What hifi team (Clare,Simon,Andrew) and members

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi my room size is 20 x12 ft and wondering what type of speakers would be best suited for this size of room, also simon has sugguested to me before MA BR2s on Soundstyles Z2 or MS 914is so if you had a room this size which speakers would you use. I have read the April edition and it says the MA BR2 has a deeper,rounder bass tone than we've heard anywhere else in this test too, does that inclued the MS 914is. The other things is the MA BR2s with stands cost £260 and the MS 914is cost £230 to £250 (most importantly which one delivers the best detail and stereo image).The amp is a C352 cd is a 640C V2.Thanks in advance for your feedback and advice in the past. I plan to get the speakers next week.

A

Anonymous

I've been planning on getting some decent hifi kit for a while, and this would be my first step into the world of proper hifi (athough from the budget end of the spectrum).

I plan to start with some decent speakers and an amp and after reading the excellent April edition of What hifi I also thought the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 speakers looked very good for the money. As someone who loves drum and bass I was reasured by the reference to High Contrast's If We Ever in the review (big tune). I was planning to couple the speakers with the Cambridge Audio Azur 340A SE as recommended in the perfect partners segment (and I have heard very good things about Cambridge Audio from a number of friends). The Maranitz PM6002 Amp also caught my eye however as it looks very impressive although slightly more expensive.

I was hoping for some advice as to which Amp would be best suited with the BR2s?

I thought the April edition of the magazine was tremendous, especially for someone (like me) who is still learning the ins and outs of things!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Glad you enjoyed the issue - we aim to please!

Both amps would be absolutely fine driving the Monitor Audios. Obviously the Marantz will give you more - and can be paired with even better speakers over time - but the entry-level Cambridge Audio is a cracker, and has handy features like the easy iPod connectivity. And don't forget to budget for cables...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice Clare. I was planning on investing in speaker stands and cables at the same time, even a newbie like me knows that!

I am very tempted by the Cambridge Audio amp to be honest but I wondered if you could expand on what you meant when you say the Marantz will give me more. Do you mean in terms of the sound quality when paired with the BRs speakers or in terms of extra functionality? If i got the Cambridge Audio amp would I then be limiting myself to a cambridge audio cd player later, as the Marantz cd and amp combo looks mighty. As I said I mainly like drum and bass and breaks so a system which is nice and crisp with punchy deep bass is what im looking for.

Keep up the good work with the magazine!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Marantz will offer a better all-round sound than the Cambridge - now there are deals around that put the Marantz at almost the same money, i'd opt for the Marantz to give you that little extra performance boost.

A

Anonymous

I will have a hunt around for a good deal on the Marantz PM6002, although I do note in the review the comment that the deepest bass tones lack clarity and my music is all about the bass. I think however that it is all relative and that this comment is probably in comparison to some of the very high quality (and costly) amps reviewed in the magazine, and that it will be lightyears ahead of the current set up I have (if I can even call it that!).

Also as you said previously the Marantz offers more in terms of being future proof if I decide to upgrade from the BR2 speakers (for instance to the B&W 685's), although Id like to initially get something that will stay with me for a good while.

Thanks again for your advice!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Gtncj"](most importantly which one delivers the best detail and stereo image).[/quote]

My advise would be Epos M5 (old model) for £250 new. Its a much more refined, 'grown-up' speaker than the ones mentioned. Superb detail and punchy with a nice treble. Then buy some s/h Atacamas or whatever for a tenner on ebay.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="Gtncj"](most importantly which one delivers the best detail and stereo image).[/quote]

My advise would be Epos M5 (old model) for £250 new. Its a much more refined, 'grown-up' speaker than the ones mentioned. Superb detail and punchy with a nice treble. Then buy some s/h Atacamas or whatever for a tenner on ebay.
[/quote]

I'd second that recommendation, paired off with the Marantz amp, with the caveat that I'm not at all sure the speakers will suit drum and bass. Then again, they'll still sound better than the other options mentioned above. And the Marantz will certainly do a better all round job than the Cambridge. Get a demo and see if you like it.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]The Marantz will offer a better all-round sound than the Cambridge [/quote]

What Hi fi May 2008 issue: Marantz cd5001 quote " now add these" Cambridge audio Azur 340Ase.

A

Anonymous

I'd recommend the demo too, although it's sometimes hard to tell within the first few minutes so take your time. I demo'd the PM6002, CD6002 and the B&W 685's. Whilst good I personally found the pairing with EPOS M16's smoother and better vocally. I'm far from an expert and only recently considered upgrading my 15yr old basic system, however it convinced me to order the Marantz pair and the Epos M16's there and then. I pick the lot up tomorrow for under £800 as Superfi are offering the PM6002 and CD6002 for £200 each and the M16's for £400 (half price), therefore I got the whole system for the rrp of the speakers alone, they are running out of the M16's quick though. I just hope it sounds as good at home.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="karlk"]

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]The Marantz will offer a better all-round sound than the Cambridge [/quote]

What Hi fi May 2008 issue: Marantz cd5001 quote " now add these" Cambridge audio Azur 340Ase.
[/quote] Yes, it's a great match, too - as I said above. Our Best Buys section in the same issue also suggests the Marantz combo with the Monitor Audios: both are great buys that deserve to be heard!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts