Question What happened to multi -CD transport? Also seeking recs

tbinnington

Oct 19, 2022
Visit site
Hi all -

First, a specific question: In the process of modernizing my HiFI, and that probably includes a small footprint CD transport (maybe to connect to KEF LS50 Wireless, or maybe another integrated amp/streamer). Can anyone recommend a small CD transport that holds multiple discs? Like Pro-Ject S3 size, but holds more than one disc.

Second, broad question: Why are multi-CD transports (in the hifi world) so uncommon, regardless of form factor? Am I missing something obvious? Nearly all of them accept a single CD. But I like putting on a bunch of albums and having audio for a few hours. Nothing worse than your music stopping in the middle of a nice dinner (one reason I never understood vinyl lovers...).

Thanks!

tbinnington

Oct 19, 2022
Visit site
Hehe of course :)

Easy use of my Tidal subscription is a criterion of my new setup-to-be, whatever that is. But I want to preserve the ability to play CDs, ideally multiple at once.

To be honest, the idea of ripping and storing via NAS, and then figuring out how to use ROON or whatever, has just always overwhelmed me. I think I'm scarred by the months I spent trying to get audio to work on my old linux computer, and equate the requisite techno-wizardry of that process with what I would need to do to set up a server, and somehow get an amp to recognize that, and somehow get my phone to be able to control it. Sigh. Call me simple...

Gray

the idea of ripping and storing via NAS, and then figuring out how to use ROON or whatever, has just always overwhelmed me.
Don't let that put you off.
No need to use NAS or Roon.
True, a few of us have found CD ripping a bit of a chore, but once you've got them stored on a hard / flash drive, they're nicely playable on the same PC or streamer you might use for your Tidal streams.

And don't worry about getting your phone to control your music - the best of the operating systems make that very easy.
(It's the reason I bought a Smartphone - just to use as a remote to control stored CDs (and streamed radio) via 'Volumio').

Reactions: WayneKerr

treesey

...and I used EAC to rip all my CDs over the past few years, and only didn't recommend it here as it is not intuitive to use - well I find setting it up 'difficult', but it does seem to do the job very very well, i.e. an exact audio copy, and it's free.
Should it not be called exact digital copy? :unsure:

nads

Ripped all my CDs and others to my NAS for play back with my Squeeze boxes. Still using them with my Bluesound Node.

once you have done it you can archive the whole lot and play any cad after any other or suddenly add a different one just like that. Yes it can take some time….

tbinnington

Oct 19, 2022
Visit site
Well, thank you all :)

I think I (indirectly) have my answer about why multi-CD transports aren't a thing anymore...I think it's because the conversation quickly becomes about ripping and NAS management :)

Anyways, thanks again for the suggestions!

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS