what power amp or intergrated amp for Monitor audio gold 300 floorstanders

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Someone I met on a forum brought a Tucana one around with my pmc's and it didn't fair as well as my signature stuff. It's good with bass and the bottom end, but it was a bit tiresome for me. I listen mostly at very reasonable levels and like to hear everything and the Cyrus stuff was faster and a bit more dynamic in mids, but hardly surprising as in a different price bracket. Also more treble. It doesn't have all out bottom end like the leema and as good with the dynamics of bass, but I always think why do I need to create huge maxed out bass at home anyway. You don't for instance create the bass of a concert at home, so why keep going beyond a level of bass that just becomes annoying and takes over the music. That said pmc's already bassy. I can listen to a female vocal and with the timbre and detail and layering in the music, it blows me away. That's why the op doesn't need 500 watt power amps with those powerful monitor audios.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
too many watts with established companies with any lineage to boast of. I mean how much extra does it cost to take a amp that pumps out 100W and juice it up to output 200W instead. I bet would'nt be as much as the mark up. May be that is why class-d is catching up. Standard amp module chips being printed at mass market scale , bringing down costs. If I were to look for anything beyond 200w, I would go class D and save some money. The Peachtree nova 500 coming around Christmas, will do 500W with zero background noise at 3500 dollars.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

CnoEvil said:
Have you heard a Devialet?

yes impressive with detail. I think the phantom golds - Heard them at the Bristol hi fi show. Played really loud they were distorting with bass, but I think they were a little sharp on the detail front, which I get the impression is very much a French thing. E.g. Focal too! The balance of detail of cyrus and smoothness like you get from pmc, is a really good combo indeed.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
CnoEvil said:
Have you heard a Devialet?

yes impressive with detail. I think the phantom golds - Heard them at the Bristol hi fi show. Played really loud they were distorting with bass, but I think they were a little sharp on the detail front, which I get the impression is very much a French thing. E.g. Focal too! The balance of detail of cyrus and smoothness like you get from pmc, is a really good combo indeed.

I was really thinking of their Amplifiers, driving say, some PMCs.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Since when is K3 at £1250, Caspian £2000 and Blak £2750 budget?

As Roksan sound is marketedly different to your preferred Cyrus would it be more accurate to say in your opinion that the bass is lazy rather than fact.

Not entirely sure Cyrus or Naim would be a good match with MA speakers as the are all brands renowned for detail. This combo could be a little bit of too much of a good thing and get really fatiguating to listen.

Though a good demo would be the best way to find this out.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

It's all opinion, everything is on here. I've just heard lots of people not think roksan is great compared to some brands. I've heard it being quite hard hitting but not exactly nuanced and detailed. Would be different if you own it of course!

Cyrus might not be a match, but on one of my earlier posts please see what I said as I agree with you. It's really up to the original poster. I wouldn't really say if you were spending £5k of naim stuff that it's detailed like Cyrus is. I might not put Cyrus with Bx5 in stereo, but to inject more detail I might. I had the centre channel bx5 and it got a huge kick of detail with my cyrus stuff for the better, and centre channel clarity, when I ran it with an cyrus x power in mono once, instead of via a £1k onkyo home cinema amp I had.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
OK so you haven't heard a Roksan amp and state the bass is lazy.

Look not trying to pick a row but you have told the OP to totally discount a brand you have no experience with.

postup_crni

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi Paulg22,

somebody put the same question here in 2016.

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/stereo-amplifier-recommandation-pair-monitor-audio-gold-300

I listened to MA G300 and suggested Marantz 11S2, and considering there is another Marantz top-integrated now (PM-10), you may find good deals on Marantz PM11S3 (list price also within your budget). Very good match, in my opinion. The source was a matching Marantz CD 11S2.

Lovely speakers.

postup

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts