What is the best amp for the KEF R500?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone experiences with amps for the KEF r500? I'm from "the old school" and like a warmer darker sound. Many amps seems on the bright side. I've heard the Exposure 3010S2, but it seems too agressive for me, especially the highs.

Which amp? Marantz pm 8005, Denon 1520, Arcam a19, Unison Primo?

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
The Kef R500 is already on the warmer side of neutral so pairing that with an amp on that same side may end up being too dark.

Having said that, from your shortlist, I would go with the Unison. At least the sound is somewhat adjustable by changing tubes.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
"The best"? I've used these with a Chord CPM2650, on which they sounded phenomenal, but I haven't ventured any further than that yet - it'll be interesting to try them with the CPA2500/SPM1050 pre/power combo, or even the Classe CP800/CA2300 pre/power. They sound great on the end of the Naim SuperNait 2, Sugden A21SE, Primare I32, and Devialet 120 or 200. These are the sort of amps that people can aim for if they wish to.

From your list, I haven't heard the Unison, but both the Marantz and Arcam work well. I would recommend you have a look at the Primare I22 and Rotel RA1570 if budget stretches that far, but these two might not be quite what you're looking for based on the description you're after (although kept warm they're certainly not aggressive), but they are very tight and precise amplifiers, and work well to control speakers that can produce a decent amount of bass.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I auditioned the R500s with the Marantz 8500 and thought it was excellent, indeed I bought it, although I went for the R700s in the end. I would describe it as neutral. Together they are very musical.

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site

mgkwackerd

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I have run mine with Cyrus preXP & 2x X powers and DAC XP+ & 2x Mono X200's, both combo's were very slightly on the warm side.

However, Now I run them with Primare pre 32 & 2x A34.2's, and I would say they are bang on neutral, but I did swap over speaker cables from solid silver to copper, which did just take out a slight zing to the top end that I found unacceptable, and am now completely happy with them.

They are extremely clean and very detailed, much different to the Cyrus, and expose poor sources far more than the Cyrus ever did.

I heard the primare I32 on them, I found it extremely clean, again, just lacking that little bass extension that the 2 power amps give, and why I went for pre/power mono'd combo.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
The kef's work very well with leema kit, i would recommend a listen for sure, other amps would be naim xs , primare, higher end arcam amps and the rega elicit.

don't scrimp on ampification!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts