What HiFi Forum Review

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Our Verdict – 1 Star *

What a shame that a well respected magazine uses shoddy forum software.

For:
Not a lot

Against:
Doesn’t work in all browsers

Hit and miss copy & paste facility

Unintuitive GUI

Very difficult to include images in posts

HTML doesn’t work in new posts

New post toolbar only appears if you save and then edit the post

No search facility

Quote facility is very messy

Reviewed on 24th September 2015

It’s been a while since we’ve seen forum software that could really be a convincing alternative to Invision Power Board..

Sad to say, but the What HiFi forum software doesn’t change that.

Having delivered an excellent magazine, followed by a website in recent years, WhatHiFi has now thrown its hat into the ring for the forum on a website category. But they have really taken their eye off the ball with this one.

We have become used to the eye for detail that What HiFi possess in regard to critically analysing the offerings of other companies. With their forum software, however, it seems they turned a blind eye to their own.

The result is a forum with first class content, delivered in a third class carriage, some might even say, on the cattle truck.

Verdict:

What HiFi have long been the Manchester United of review sites, but this forum software is definitely the Gary Birtles of the team.

Hopefully the staff at What HiFi will take note of the growing number of user complaints on the forum, sell Gary back to Nottingham Forest and replace it with a forum akin to Eric Cantona.

The Competition:

Invision Power Board - Our Rating – 5 Star *****

vBulletin - Our Rating – 5 Star *****

XenForo - Our Rating – 5 Star *****

jjbomber

MrTeroo said:
What HiFi have long been the Manchester United of review sites, but this forum software is definitely the Gary Birtles of the team.

Hopefully the staff at What HiFi will take note of the growing number of user complaints on the forum, sell Gary back to Nottingham Forest and replace it with a forum akin to Eric Cantona.

Man Ure fans, always moaning. In true Ferguson fashion, I'm suprised he hasn't asked for 5 extra pages to be added on the end.

D

Deleted member 2457

MrTeroo said:
Idiots, always jumping to conclusions and getting it wrong, in true kn0bh3ad fashion :)
please don't insult forum members it's against house rules!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gel said:
MrTeroo said:
Idiots, always jumping to conclusions and getting it wrong, in true kn0bh3ad fashion :)

please don't insult forum members it's against house rules!

*biggrin*

I thought it was pretty funny, gel.

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Case in point: I just spent 15 minutes composing a new topic. Some plain text and links to some images of my own, hosted on 500px and it triggered the spam blocker!!!

Gave me the option of reporting it to Mollom, so I did.

Mollom forum, Gollum more like. Absolute rubbish.

Can someone from WhatHifi please tell me why a plain text and linked image post is blocked?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You need to be added on the trusted posters list by the mods.

BTW you are late to the party with complaining about the site. We did that last year.

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I did look in Contact Us but they are just editorial/advertising addresses.

I will contact John Duncan, thanks Vladimir

Mods: You have now been added to the trusted group.

D

Deleted member 2457

MrTeroo said:
Thanks. I did look in Contact Us but they are just editorial/advertising addresses.

I will contact John Duncan, thanks Vladimir

Mods: You have now been added to the trusted group.
Special behaviour now then.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts