What HI-FI setup would sound better?

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

Im looking to get into HI-FI and have a question regarding which setup will sound best as im torn.

Naim UnitiQute 2 with KEF lS50's

Or PMC TB2S AII + Mac (already own) + Audiolab M-DAC

Any help or opnions greatly appreciated.

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I can audition the Naim and LS50's but the PMC's will be pretty difficult.

I get what your saying, in terms of picking audio equipment a lot of it is preferential. However I was inclined to hear peoples thoughts.

From what I have read the ATL design of the PMC's will be great for bass (also great all-round) but I wondered if the LS50's will be better up top. The “perfect match" of amp and speaker in the active PMC's is attractive but the compact versatility of the Naim and lS50's is also an alluring option.

I can always buy and sell the PMC's if not to my tastes just interested to hear thoughts was all.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. The first thing to do is demo the Naim/LS50 and see what you think...and what (if any) characteristics are missing. That will then give a clue as to whether the PMCs will be better.

The LS50s are exceedingly good, but need a little room to breathe and sturdy stands that have been filled/partly filled.

I have not heard the PMCs, which have a very good reputation and have been picked over the LS50s by some.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
OD may well be right, but "better" (measurable) and preferable (subjective), are not always the same thing. With the amp module, I would expect the TB2s to be better driven....the LS50s like a powerful amp to sound at their best.

If you like a clean, neutral, revealing and punchy sound, the PMCs are probably the way to go (especially when combined with the M-DAC).....but that doesn't mean you wouldn't prefer the Naim/Kef combination, which I would expect to be less clinical and make poor recordings a little easier on the ear.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
This is an interesting if somewhat pointless question.

Firstly it contrasts two radically different approaches to musical playback which is interesting and secondly I doubt there are many on here who have heard the PMCs.

A while ago I suggested the PMC 001 power amplifiers to someone looking for a high class power amp at reasonable cost and it is these that are used to dive the latest TB2s AII.

So you have the contrast of the refined and musical Naim/KEF pairing with the hi-power 'studio' style presentation of the PMCs, or if you prefer, the underpowered and overpriced audiophile solution compared to the controlled, transparent option of professional level components.

Oh, before anyone accuses me of bias towards the 'active' solution, think again, neither system is active.....!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I've lived with the M-DAC for 18 months now (actually now in modded form). It's a super piece of kit. Bags of functionality, optional filter settings, and a super headphone amp.

Matt

rainsoothe

CnoEvil said:
IMO. The first thing to do is demo the Naim/LS50 and see what you think...and what (if any) characteristics are missing. That will then give a clue as to whether the PMCs will be better.

The LS50s are exceedingly good, but need a little room to breathe and sturdy stands that have been filled/partly filled.

I have not heard the PMCs, which have a very good reputation and have been picked over the LS50s by some.

good advice, this. For the record, plenty of people on Naim forums are happy with UQ2 (sometimes + NAP100) + Kef LS50 combo. Other speakers to audition with it should be Neat Iotas, B&W 685 S2 and even PMC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts