What interconnect Pls ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well here I am dragged into the great hifi debate. Have just been listening to the music for 10yrs...however I bought an X-AS100 power amp recently so here I am. I have all Musical Fidelity components. XRay Cd X-a100R integrated (which is now used as a preamp with the X-as100 power) Have always loved the system and most importantly the sound. I do use a Rel sub to round off the bass nicely. The Power amp has brought benefits but is getting lost when the low end is busy? It didnt do this when I was just using the MF integrated ? Is the weak link a dodgy cable connect between pre and power?

The question is...what cable should I use as an upgrade to maybe get a little more detail from the system ? In particular the interconnects (phono) and maybe if I am flush new speaker cable. Dont regard myself as a hifi fanatic but do notice the difference tonally with cables. Am using my old QED ANNIVERSARY silver speaker cable and QED Reference silver spiral phono which although bought with the system over 10 yrs ago have served me well. The interconnect they gave me to hook up my newly acquired power amp (ATLAS BASIC) seems to be a weak link in what was otherwise a smooth detailed system ?

Can anyone give me any advice (especially those with MF experience) a good but not silly priced recommendation ? I need a good interconnect between pre and power and maybe buy the same for cd to amp. This is probably the last upgrade I will make for a long while before I get back to just listening to the music. Oh and I partner the sysem with some old B&W CDM7 floorstanders.

Thx for listening. Just seen some CHORD Cobra 2 + 3 for sale on ebay. Will these do the job? Also Atlas voyager?

Advice in simple terms is much appreciated ! Mark

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I have used Linn Blacks with success (can be got off ebay for around £10 to £14). Other makes that I favour are Atlas (Equator, Voyagor, Navigator and Titan are all good) and Telurium Q.

IMO. Stay clear of silver plated copper as it can add too much brightness, which can initially be mistaken for detail.

A

Anonymous

Mmm ...thx for the advice. Looked on ebay for the Linn Black. They have 40ft of speaker cable for £20 (Linn Black). Would this be an improvement on the QED I already use ? Can get a half metre of Atlas Voyager interconnect for £59 at the moment cos its reduced. The Navigator is a similar price on a metre. This would be really pushing the boat out cost wise. Is it worth the punt ?

Mark :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Linn Black is an interconnect only. What you saw was Linn's own speaker cable which is a staightforward copper cable, which imo is a bit better than the QED.....probably worth a punt at £20.

IMO. Go for the Atlas Voyager if you like a livelier presentation, and the Navigator if you like a more analogue one (that is if you believe that I/Cs can sound different).

It is impossible for me to tell you whether you will find it worth the money.......get it and see. If it doesn't work out, put it back on ebay.

A

Anonymous

Well thx for the advice. Have let the spkr cable thing go for now and will take a chance on the Atlas interconnect. Have given a wknd to this and need to be enjoying the music and not encouraging my o.c.d. (smiles).

Bearing in mind I used to listen to a leak, Linn,Rogers set up when young.... then my recent purchase (haha) the Musical Fidelity X series. Would you say that going for the Navigator to trick up amp and cd would be over egging the pudding ? Or.... listening to what the manufacturer says go for the Voyager which is more lively ? I would imagine its not going to be so lively I cant live with it because it grates on the ears ? Maybe my old system preference needs a kick up the arse !!

Anyway as I said both cables are the same price really....and as life is all about different opinions.....would respect yours ?

Then I will make me choice and put this to bed......for another 10yrs.

Regards Mark.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Mark, I can only tell you what I would do, which is go for the Navigator, as I like my music as analogue as possible. If you want to get a livlier presentation then the Voyager may be better.

IMO. Atlas cables are always detailed, balanced and neutral, so the differences will be subtle.

A

Anonymous

Thx very much. I will go for a pair of them...thats it ! They are a third of the price and should be an improvement on my QED cable which is what I am looking for. It is all apple macs and ipods these days with docking stations...I will happily go the other way to a land that time forgot. Well, where music is concerned and sound anyway. I do live in the mountains of N.Wales and the pace is eeeeeezy.

Respectfully. Mark

A

Anonymous

Thx for the advice. Contrary to the reviews have purchased the Nautilus cable. Been running in for two days. Lovely smooth and detailed. The cable I was offered (Atlas basic) wasnt very natural and made the midrange jump out at you. Music was very confusing.

Cat thats got the cream ? Am very happy with my purchase. Nautilus->Musical Fidelity...a very nice match indeed.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
garn63 said:
Thx for the advice. Contrary to the reviews have purchased the Nautilus cable. Been running in for two days. Lovely smooth and detailed. The cable I was offered (Atlas basic) wasnt very natural and made the midrange jump out at you. Music was very confusing.

Cat thats got the cream ? Am very happy with my purchase. Nautilus->Musical Fidelity...a very nice match indeed.

I'm glad you got sorted.....and it shows how important it is to hear for yourself. :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts