What hi-fi headphones?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I currently own Grado SR80's but they leak sound quite a lot..which is not impressing the other half. What other options do I have as I want the same, sound wise, if not better! but one that does not leak any sound.

idc

I was in HMV yesterday for a browse as the wife bought more shoes (she has run out of shoes and needed more urgently). They had two pairs of Bose on ear phones on demonstration, the more expensive of which was just under £100. They are closed back, so should not leak too much sound, though it is hard to tell in HMV with all that noise. However, I really liked them. They have that Bose strong bass into the midrange signature, which is also my experience of hifi from the US, such as Grado. If you want to repeat the dynamics of the SR80s, find HMV or an Apple store (I am sure they have them there to listen to as well) or John Lewis (though I dont know if you can listen to any there) and try the Bose.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I have the same problem. Unfortunately most of the best headphones are open backed. Problem for me is that ultimately I`d like to get some Sennheiser 650`s for sound quality but I still need some closed back for when there are other people in the room. So how much to spend?

Can`t remember the model now but Sennheiser used to do a really good closed back pair in the similar design to the current hd215`s but better. You`d have to find a pair second hand though and I`ve heard they have gone for silly prices in the past.

So, for yourself I`d recommend trying to audition a pair of HD380`s which although are supposedly retailing around the £150 mark can be found for £120ish . That`s what I`m going to do when I get around to it. You could if you fancied upgrade to the HD25-mk2 for around £175 though to be honest I`m not sure about sound leakage on these as they don`t completely encase your ears whereas the HD380`s do.

I auditioned some Denon 880`s once which were classed as semi-open hoping to get away with it but my daughter said they sounded just as loud as my current pair!

Depending on what you end up with it might be nice to keep your Grado`s for the odd time you have the place to yourself. Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts