What HiFi 2012 Awards Issue

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Just downloaded from Zinio and had a quick scan through before going to work. Another excellent issue.. Very happy to see MF M1 DAC made it as best DAC in the sub GBP 500 category. The Heed Obelisk amp is a surprise to me but maybe its because I am not familiar with the brand.

Excellent work WHF team.

camac

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Not received mine in the post yet.

Bit dissapointed as I usually get my copy before it hits the shops.

I have been trying to avoid the site as i like to read about who won what and then go on the forums to see the reaction.

:cry:

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Subscriber copies went out yesterday and are now in the hands of the Royal Mail. Given that the Awards were under embargo until today, we couldn't let them go out any earlier than that I'm afraid.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
That explains why I haven't received mine yet (I logged on to ask that specific question). Shame not to get the scoop though. Thumbing through the issue will feel a little anticlimactic, even though I understand why the issue was held.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Happens every year for us print junkies who live in unreliable Royal Mail areas - maybe mine will turn up tomorrow, but Monday is more likely.

The solution of course is to subscribe to the Newstand edition - something I think I'm going to do soon. Although I remember rumours of there being a joint print + digital subscription offer coming at some point - is this still on the cards?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The solution of course is to subscribe to the Newstand edition - something I think I'm going to do soon. Although I remember rumours of there being a joint print + digital subscription offer coming at some point - is this still on the cards?
Yes, still very much part of the plan, but can't yet give definite timings.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
Yes, still very much part of the plan, but can't yet give definite timings.

Okay - cheers, Andy.

John Duncan said:
Have Apple asked for their award back yet prof?

Nope.... <evil laugh for some reason>

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Purchased mine last night from the petrol station.

Last year's Awards magazine was just regurgitated reviews from recent issues mostly (I haven't bought enough this year to check if they are actually cut & pastes). Can get all that from the awards website and the online review links.

Of all the issues throughout the year it is the one I am least likely to buy. (This year has been particularly bad as I have only bought two since January.)

You wouldn't believe how good a read the magazine was back in the 1970s (I have a couple of 1978 issues that I have compared) with reviewers like Peter Comeau. They could write better copy back then and the reviews were more in-depth. (WHF? used to do measurements too.)

They also used to include the reviewers name. I guess the 'committee' review process prevents that now.

The photos are better nowadays. That's good. They are also much bigger (not so good).

Anyway, not the place for a really long rant about this. Sorry to go off topic.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

Last year's Awards magazine was just regurgitated reviews from recent issues mostly (I haven't bought enough this year to check if they are actually cut & pastes). Can get all that from the awards website and the online review links.

You wouldn't believe how good a read the magazine was back in the 1970s (I have a couple of 1978 issues that I have compared) with reviewers like Peter Comeau. They could write better copy back then and the reviews were more in-depth. (WHF? used to do measurements too.)

I know - most of the online 'Reviews' are taken from the mag or vice-versa.

I do know how good a read was back in the 70s - I used to buy. This was all before the visual aspect was included, just two-channel stuff.

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

Of all the issues throughout the year it is the one I am least likely to buy. (This year has been particularly bad as I have only bought two since January.)

They also used to include the reviewers name. I guess the 'committee' review process prevents that now.

The photos are better nowadays. That's good. They are also much bigger (not so good).

Anyway, not the place for a really long rant about this. Sorry to go off topic.

The best bit for me was the competition page.
smiley-smile.gif
I am also on the lookout for another subscription, so the deals that were mentioned were of particular interest. And it was good to see multiregion magic advertise. I always like the sound advice pages too -seeing which forum members get a mention.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
This time I got the message from Zinio that my Awards issue is available even before the email came from WHF, great improvement !!! and I think this year's Awards are given to the most deserving equipments so well done WHF.

TRENDING THREADS