What HiFi Awards

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
BigH said:
The Sennheiser Momentum headphones are over ear not on ears, the on ear ones are about £100 cheaper.

Yup. They don't have an over-ear category though. Will probably confuse some people.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
JoelSim said:
BigH said:
The Sennheiser Momentum headphones are over ear not on ears, the on ear ones are about £100 cheaper.

Yup. They don't have an over-ear category though. Will probably confuse some people.

Well they have an at home category. I would have thought the Sennheiser Momentum On Ear would have been in the on ear category and the Momentum over ears in the at home category, some say the on ear ones are better than the other ears and they are much cheaper.

John Duncan

BigH said:
Well they have an at home category. I would have thought the Sennheiser Momentum On Ear would have been in the on ear category and the Momentum over ears in the at home category, some say the on ear ones are better than the other ears and they are much cheaper.

scanners4.jpg

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:

ap100319112486-d74473bd796af6eb1ba813887e5b8831a25a01ff-s6-c30.jpg

Three: a left ear, a right ear, and a wild frontier

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
For me, this whole topic throws an important question : who is believing in such rankings !

A rating on the very serious Hifi-forum.de shows that 95% of the users declared that they didn't trust magazines for their ranking or the impartiality of their tests. The whole lot of the posters in the forum although, rarely could see a reality between the magazines tests and the real performance. Another serious critic coming from serious testers is that magazines NEVER make blindtests, built up serious test methodologies nor take mesures on their own. In some extreme cases, they use false methodologies for backing some voodoo theories (Stereoplay was particulary badly concerned about that). In the Whathifi ranking for example, I totally miss a test methodology, and no serious mesures seemed to have been made.

I although put the finger of another problematic aspect of a tests and rankings : The perception of the tester himself and his tastes are never explained and it's a key element for knowing what a product is in the eyes of a reviewer.

Fact is, such classments never replace a good personal experience in hifi. Go to your local hifi stores or to hifi-friends in your near, test the stuff out, learn, and you will be able to make your own conclusions and putting a finger on your own likes.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
95% of the users declared that they didn't trust magazines for their ranking

And therein lies the fallacy of your post. You and those other forum users (and me) are not normal people. Normal people go online or (maybe) into Richer Sounds, want to buy something 'good' and get the thing with 5 stars.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've not got a problem with any individual award.

But it's all pretty predictable.

KEF LS50 winning the Reader award was odds on. How many who voted actually own them.

Its also such such a commercial excercise. I've had emails from Superfi and Sevenoaks referencing the awards, I'm not ever so comfortable seeing a BUY link next to the winning items either.

I dont think even mr Spock would regard the AKG K550 as on ear headphones.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I can't find the award for best HDMI cable...

Well done WHF. Good for you. :clap:

Maybe they've started to realise that many people won't fall for that one anymore and by stating that digital cables can make a difference is putting off some of the poential readers?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
lesmallett said:
Anyone wake up this morning to an email from Richer Sounds telling you a lot of the What HiFi Awards winners? Is this normal before anything officially released from What HiFI themselves?

Officially the embargo ended one minute past midnight, so Richer were perfectly entitled to release their email then. Our iPad edition also went live at exactly the same time. The website went live at 9am as we had to do an enormous amount of work overnight to get everything ready without giving the game away beforehand. As for a regular 9-5 working day - I wish! We've been working early/late every day this week to get everything sorted. I now need one of these :beer:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
OOI Andy, if you're able to say, how long in advance are the retailers told and how is it decided which retailers are told? (I had emails from Richers, Sevenoaks and Superfi, all well before I got the WHF email late today.)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
I don't think so. This looks like a recent review; the cable lacked dynamics, had an anaemic colour palette and an insecure grasp of motion.

Authored on: 2012-03-27 11:50:44 +0100

Ok. So we're thinking maybe WHF has had an epiphany in 2013? If only it was possible to search reviews by date.... what EDITED designed this EDITED site software, eh?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
OOI Andy, if you're able to say, how long in advance are the retailers told and how is it decided which retailers are told? (I had emails from Richers, Sevenoaks and Superfi, all well before I got the WHF email late today.)

Presumably they were all at the awards ceremony.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
BigH said:

We decided to simplify the naming convention in the Headphone category (one of the biggest with 13 Awards) by referring to them as in-ears, best portable on-ears (including 'over-ears') and best home on/over-ears (which are either too large to wear out and about, or in the case of the Grados sound fabulous but leak sound like crazy). Our view is that the distinction between on-ear and over-ear is a slightly artificial one and makes things even more confusing for the buyer. You're welcome to disagree
smiley-smile.gif

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
BenLaw said:

There's no secret about it. We held an Awards dinner in London on October 10th where we announced the winners to the industry (manufacturers, PRs and retailers). The Awards were then under strict embargo for one week until today, so retailers/manufacturers had time to get stock into the shops and prepare their marketing material. Then they can release their advertising/emails or whatever on the same day we unveil the winners publicly.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
BenLaw said:

Presumably they were all at the awards ceremony.

Oh yeah, I forgot they had an actual ceremony. My invite must have got lost in the post again.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
There's no secret about it. We held an Awards dinner in London on October 10th where we announced the winners to the industry (manufacturers, PRs and retailers). The Awards were then under strict embargo for one week until today, so retailers/manufacturers had time to get stock into the shops and prepare their marketing material. Then they can release their advertising/emails or whatever on the same day we unveil the winners publicly.

Thanks Andy.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
95% of the users declared that they didn't trust magazines for their ranking

And therein lies the fallacy of your post. You and those other forum users (and me) are not normal people. Normal people go online or (maybe) into Richer Sounds, want to buy something 'good' and get the thing with 5 stars.

Bang on. Exactly what I used to do when I was normal. Ah, happy days.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
BigH said:

We decided to simplify the naming convention in the Headphone category (one of the biggest with 13 Awards) by referring to them as in-ears, best portable on-ears (including 'over-ears') and best home on/over-ears (which are either too large to wear out and about, or in the case of the Grados sound fabulous but leak sound like crazy). Our view is that the distinction between on-ear and over-ear is a slightly artificial one and makes things even more confusing for the buyer. You're welcome to disagree
smiley-smile.gif

Well it is most confusing as Sennheiser do 2 versions of the Momentum the on ear one and the over ear version, so having the over ear one winning the on ear section will confuse some people who are not familiar with Sennheiser headphones, I can see people rushing out and buying the on ear ones esp. when they see the £160 price tag.

So if you had the Sennheiser On Ear headphones would it not have won an award?

How would the Sennheiser Over Ear fair in the At Home section?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Surprised the AKG 550 won best headphone at home, these can be bought for around £130 so not sure where you get your guide price of £200 from?

Also surprised your review did not pick up on the problem of lack of bass, many buyers have commented on this fact.

Bigsounds

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
A rating on the very serious Hifi-forum.de shows that 95% of the users declared that they didn't trust magazines for their ranking or the impartiality of their tests. The whole lot of the posters in the forum although, rarely could see a reality between the magazines tests and the real performance. Another serious critic coming from serious testers is that magazines NEVER make blindtests, built up serious test methodologies nor take mesures on their own. In some extreme cases, they use false methodologies for backing some voodoo theories (Stereoplay was particulary badly concerned about that). In the Whathifi ranking for example, I totally miss a test methodology, and no serious mesures seemed to have been made.

But these methods don't sell Christmas presents. :doh:

Bigsounds

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Its also such such a commercial excercise. I've had emails from Superfi and Sevenoaks referencing the awards, I'm not ever so comfortable seeing a BUY link next to the winning items either.

Of course, they sell christmas presents. You have awards this time of year for a reason.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts