What next...? System upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I've been through lots of posts on the forus in search of an answer to this, so after giving in I've finally started an account to post my question.

I'm currently running a pair of TDL Saturn/System 10's and a Gale 4070 Sub off a Cambridge A5 amp (running Gale Symphony 400 cables if thats important). I'm VERY happy with the setup, it has enough power and more than enough definition for the quality level of the music I'm running through it (I run my music off an Creative Zen Touch mp3 player usually at around 128kbps). I listen to a full range of music, from orchestral to acoustic guitar to blues to classic rock to electro to dubstep and back to the occasional bit of alternative rock.

As I said, I'm extemely happy with my setup, however I'm hankering to spend money on it to upgrade it. Stupid I know, but thats me. I'm looking at around 150 quid, but could stretch for an excellent bit of kit. I'm thinking bookshelfs at the moment, but I cant find anything that looks good (I like wood finishes, and it kinda has to match the saturns) that also gets a good review.

Any ideas?

Before I get the inevitable responses, to save everyone some time (in the nicest way possible
emotion-2.gif
) :

1) I dont plan to switch from mp3 to cd's, even though I am fully aware of the improved sound quality.
2) I want to spend the money on upgrading my setup, nothing else.

I was thinking about another pair of saturn 10's (I love them), but my room is small and doesnt need surround, so would there be ANY benefit in doing this (quality, loudness etc.)?

Many thanks in advance,

Russ

A

Anonymous

Have you thought about playing your MP3's from a computer?

A

Anonymous

I cant see you getting any audible improvement for £150. It will be a sideways step and wont stop you from itching for another improvement sooner rather than later. Id save a bit first and maybe look for an active set-up later down the line

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I'll second that. With the source you want to use, any upgrade will only highlight the (lack of) quality of the 128kbps mp3s.

If you are happy with the sound you have, I'd stick with it and save your cash.

Of course, if you really are desperate to spend £150, then I would suggest a Remy Martin XO. It will make your hifi sound unbelieveably good, but with the downside of a slight headache the next morning...
emotion-5.gif

Joking aside, I would either save the cash and look to a better source (maybe a mac mini?) or spend the cash on music - which is, after all, what you have the system for!

A

Anonymous

I think if he's willing to play his mp3's from a computer a DAC will improve the sound quality from his 128's immensely...

All for less than £150...ÿ

A

Anonymous

If you like the Cambridge sound (which it sounds like you do) you could look at a 2nd hand Azur 540a V2 or 640a V2 to replace the A5. These sound way better than the old A5... more punch, bass, and a lot crisper... and can be picked up on eBay within your budget.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:
I think if he's willing to play his mp3's from a computer a DAC will improve the sound quality from his 128's immensely...

All for less than £150...

...if he has a computer to play them from!

Also, I would urge the OP to rip in future in at least 192kbps - the difference really is noticable. Cymbals and strings become a lot less "watery" as the compression is more able to cope with the higher frequencies.

I find compression settings a bit like hifi in general - the change from 96k to 192k is night and day, 192k to 320k is noticeable, and 320k to lossless more tricky to notice.

A bit like the difference between going from a £300 hifi to a £2k hifi - the change is far more noticable than going from £2k to £6k, and the difference between £6k and £60k is again less dramatic. To my ears anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts