What Hifi best cartridges 2023

Well they have, in a roundabout way, because Goldring’s E3 is an Audio Technica. I think it’s based on the earlier AT95 series, but I’m not sure.

In fact I think of their MM models only the Goldring 10xx series is their own design. The costlier 2000 series are Nagaoka designs, I believe.

Reactions: Wylor

Wylor

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
Well they have, in a roundabout way, because Goldring’s E3 is an Audio Technica. I think it’s based on the earlier AT95 series, but I’m not sure.

In fact I think of their MM models only the Goldring 10xx series is their own design. The costlier 2000 series are Nagaoka designs, I believe.
Hi nopiano……. thanks for your input. Yes, I understand that about the Goldring E3, but for me it doesn’t explain why they have left out a manufacturer that presents a range of very good sounding, value for money cartridges.
I note that you are using an AT-VM95ML………….I would have thought that that was well worthy of a mention?

Hi nopiano……. thanks for your input. Yes, I understand that about the Goldring E3, but for me it doesn’t explain why they have left out a manufacturer that presents a range of very good sounding, value for money cartridges.
I note that you are using an AT-VM95ML………….I would have thought that that was well worthy of a mention?
I would too, but it’s a very arbitrary list as I’ve realised over the years. I tends to focus on new models, and the range mine is from must be around fours years old now. That’s nothing these days, but they are no longer ‘headline news’.

WHF seem to revisit certain favourites, and test new models, which then are potential winners. There isn’t even a category in the Awards for cartridges. I thought that was what you’d referred to, until I found the article from a few days ago.

I’d certainly choose mine over a budget Nagaoka, especially as they’re so costly now. And I love the Grado range too, but only the headphones seem to attract attention these days. Mine definitely sounds much better than its modest asking price, and I got mine in a flash sale for not much more than £120!

Last edited:

Wylor

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
I would too, but it’s a very arbitrary list As I’ve realised over the years. I tends to focus on new models, and the range mine is from must be around fours years old now. That’s nothing these days, but they are no longer ‘headline news’.

WHF seem to revisit certain favourites, and test new models, which then are potential winners. There isn’t even a category in the Awards for cartridges. I thought that was what you’d referred to, until I found the article from a few days ago.

I’d certainly choose mine over a budget Nagaoka, especially as they’re so costly now. And I love the Grado range too, but only the headphones seem to attract attention these days. Mine definitely sounds much better than its modest asking price, and I got mine in a flash sale for not much more than £120!
Yes, that listing of ‘best cartridges 2023’ is very arbitrary as you have said. Some featured are quite old now. I just do not understand the listing of the featured cartridges. The AT-VM95 series in general is good both in terms of sonics and affordability. The AT-VM95ML is particularly outstanding and doesn’t receive a mention. And what about the AT-VM540ML?

In my innocence, I always thought that such reviews and listings were there to help people make choices. Omitting some of what are considered to be some of the best out there presents a strange playing field full of holes. Don’t know what’s going on here but it does make one question the validity and ‘purpose’ of such spurious’best of’ listings/reviews.

Last edited:
Yes, that listing of ‘best cartridges 2023’ is very arbitrary as you have said. Some featured are quite old now. I just do not understand the listing of the featured cartridges. The AT-VM95 series in general is good both in terms of sonics and affordability. The AT-VM95ML is particularly outstanding and doesn’t receive a mention. And what about the AT-VM540ML?

In my innocence, I always thought that such reviews and listings were there to help people make choices. Omitting some of what are considered to be some of the best out there presents a strange playing field full of holes. Don’t know what’s going on here but it does make one question the validity and ‘purpose’ of such spurious’best of’ listings/reviews.
It’s click bait essentially, but if it encourages further research then that’s all well and good. As you’re doing!!

Wylor

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
It’s click bait essentially, but if it encourages further research then that’s all well and good. As you’re doing!!
Actually, it didn't encourage further research at all! I didn’t even read the article …….all I could see is what I thought to be a rather fishy omission. I felt there was an agenda beyond presenting to the public an honest listing of what are regarded as the ‘best’.
“Baiting” is offensive…….but in this case I wasn’t so much offended but deeply curious regarding the factors that ‘controlled’ the inclusions in this listing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts