What should I get for £3,500 ?

noeyedeer

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
A high quality problem I know, but I have recently bought a nice 55" tv and am looking for a complement to that and a solution for my stereo needs in a single package. I have a minor issue... twin 2 year old boys that seem to have a destructive tendencies and a wife that is not as passionate about movies and music as I am, and therefore would select such items based on look and as few remotes as possible rather than sound quality.

For the above reasons, I am considering the Bose Lifestyle V25. I appreciate that Bose seems to be a dirty word on such forums, but it does tick the "lifestyle" boxes that suit my wife and children... everything in one box that can be locked away in a cabinet and controlled by a single remote, not to mention that I can also have a wireless solution for the rear speakers which ranks highly for me, as the twins will not have wires to investigate, and highly for my wife from an aesthetics perspective. Oh, and the fact that I am a bit of a numpty, and by all accounts the set up is fool proof, so at least I will be able to maximise the product rather than buying something that I am never able to fully utilise because I cannot set it up properly.

That said, I am reluctant to pursue this route as ultimately I am a value guy, and if I am going to spend this kind of money, it would bug me that I didn't end up getting my monies worth. I had considered the Yamaha sound bar YSP-2200 but I would not be getting the surround sound effect, which I think would annoy me whilst watching an action movie. I also understand that they are not up to much when it comes to playing music.

Following the What Hi-Fi reviews, the B&W MT-30 package clearly jumps out at me, however, this indicates that one has to be very choosy in what they partner the speakers with, something that frightens the life out of me as I could very well end up with great speakers that are poorly matched with the AV I choose. In addition, is there a competing product to the Bose SL2 wireless surround link that I could configure with such a speaker package?

Ultimately Bose sells because of the lifestyle elements as opposed to the sound quality. It would be great to have some advice on a competing package for the same money that would knock the socks off the Bose from a sound quality perspective, and yet was relatively straight forward to configure, even for a numpty like me.

I am grateful for any input/suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Bose is a good product. However ppl and myself seem to think it's overpriced!!

Consider Missiom M-Cubes partnered witha Pioneer amp. I also have a little one who is an explorer but I treat my setup the same as hot ovens and sharp knives!!! Leave alone!!!!

Good luck.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Depending on what your 'stereo needs' are, I'm not sure the B & W package will necessarily suit (having heard it at my friend's house I can't say I was even that impressed for movies but others will disagree). With your substantial budget you might want to consider Monitor Audio Apex or something like B&W 685s as fronts and style speakers as rears.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
The Apex are fantastic but if wifey doesn't like because of their size even tho small that's why I mentioned M-Cubes as these I guess can compare in size to Bose, it's just a thought.

1) You will get better sound for the money instead of the Bose. But if you're happy with it's sound, go for it. Try to compare with other packages if you want.

2) There are options of making your rear speakers wireless using this for example: http://www.kef.com/GB/SurroundSound/Wireless/Wireless

3) You can invest in a universal remote to replace all your existing remotes. That way, you won't have to be tied to one brand. Look at Logitech Harmony range of remotes.

One more thing. You can lock away all your equipment in the cabinet & yet operate them using an IR repeater. Some models of Logitech Harmony remote have a built-in wireless for the same. Check my home cinema system for example (click the link in my signature). Not a cable or equipment in sight. Everything operated by just 1 remote (Logitech Harmony One).

noeyedeer

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks for all your suggestions... very useful indeed. I will be sure to check out the various Mission options with the Pioneer amp... not to mention the KEF wireless system. To be honest I had already seen this having surfed around the internet a little and had considered the wireless KEF's for my rear speakers, to accompany something different in the front. All that said, is it pretty straight forward to set such a system up with potentially two different speaker varieties, and a seperate receiver? The wiring itself does not put me off; my concern is arranging it for the main seating location. On my old receiver it was pretty straight forward as you would plug in the distance of each speaker from the seating position. I guess 10 years on it is still the same? Or do receivers come with location toggles like the Yamaha sound bar, or the Bose headset?

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Have you also considered Focal Dome 5.1? As quality "lifestyle" styled home cinema speakers, they take some beating. The subwoofer also looks like a mini R2D2 which is very cool!

A

Anonymous

assuming you went for the bose, where/on what would you be putting the front 3 speakers?

is your tv wall mounted or on an AV cabinet?

any decent av receiver will have a mirophone that you simply plug in, and leave in your seating position, and it sets up each speaker to suit.

i've never heard the bose, maybe it's decent for movies but i can't see it being much cop for music, and as has been said, you can hide an av receiver away and still use it (and everything else) with one remote.

if you could accomodate the seperates somehow, i think you'll get far more enjoyment in the long term.

a few photos of your room layout would be good?

i wouldn't worry too much about getting the right avr for whatever speakers, if you find a speaker package that suits your room/wife/etc, just say what it is on here and you'll get a few options for avr's that will work well..

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Have a look out for the Tannoy Arena Highline 500. Was the high end style speaker champion ion WHF for a long time. Used to be about £2500, but now around £1200. Will batter the MT-30 which I also wasn't that enthralled by when I demod it, and should be more in Apex territory SQ wise.

If they are too big normal Arena's may be an option, and are now about at very cheap prices, (to my ears they also bested the MT-30, and are musical). In bronze the Arena speakers look fantastic, though obviously they have to match your other decor.

The Arena speakers aren't tiny but they are stylish, at least to me.

You could then get a quality amplifier as well. The Denons seem to go well with the Tannoys to me, but they seem to be OK with many different makes. Marantz may be worth a punt since you're also into music, but Denons to me are also musical. If you can manage an instruction manual, the modern amps will pretty much set themselves up to give a good sound.

I have my equipment behind a frosted glass door in a unit, so don't even need any IR repeaters, though obviously the equipment is still visible to an extent. If you're at all PC literate the Harmonys are easy to set up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts