What Smart Phone

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having just read the latest edition of What Smart Phone & USB Cable (formerly WHFSV), is it me, or is the content getting less and less ? I have to say that the mag has fallen way behind H**e C****a in terms of interest and amount of content.

Frankly, if it continues like this, I have to say I will become an ex customer.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Already did it months ago and already braced for the Flame Mail...

I miss the monthly publication on my doorstep but with no salary increase for four years and cost of living I thought that it had become a comic for the feeble minded. The phone articles as well as the Ju Ju flop regarding so many cable articles finally broke the camel's back. No hard feelings and I reiterate the fact that I miss some of the content, but then paying for fairy tales was not why I subscribed in the first instance.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I stopped buying the magazine last year. (I was buying three or four issues a year.)

Regardless of what I think of the quality/depth of reviews, the fact is that most of them are published here on the website within days (and sometimes before the magazine reaches the shops). That reduces the magazine's value.

I have not wanted to upgrade any kit for a couple of years either. This diminishes my interest a bit.

The price is more than it costs to buy a 25 - 40 year-old HFN & RR (including postage) from ebay. These were far better written (by people who put their names to their articles), provided lots of testing data and are fascinating from a historical perspective.

On the whole, the old HFNs are just more absorbing. (The old WHF? issues I bought from the same era are equally absorbing albeit when taken with a spade full of salt!)

A recent WHF?S&V will have far superior photography than any magazine from a generation ago, but it won't provide me with more than about 10 minutes reading.

I don't blame WHF? They are just presenting the magazine in a way that people find more digestable nowadays (and one that doesn't require much time, or the investment of any effort, to consume).

I guess it's also important that there is not too much text to tax the eyes when reading the electronic versions on a smart phone or tablet. Short, zippy, flicky, swipey, punchy text and photos that don't take longer than a Tube journey or coffee break to read.

A

Anonymous

gel said:

Which is a fair point, and one I have already made. I can of course always vote with my feet, and may well do so, but in the meantime I can also provide customer feedback to WSPUSB that they can choose to act upon, or not.

As an ex customer, I would not have the moral credibility to give such feedback, unless asked for of course.

The fact remains:

What Hi Fi sales per month: 34330

Home Cinema Choice sales per month: 7210 (Is this the magazine you're referring to?)

Surely, What Hi Fi must be doing something right to reflect these figures.

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/just-137-out-516-uk-consumer-magazines-put-sales-year-year-full-breakdown-all-titles

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/advertise/

D

Deleted member 2457

Home Cinema Choice did not even review the Panasonic 50GT50, probably the most popular TV this last year!

D

Deleted member 2457

Paul. said:
gel said:
Home Cinema Choice did not even review the Panasonic 50GT50, probably the most popular TV this last year!

LED out sells plasma by significant margins, don't confuse popular on here with popular out there ;)

Okay, best then.
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

gel said:

Perhaps that is because their readership is a bit more upmarket ? ;)

Actually, to be fair, you can't argue with the numbers. If what WSPUSB is doing is selling, then they are going to continue doing it.

D

Deleted member 2457

cloverleaf146 said:
gel said:

Yeah I really don't think that is it.
smiley-smile.gif

And like you said, what readership?
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

gel said:
cloverleaf146 said:
gel said:

smiley-smile.gif

smiley-smile.gif

Hey, I'm not hear as a cheerleader for HCC, I'm sure they can fight their own battles. I just expressed a preference for their content, but I may well be in a minority on that, which is fine. If more people prefer the short attention span whizz bang youmust haveaniphone5oryouareadinosaur approach of WSPUSB, I'm very happy for them.

I feel though that is leaving my demographic.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
cloverleaf146 said:
Having just read the latest edition of What Smart Phone & USB Cable (formerly WHFSV), is it me, or is the content getting less and less ? I have to say that the mag has fallen way behind H**e C****a in terms of interest and amount of content. Frankly, if it continues like this, I have to say I will become an ex customer.

Seems to me this is your childlike response to the powers that be at WHF having contacted you privately to tell you to stop acting like a complete ****. It really is pathetic. The mods have promised to lock threads that have personal insults on them, so I'd like to make it very clear that I think you are an utter ****.

I'm sure WHF would not shed the smallest of tears at a wanker like you not buying their magazine. Indeed, I imagine a few glasses would be raised if you had no further association with WHF - including this forum - ever again.

D

Deleted member 2457

cloverleaf146 said:
gel said:
cloverleaf146 said:
gel said:

smiley-smile.gif

smiley-smile.gif

Hey, I'm not hear as a cheerleader for HCC, I'm sure they can fight their own battles. I just expressed a preference for their content, but I may well be in a minority on that, which is fine. If more people prefer the short attention span whizz bang youmust haveaniphone5oryouareadinosaur approach of WSPUSB, I'm very happy for them.

I feel though that is leaving my demographic.

:wave:

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Once again people, let's cool it. Hurling insults at each other doesn't solve anything. Some people like the magazine. Some don't. We can live with that, we're happy that the magazine (and website) are as successful as they are, which would suggest we are doing something right.

The Forums are a place for debate, which means we don't (ideally) want to stifle that debate or ban people unless they break the House Rules and we have to. But that should only be as a last resort.

A

Anonymous

Andy Clough said:
Once again people, let's cool it. Hurling insults at each other doesn't solve anything. Some people like the magazine. Some don't. We can live with that, we're happy that the magazine (and website) are as successful as they are, which would suggest we are doing something right.

The Forums are a place for debate, which means we don't (ideally) want to stifle that debate or ban people unless they break the House Rules and we have to. But that should only be as a last resort.

I missed that. Who's swearing now ? This is an on topic, non political thread people, lets get a perspective please. Why decend into profanities to try and make a point ?

If the magazine are happy in the direction they are travelling, and making money doing so, then my concerns regarding content are not going to be a concern to them.

Thats cool 8)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts