What results should I expect when adding a stereo amp to an AV receiver?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Just added my Pioneer stereo amp to the pre outs of my Denon, so that it is driving my front speakers at all times......

I just wondered what results others have got when using this kind of set up?

Obviously this is the best way to hear a cd player, rather than just using the AV receiver, but do you find the front speakers and centre speakers work well together in this format?

I did have it set up as two independent systems, but have got annoyed with it because of all the swapping of cables at the back of the speakers all the time...... :shame:

naughty573

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Because of the pre-out output voltage on the denon receivers when you use a separate power amp on the front speakers only and leave the other speakers powered by the receiver you dont really notice too much power difference at any given level .... if the power amp has extra power all this means is that you could probably go above your previous highest volume pot settings

As an example if you could previously hear distortion at -20db you will probably now hear it at -10db so everything will now seem louder. But at your previous highest settings in HT mode it wont seem any louder while it does now have the ability to go louder without any distortion if you do pick the levels up. Listening to CD's directly off the stereo amp will automatically seem more powerful than using the receiver but obviously this is because you are using the pre-amp stage of the stereo amp rather than using the pre-amp stage of the receiver.

Hope that this makes sense to you

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Perfect sense.....

I'm finding the front speakers are missing a little sparkle when using this Pioneer over the Denon. But its adding a little more depth to vocals when used with tv/movies.... :dance:

I'm assuming because the signal goes through the pre amp of the Denon, then pre amp section of the Pioneer before it gets to the power amp, it may be affecting the detail offered to the KEF speakers?

Would a more modern amp improve things, or is it the difference between a Denon and Pioneer amp? (Denon offers more detail?) If so, would the Marantz PM6004 improve things as Marantz is part of Denon, so I assume they will have similar sound?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 said:
Perfect sense.....

I'm finding the front speakers are missing a little sparkle when using this Pioneer over the Denon. But its adding a little more depth to vocals when used with tv/movies.... :dance:

I'm assuming because the signal goes through the pre amp of the Denon, then pre amp section of the Pioneer before it gets to the power amp, it may be affecting the detail offered to the KEF speakers?

Would a more modern amp improve things, or is it the difference between a Denon and Pioneer amp? (Denon offers more detail?) If so, would the Marantz PM6004 improve things as Marantz is part of Denon, so I assume they will have similar sound?

Matching sound signatures as close as possible is always a good idea, and if possible, so does getting an amp with an HT by-pass...like Arcam, Monitor Audio and Leema (I think).

I have this set up, as I'm prepared to compromise a little (very little), to maximize 2 channel quality.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
So you think the Marantz PM6004 might be a good idea then?

I'm sure it will work well with my Marantz CD63 KI cd player, but I'm not so sure it would be an upgrade from my Pioneer A-605R amp for two channel playback (5 star WHF in 1996 - RRP was £400)....it may be just offer a different presentation?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with the idea, but I'm not familiar enough with these amps to give you a definite answer....sorry.

My hunch would be to wait until you have £1k - £1.5k to spend on an amp, in order to get a good step up in 2 channel quality....ie. Take your time and demo as many amps in that range as possible, till you find the perfect partner, which for example, might be something from Electrocompaniet. :)

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Not sure that kind of budget would be something I could do......until I win the lottery, of course!

I know my cd player deserves more, but I'd imagine something like the Rega Brio-R would be a maximum I would go......but it doesn't have a power button on the remote, so will not work as part of the tv side of things.

I did look at the Marantz PM7004 at one stage, but without any reviews and none locally to hear, I'm not sure. It does have a 'Power amp in' button though.....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Brio-R would be a contender as it performs above its price.

You can often find ex-dem stuff at a good price (I have recently seen an ex-dem MF M3i at little more than a Brio)....it's just that your Pioneer is a good budget amp, and you have to be careful not to do a sideways move, or spend quite a lot of money for a marginal improvement.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks....that what I'm afraid of, as I like the Pioneer as a stereo amp, although a little more HF detail and bass punch would be even better.... :dance:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts