What is the most I should spend on an amp for Quad Lites?

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Sorry - posed in Accessories forum originally by mistake.
emotion-10.gif

Hi guys. I understand there is a rule of thirds when buying hifi, but what is the split with home cinema?

I have the Quad Lites (bought for half price) but want to know if I should be pairing them with amp capable of driving a £1000 set of speakers or a £500 set of speakers? As the speakers are now a couple of years old, should I be pairing them with a less expensive amp? (don't want the amp out doiing the speakers or vice versa). Do I spend £300, £500 or £1000 on an amp? I know ultimately my budget comes into it, but don't want to compromise if I can help it! I don't know!!!
emotion-42.gif

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Ive got the Quad-lites as well, and their running off Onkyo 606 which i got for £360 when it first come out. Since then there have been so many deals around and price reductions, means i could improve sound slighty with a bigger budget ie something like the Onkyo875 or Yamaha ax863se or even a Onkyo 905. In other words most current amps will be fine, so budget and functions will play apart in your decision, also whether you plan upgrading in the future or want a specific amount of hdmi in's and out's and preouts etc. Unless you need anything in specfic i would now look at the Yamaha ax863se Onkyo 875, 876 if you can find a good deal. There is no set rule they can run off £200 and £2000 amp just be sensible and go for a current midrange price, sit back and enjoy.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
The Quad L-ites obtained excellent reviews, mentioning value for money, at their original price point - ie in excess of £1000. ÿI was fortunate - like many others - in being able to buy a set at half-price in the spring sell-off. ÿMy next stroke of luck was to obtain a Yamaha RX-V3800 at the end of the summer for just over £700 - the rrp had been more like £1400, I believe. ÿInspired by reading about what a few other creative souls had done, I decided to make a further investment to create a 7.1 set-up - namely 12L2s to use as the front pair. ÿI am absolutely thrilled by the end result, which has all the virtues expressed in the recent reviews of the 1900 and 3900 - a combination of power, richness and delicacy of touch when required. ÿDialogue is crystal clear and so well-integrated that, although I am tempted by an L2 centre, it isn't really necessary. ÿBTW, my home cinema room is approximately 5m x 4m and is filled with sound - there is no shortage of power when needed. ÿIf you can afford it, do consider one of the new Yamaha amps now that the last of the 3800s seem to have gone. ÿI see that the 1900 is now less then £750 in some places. ÿIt doesn't have the network capabilities of its big brother, but it would sound awesome with your Quads.

A

Anonymous

I have always found with Amps to buy the best built one that you can afford. The clarity, grip, effotlessness increases with the bigger the amp.
Providing it has all the essential facilities to it I am happy to consider 'greatly discounted' items as well as the newest models.

Its my ears that make the final decisions as when everything is bought and plugged in at home I want to get the maximuim pleasure out of my system.

Good hunting, I hope you find just the one for you that makes your Quads sing.

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Thanks guys for your input - much obliged. I shall purchase the most expensive amp I can afford. Either the Yamaha 863 or a good deal on the Onkyo 876 I think. Shall arrange for a demo with both and make up my mind. Can't wait to get them hooked up and filling my room with lovely HD sound! Thanks again everyone.
emotion-21.gif

Gary233932

Jun 15, 2007
Visit site
Have a look at the Onkyo TXNR906 in Silver £899 at Richer Sounds VIP Price this was the few weeks ago but thay may still be doing it, I upgraded my front speakers to the L2 range and the improvement was great just a thought for the future (now a 7.1 config)Hope this Halps Gary

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts