What matches with KEF LS50?

zikje

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm already pretty sure that I'm going for (2) KEF LS50 speakers. Now the questions is, what other equipment do I need?

- I want good quality sound; mainly listen to classical music, also to jazz, latin, little popular music.

- My music is on a Synology NAS, and this should be the main source. I heard that the audio USB from Synology does not work properly for everyone (though positive reactions on Synology forums). So I believe ethernet would be the main option, as WiFi could be unstable.

- I also want to link my TV and perhaps WDTV Live to it (don't need 5.1, just good quality audio); possibly also my PC (on occasion, not permanently). TV and WD TV Live have optical outs, PC had more options.

- I want control via PC, Android phone, iPad (not streaming from these devices - although that could happen on occasion, but controlling the music via DS Audio for example).
I'm getting a little lost in what equipment I can use, and how I could/should combine things: receivers, amplifiers, allinone systems, streamers.... One thing I read was that LS50 does need a proper amp to perform.
I've looked at

- Cambridge Audio Minx (somewhat lower budget, but seems to have what it takes?)

- Cambridge Audio StreamMagic 6 v2 (higher budget, but still needs an amp?)

- Arcam FMJ A19 (higher budget, how do I get my music there? no ethernet)

- Rega Brio R ("medium" budget, how do I get my music there? no ethernet)

- NAD D 7050 (higher budget)

- NAD D 3020 (somewhat lower budget)

- Bluesound node or powernode
Thanks for you insights.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm running my KEF LS50s with a Naim UnitiQute and NAP 100 power amp. But you don't need the NAP100 (to start with anyways) The Qute is an all-in-one solution, it has a built-in streamer/DAC/Pre and 30W Amp, which would be sufficant for the LS50s. It has digital, optical and even analogue inputs so you can hook up your TV, DVD, PC, what ever you want. And it will stream all your music stored on your NAS (Server) which can be controlled via an Android or iOS app as well as a standard remote. It is also (in my opinion) the best looking piece of hi-fi kit I've seen to date, and will match the LS50s very nicely ;-) (Well okay, the LINN Klimax DS player also look very good but is 12x the price)

If you're after CD playback as well, look at the UnitiLite, with a 50W Amp.

If the price is a bit high, try looking for Demo units, or even second hand.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Dommer said:
I'm running my KEF LS50s with a Naim UnitiQute and NAP 100 power amp. But you don't need the NAP100 ...

Agree, looking for a bookshelf to match my naim 5si and got many ls50 recommandatations on the naim forum from people who own this combo.

Also dont forget to get low capacitance and high inductance cables on naims because the output stage is designed around that. The bulk monster clear jacket cables haves thoses specs, fancy cables usually dont except chord. The best is the naim's nac a5 but cheap bulk cables work good because they are closer to naim nac specs then many.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
As you say you need decent amplification and there are few amplifiers of the required quality that include the facilities and network capabilities that you want.

The Unitiqute is a bit more expensive than the options you mention but would be my choice if possible. Otherwise you will have to split your budget between a streamer and an amp which could leave you short particularly in the amp department.

Otherwise the Nad D7050 is the only other option I can think of that has the flexibility to do what you want. By the time you add streaming capability to something like the Arcam, you are going to be spending at least as much. Not huge power from the Nad but as long as you do not want serious levels you should be fine.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
What matches them? Let's see:

kef_ls50_white_11-640x300.png

Meet-brian-hub-banner-new.png

Yeah, not far off...

bartwuster

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm using my LS50 with Marantz Pearl Lite KI, and getting superb result with it, but I think the model has been discontinued.

If you have any interest you might wanna look at Marantz PM8005 that replaced the Pearl Lite KI.

And for all the reply/comment about you should getting another speaker, just ignore all of them; basically you should listen to actual owner of the speaker instead of all the non-owner who seems to give misleading comment/reply.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts