What is the one album......

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Has to be 'Desire' by Bob Dylan, especially for the track 'Isis' but more recently it has to be anything & everything by Porcupine Tree, Blackfied & Steven Wilson - I'm addicted

T

the record spot

Very hard to say; probably one from either ELO's Out of the Blue or Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds which I bought back in 1977. Two very well played albums...! If not those, then I guess probably one of the Genesis albums I was into back in the 80s and 90s - Wind and Wuthering maybe.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I guess it would have to be Free - Live. One of the underrated and forgotten live bands, but sheer natural brilliance, be it Paul Roger's growling vocal or Paul Kossoff's guitar work. Better than their studio albums, this album encapsulates the mood of what has to be the best live festival on the UK shores of all time, Isle of Wight 1970

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I guess it would have to be Free - Live. One of the underrated and forgotten live bands, but sheer natural brilliance, be it Paul Roger's growling vocal or Paul Kossoff's guitar work. Better than their studio albums, this album encapsulates the mood of what has to be the best live festival on the UK shores of all time, Isle of Wight 1970

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
images

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Over the past 20 years, it could be Nirvana's Nevermind.

Why? One of the guys in the store was playing it to death, and at the time, I really wasn't keen on it as it just sounded like noise to me, and at the time I wasn't really into anything noisy. Then one day it just hit me. All of a sudden, I realised it was a fantastic album.

You know I really used to like you...

PWEI obviously, This is The Day, This is The Hour, This is This...

I didn't listen to anything else at all until Cure For Sanity came out, although that probably gets played more now.

It's not the album I have the most versions of though, that would probably be War Of The Worlds (might come close to the most number of listens as well, thinking about it).

A

Anonymous

Difficult to say... didn't really count, but will be one of these:

- Cuby + Blizzards - Desolation (mono LP 1966... my first and still GREAT music, pity that it gives an

idea about my age... ;) )

- Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

- Donald Fagan - The Nightfly

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:

I didn't listen to anything else at all until Cure For Sanity came out, although that probably gets played more now.

I never thought anybody else would as big a fan of PWEI as me. I listened to Cure for Sanity every day, walking to and from walk, for 15 months!

How do you think the recent releases compare soundwise to the original CD's? The extra tracks don't interest me as I had most of them.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Xanderzdad said:
The_Lhc said:

I never thought anybody else would as big a fan of PWEI as me. I listened to Cure for Sanity every day, walking to and from walk, for 15 months!

How do you think the recent releases compare soundwise to the original CD's? The extra tracks don't interest me as I had most of them.

I never actually had any of the albums on cd, everything was on cassette or vinyl, so it's difficult to judge, bearing that in mind I don't think they sound massively different though, I'm not particularly hearing anything I didn't before. I'm certain the gaps between the tracks on Box Frenzy are longer than they used to be though, which jolts a little, I expect the next track to kick on one beat and it comes in two beats later. Only a small thing but it's mildly irritating.

I've got most of the extra tracks but scattered around on cassette singles and 12"s so it's nice to have everything in one place and be able rip them finally. I enjoyed reading Adam's recollections as much as anything. Seems very wrong that he's driving a van for a living now though, nothing wrong with driving a van but it would be nice if he'd made enough from PWEI not to have to worry.

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
When I was growing up ELO's Out of the Blue & Discovery Album's were played to death along with War of the World's, though I couldnt listen to it until I was in my teens as it used to scare the hell out of me and my younger sister!

These days I would have to say Metallica - Master of Puppets & Black Album, Green Day - Dookie, Alter Bridge - All Three Albums and Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve. Almost forgot a complete curveball - Chicane - Far from the Madenning Crowd's.

So far though Alter Bridge are the only band I have ever listened to who I can take their whole catalogue, stick it on shuffle and listen to the whole lot without skipping a track.

I really couldnt pick one out of those as I go through phases but I always find myself gravitating towards these above all others.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
for me its an lp which I now have on cd by a band called Stray , which I still listen to.The album is called Suicide I think I 1st heard it on my brothers 8 track in 1971/1972 still sounds good now title track is a must listen if you like your prog rock beware if you start listening you will go through there back catolog great band didnt realy make it though I think they may still be going

A

Anonymous

The only two albums I can listen to from start to finish are Godsmack's 'The other side' and Maria Mena's 'Apparently unaffected'. If I had to choose one it would be Godsmack, but only just.

A

Anonymous

Reccuring Dream- Crowded house....One of the most underated bands in the world :clap:

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
toyota man said:
for me its an lp which I now have on cd by a band called Stray , which I still listen to.The album is called Suicide I think I 1st heard it on my brothers 8 track in 1971/1972 still sounds good now title track is a must listen if you like your prog rock beware if you start listening you will go through there back catolog great band didnt realy make it though I think they may still be going

I saw Stray in 1972, support band for The Groundhogs at Manchester Free Trade Hall.

Unfortunately I have no recollection these days of how good or bad they were.
smiley-laughing.gif

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
toyota man said:
for me its an lp which I now have on cd by a band called Stray
Del's still gigging regularly & well worth seeing.

http://www.stray-the-band.co.uk/gigs.htm

DIB said:
I saw Stray in 1972, support band for The Groundhogs at Manchester Free Trade Hall.
I saw them in '73 at Alexandra Palace with the Groundhogs & Black Sabbath.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
toyota man said:

smiley-laughing.gif

Must have been good stuff you were on. :shame:

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
DIB said:
toyota man said:

smiley-laughing.gif

Must have been good stuff you were on. :shame:

I was only a wee lad..

unison

Oct 3, 2008
Visit site
tapestry by Carole king or walk across the roof tops by the blue Nile probably because they were 2 LPs I had when I first got Cyrus 1 amp, a dual deck and mission speakers in 1988

camcroft

An album that I have just put on is Neil Diamond`s Hot August Night recorded live in 1972.It is a very testing album for your system as there are all kinds of instruments going on.I havent heard it for years but it sounds as good as it ever did. A brilliant album from it`s day and its been a good test for my newly acquired system

paulyboy233

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
The Joshua Tree (i know, a bit of an eighties cliche,but still a fantastic collection of songs that i never tire of hearing), or 'Ten' by Pearl Jam, most definitely in the top ten albums ever made, imho...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts