what s best suited to my focal chorus 706

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I currently owned a pair of focal chorus 706 and in the process of buying a new amp.So far I am keen,pretty settled on the cyrus 8xp or naim(either 5i or xs, still got to auditioned them to really see if there s a massive sonic difference and justify twice the price for xs).I was wondering if any of those amps may be .suited to the focal 706.Eventually I will upgrade speaker but that won t be before another year(hopefully sooner if finance allow)

A

Anonymous

demoing is your safest bet. what are you upgrading from? what don't you like about the sound of your current amp / what more would you like from it.

is there a certain sound you want or a type of music you listen to most?

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
i got basic set up at the moment as spent my money on home theatre first, which cost me an arm and leg and now concentraing on hifi part.focal 706 were the old surround of the ht and as for amp i bought a basic denon just to get me thru..now that i saved up a little m keen to expand hifi..source will b e laptop(all cd in flac format or lossless),dac well m not sure yet,waiting for arcam rdac review.as for sound i like neutral.what goes in goes out.i listen to the naim xs ages ago in less than perfect condition and was not impress but will give it another go soon.

A

Anonymous

if you want absolute neutrality then you've got to start from source through to speakers. fortunately the focal's show a good amount of detail and are easy to drive.

start with the DAC though. Arcam tends to be quite nuetral, and i've heard nothing but good things about the rdac. Have a look into the DACmagic by cambridge and the M1DAC by musical fidelity also. These are both great DAC's and both have balanced out which is a major plus if you want reproduction to be as close to the original as possible.

obviously the balanced output is only a plus if you use it though so the amp will need balanced inputs.

what are you budgeting for at this stage?