What is wrong with my cart or is it setup ?

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
My vinyls just dont sound as I expected , I am starting to wonder what is that "vinyl sounds great etc ..." about . I was buying mostly new vinyl from Amazon ,ebay or some charity shops s.h. but it's just pain to find clean record . I believe that vinyl sounds superb on expensive setups with analog recorded music . But on my budget system it doesn't sound right . Cracking ,popping , no depth , some new LP's sound compressed (just waste of money really) and sibilance drive me crazy , had a Norah Jones 200g Come Away With Me It was unlistenable I had to sell it , got another one it's better but still sibilance .

I am positive that setting of my TT is correct , my cart is Rega Elys 2 , I am thinking about upgrade to some cart with better tracking ability , I've already spent much money on records and phono amp so don't know what to do to make it sing .

thank You all

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
The Rega carts were never particularly good, certainly not up to the standard of their decks and arms. Value-wise, under £1k, the Denon range is very tough to beat. The DL-304 is very good indeed (one of their pricier ones at £350ish), with extremely low tracking weight, but needs plenty of gain as it is very low output. It has kept my system ticking over nicely on the rare occasions when my Koetsu is away for a re-tip. The DL-103 in its various forms is something of a star performer.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Something important which I neglected - if you do get a new cart, which I do highly recommend, then also make sure you invest a little in a decent set-up/alignment tool. Setting a tonearm and cartridge up properly can really make a world of difference. Setting up your own arm and cart is a pre-requisite as, in my experience, dealers these days just can't be relied upon to sort that for you.

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Tear Drop said:
Something important which I neglected - if you do get a new cart, which I do highly recommend, then also make sure you invest a little in a decent set-up/alignment tool. Setting a tonearm and cartridge up properly can really make a world of difference. Setting up your own arm and cart is a pre-requisite as, in my experience, dealers these days just can't be relied upon to sort that for you.

thanx for response ,

my budget will be around £200 ,I was thinking Goldring , I have no experiences with TT's , I set up my with you tube video and have a jewellery digital scale , I'll have to give it to my dealer to set it up for me , but what if that's not weak point , but something else ?

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you just don't like the vinyl sound? What music you,listening too? I find electronic /dance sounds a lot cleaner on CD, vinyl seems to sound better with instruments and older warmer recordings.

Go demo,some turntables against other sources before ploughing more money into the format, most gave up vinly for a reason 20years, don't get caught up in the hype nostalgia too much.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hey, I picked up on you saying that the records are sibilant. If you're geting sibilance on all the records that you play, it's definitely the set up thats at fault rather than the cart or records themselves. Set up was a massively daunting thing for me when I got started, and I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I'm still a relative newbie and I still hate when I have to adjust anything in my set up! My advice would be to take it to a dealer and get them to set it up correctly for you/ show you how to do it next time.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you just don't like the vinyl sound? What music you,listening too? I find electronic /dance sounds a lot cleaner on CD, vinyl seems to sound better with instruments and older warmer recordings.

Go demo some turntables against other sources before ploughing more money into the format, most gave up vinyl for a reason 20years ago, don't get caught up in the hype/nostalgia too much.

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
Maybe you just don't like the vinyl sound? What music you,listening too? I find electronic /dance sounds a lot cleaner on CD, vinyl seems to sound better with instruments and older warmer recordings. Go demo,some turntables against other sources before ploughing more money into the format, most gave up vinly for a reason 20years, don't get caught up in the hype nostalgia too much.

I like sound of the vinyl , but it's just not sounding right at the moment , and new vinyl reissues sounds rubbish well most of them , and to find a good pressing second hand must be a gool luck , :cry:

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
bretty said:
Hey, I picked up on you saying that the records are sibilant. If you're geting sibilance on all the records that you play, it's definitely the set up thats at fault rather than the cart or records themselves. Set up was a massively daunting thing for me when I got started, and I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I'm still a relative newbie and I still hate when I have to adjust anything in my set up! My advice would be to take it to a dealer and get them to set it up correctly for you/ show you how to do it next time.

I'm experiencing sibilance but only on some records Norah Jones , Carpenters .. when the needle is close to centre of record . I'll have to take it to dealer to set it up for me when I buy new cart .

Or maybe new RP3 with 2m blue ....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts