course, but with me, i never seem to leave it as is and just use it, iOS suits me better, every once in a while i'll change the wallpaper, and i'm happy :)

D3CYPH3R

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Only a few things are important to me, quality of call and the camera on the phone. Having used an Arc as a work phone i'm leaning towards getting the Xperia S or P. The only other phone i've comtemplates is the Lumina series, i've had a chance to play around with one and was pleasantly supprised at the quality feel and smoothness of use, but i'm still not convinced by the Metro interface.

Won't own another HTC, had my Desire a while and i find too many faults with it to consider another HTC, and samsung just don'thave the right quality feel for me having used a friends S2.

As for iPhone, i can see it's a quality product, but i just don't get on with the restrictive nature of it.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
HTC One maybe (probably the 4.3 inch S). I find 4.3 inches on my Desire HD to be around the ideal size. I squint at the iPhone screen. The Lumia 800 is nice, but has some similar restrictive aspects like iOS, and the screen is still a bit small.

If I'm spending that amount of money I WANT to faff around with it. If all I wanted was a phone, I'd get an old Nokia with a week long battery life, but then of course many people buy phones as status symbols these days.

These things are small hand-held computers. When I shop for software on a computer I want a choice of where I can buy it, and to be able to make my own mind up IF I want to buy it. Yes, that opens me up to more vulnerabilities, but then I'm an adult and should be able to make up my own mind, not some guy in Apple/Microsoft/etc HQ censoring me at source.

I appreciate not everyone wants to "faff" and are happy to be spoon-fed "what's best for them (sic)", and for them, the iOS and Winphone devices are perfect.

Saying all that, I'm going buy a tablet soon, and that will enable me not to worry so much about the phone. So I may end up with a a non-android phone after all!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
fr0g said:
I appreciate not everyone wants to "faff" and are happy to be spoon-fed "what's best for them (sic)", and for them, the iOS and Winphone devices are perfect.

Ah, good to see your usual, patronising comments :grin:

Yes, apologies for that, I didn't mean it to be patronising as such, but after reading back it does come across that way... oops. And I may very well end up being "spoon-fed" myself if I get this tablet I'm after.

Retne

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Having both an iPhone 4s and a Galaxy S II at the moment, I'm more likely to stick with the Galaxy brand. Although I will keep an eye on the Windows Phones - having played with the OS it really is quite refreshing.

The single biggest problem with the Galaxy is it's battery can die quite quickly, but when I took it snowboarding recently I found the phone lasted a couple of days - I guess me not prodding it all the time was a bigger cause of battery loss than I'd realised.

I suppose my view may change when we get ICS. My biggest worry there is more of a future worry - the hardware buttons going awol. Even Apple eventually relented with its mouse and added some buttons. I suspect most of us on these forums find hardware buttons useful on various bits of AV tech - they are just quite useful. But, there's cost, which comes into play.

I don't really see the advantage in having a heavy phone. I carry four things with me when I go out, and I'd rather have as light a phone as possible. If it borrows high tech from the plastics industry that's fine with me.

I don't really like the way Apple operates (in my mind it smacks a bit of the News Corp. way of doing things), so that's part of it, but the UI is not as consistent as I thought it would be. It's also not in any way intuitive (nor, really, is the Android OS) - of course there's my existing experience doing me a disservice as much as acting in my favour here.

R

Paul.

Sliced Bread said:
Nokia's 41 mega pixel 808 PureView perhaps? It's symbian, which is a shame, but the camera is said to be quite something.

More than a little bit sceptical of this, but happy to be proven wrong. Relying on that level of pixel binning seems odd to me. I get the lossless digital zoom concept, but I have always thought pixel size was king. Shall wait and see for real world sample photos.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
I want to go back to basics. My next phone will be from either Sony or Nokia.

I finally got my first smartphone (a hand-me-down from my brother) as I have a work phone (blackberry) so only need it for the odd personal overseas call. Nokia 97mini.

Awful phone. My son chewed it and it died. Which was a blessing.

Currently running a

41K6YXPB09L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Delighted with it!

Sliced Bread

Paul Hobbs said:
Sliced Bread said:
Nokia's 41 mega pixel 808 PureView perhaps? It's symbian, which is a shame, but the camera is said to be quite something.

More than a little bit sceptical of this, but happy to be proven wrong. Relying on that level of pixel binning seems odd to me. I get the lossless digital zoom concept, but I have always thought pixel size was king. Shall wait and see for real world sample photos.
The pictures I've seen are not mins boggling, but certainly the best I've seen from a phone.:)

Sliced Bread

Paul Hobbs said:
Sliced Bread said:

The pictures I've seen are not mind boggling, but certainly the best I've seen from a phone.:)

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
ooh.. said:
sometimes find myself tinkering with it too much, moving widgets here and there, resizing them, etc.

Precisely my view too. I was forever tinkering with my Desire and never seemed to get it just right. A happy compromise would be iOS but with active tiles for things like weather. As I've said before though, it came down to the keyboard and music quality for me. I simply liked the Apple keyboard better and thought the Dersire sounded awful. I even downloaded an iPhone keyboard emulator at one point.

I'm not convinced yet by Windows. Office is great, but it may be a while before it gets fully supported with other apps; remember how long it took Sonos to develop an Android variant?

I think Apple are at an interesting crossroads. Their current development is more evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Will iPhone users accept just another tweak to spec?

A

Anonymous

I sold my iPhone as i've changed networks and i couldn't get it unlocked. I'm using a GS2 at the moment and also added the iPhone keypad, the Samsung one is awful IMO, fantastic phone though, how could any phone be faster? The thing rockets along. I've found call quality to be poor though, i can hear others fine but they say i sound muffled, so i'll be moving it on tmw.

I'd found a brand new sealed Nokia Lumia 800 for a great price, e250 (euros) but pulled out of the deal to buy that when a friend told me they can't yet be used as a wifi hotspot :doh:

So i'm getting another Galaxy Nexus tmw, my second, i sold the first because the loudspeaker was so poor i couldn't hear youtube vids, call quality was good enough though, and the phone is fantastic, i'll just bring headphones to bed for my late night youtube sessions :)

I think there may be more than a tweak with the iPhone 5, it'll have at least a 4in screen IMO, and they'll need to offer more customisation options, the couple of screens full of app icons over a fixed background is stale now.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Ok i'm not that far gone in my 24 month contract for my iPhone 4S but already i know i want a bigger screen, maybe a 4" screen would do it but i don't want to go as large as the galaxy note :O

So i'm thinking maybe selling on my iPhone in july / Aug and looking out for a new phone that will be easer to watch when streaming TV and Video on the move but i have no idea what

Sliced Bread

I’m a complete hypocrite! Despite what I said in this (and other) threads, I have just ordered a HTC One X.

I was going to go for either an Xperia s, however I had a play with one and was not that impressed.

The Good:

The screen

The camera

The Bad:

The square edges uncomfortable in the palm of my hand

Even out of the box using Gingerbread with nothing running, the menus were a little jerkier than my two year old HTC Desire. If the phone is struggling now, what would it be like after a year’s use.

From what I can see the One X seems to be superb, but time will tell. I can return it in 14 days if it’s no good.

daveh75

Sliced Bread said:
From what I can see the One X seems to be superb, but time will tell. I can return it in 14 days if it’s no good.

Was considering a One X myself but 3 things are putting me off, only 32GB of storage, no option to add an SD card, or access to the battery being a unibody design.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts