What is the ideal Presence speaker placement for my room?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

My room is 3.5m height, 6m length, 3-3.5m width. My viewing distance is 3m from front wall (length ways with 3m behind me)

Im using 684 fronts, htm62 centre, 685 surround L&R and Yamaha V671. I have another set of 685's to use for presence/front height speakers.

What height should I have them?

(Not sure if it was from whathifi magazine that the higher they are, the better?)

How much degree in tilt is best (vertical tilt)?

If a lot tilt is necessary, any wall mount brackets recommended?

Thanks

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
When placing speakers the ideal is to have the fronts at ear level (All tweeters, so fronts and center at ear level) and it is recommened to have the rears 2ft above your head behind you. The angle for the rears should be 90 - 110 degrees.

Have a look at this....remember nothing is set in stone as every room is different and you may need to compromise. But as a start this will do nicely.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html

or

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

A

Anonymous

duaplex,

Thanks, I have looked but still doesn't tell me anything about the height or tilt of the presence speakers.

Yamaha recommend about 1m above front L,R speakers, but i think i read somewhere in what hifi magazine that the higher the better?

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Williamyin said:
duaplex,

Thanks, I have looked but still doesn't tell me anything about the height or tilt of the presence speakers.

Yamaha recommend about 1m above front L,R speakers, but i think i read somewhere in what hifi magazine that the higher the better?

In my experience the higher you place them the more 'spacious' this particular effect will be, in theory. I know that Yamaha have one recommendation for their 'presence' channels, while Audyssey ('DSX Height'), Dolby ('Dolby Pro Logix IIz') and DTS ('DTS Neo:X') have theirs respectively. As always the best thing is to experiment before desciding the final mounting position. However, this can be tricky to do with height speakers of course. If you place them very high up, close to the roof, I'd recommend a slight angle downward towards the listeningposition. Last time I used Yamaha's 'presence' feature was back in the 90's and then I had them about 2.2 meters up from the floor, placed at the very top of two bookshelfs on either side of the tv. It worked wonders and really "opened up" the soundstage during appropriate scenes in movies.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

RickyDeg,

Thanks, was helpful. Will give it a shot when my 684's arrive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts