What Hi-Fi Challenge

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If an editorial change were to be made, it would be up to the advertising department to work with it, as indeed it did when we moved from being What Hi-Fi? to What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision.

And FWIW, I gather the advertising department, especially those responsible for the smaller ads at the back of the magazine, would quite like a slice of the secondhand ads some other magazines carry...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
If an editorial change were to be made, it would be up to the advertising department to work with it, as indeed it did when we moved from being What Hi-Fi? to What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision.

And FWIW, I gather the advertising department, especially those responsible for the smaller ads at the back of the magazine, would quite like a slice of the secondhand ads some other magazines carry...

Jolly good... well I guess we are all clear, apart from FWIW I am not clear on that... I am going for a nice relaxing cup of coffee.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
bloatedgut:Just say that for whatever reason (Gin, severe ice-cream headache, cat dies) Claire comes into work tomorrow calls a meeting and says... 'I have decided that there is enough stereo in the world, we do not need anymore so next month we re-launch as What Secondhand Hi Fi Sound & Vision'.... how many manufacturers would pull their adverts....? (Under such circumstances would WHF survive and would Claire still be in a job at the end of it?).

Blimey, sounds like the plot of a bad daytime drama: and who is this 'Claire' who likes cats and ice-cream?
emotion-3.gif
(I'll concede the gin).

The changes we do make in content are driven by the consumer - ie what's popular out there. That's why we do regular reader research, as well as analysing retail data on what's selling at what price points. Doesn't stop us also addressing products/issue of niche appeal, but our remit has always been at the mainstream level of hi-fi and home entertainment.

And, unsurprisingly, where there are customers and popular products, you'll also find manufacturers with new products to sell and retailers with offers to promote - and we deliver that audience.

The fact that magazines that cover second-hand in far more depth sell a fraction of the amount that we do indicates to me that there's not a huge pent-up demand for magazine coverage of it. Online, however, where an increasing amount of those second-hand purchases take place, is another matter: hence all the chatter here, plus our desire to set up a Classifieds solution.

Clare Newsome:

bloatedgut:Just say that for whatever reason (Gin, severe ice-cream headache, cat dies) Claire comes into work tomorrow calls a meeting and says... 'I have decided that there is enough stereo in the world, we do not need anymore so next month we re-launch as What Secondhand Hi Fi Sound & Vision'.... how many manufacturers would pull their adverts....? (Under such circumstances would WHF survive and would Claire still be in a job at the end of it?).

Blimey, sounds like the plot of a bad daytime drama: and who is this 'Claire' who likes cats and ice-cream?
emotion-3.gif
(I'll concede the gin).

The changes we do make in content are driven by the consumer - ie what's popular out there. That's why we do regular reader research, as well as analysing retail data on what's selling at what price points. Doesn't stop us also addressing products/issue of niche appeal, but our remit has always been at the mainstream level of hi-fi and home entertainment.

And, unsurprisingly, where there are customers and popular products, you'll also find manufacturers with new products to sell and retailers with offers to promote - and we deliver that audience.

The fact that magazines that cover second-hand in far more depth sell a fraction of the amount that we do indicates to me that there's not a huge pent-up demand for magazine coverage of it. Online, however, where an increasing amount of those second-hand purchases take place, is another matter: hence all the chatter here, plus our desire to set up a Classifieds solution.

Don't give me ideas, Clare.
emotion-4.gif
(Shall I include the Gin in the 3 act structure or replace it a Pernod?).

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

emotion-3.gif
(I'll concede the gin).

Well if you ever do interview for an on-line Quentin Wilson I would love to put my name in that hat (oh... to the OP I find 'Gramophones' archives invaluable when shopping for secondhand - you can use your log in from here and I think that you can download most to .pdf - I am sure he has long gone but it is worth pointing out) if only as an excuse to meet Record Spot.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:bretty:John, Why have you got Peter Duncan from the seventies as your Avatar??!!!

Clicky

Ah, I thought maybe you had a man-crush on the all-action Blue Peter hero.

T

the record spot

bloatedgut:

Well if you ever do interview for an on-line Quentin Wilson I would love to put my name in that hat...if only as an excuse to meet Record Spot.

Well, many thanks for the kind words sir, which were a surprise to read, though I'm slightly different in the flesh to the urbane, witty, typically modest bon viveur you get in here...
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts