What format

rockerman66

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi all my denon dnp 720ae network player as a usb ports to use a memory stick. I am thinking of putting my cd on memory stick for convenience as I have a 128gb one .It can play MP3 up 320 and flac what's the best one to use as I not want to lose sound quality . many thanks

rockerman66

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your advice. I use Windows 10 on my pc and I have noticed that the media player as got a rip to flac option. So do I just put the cd in select rip to flac. Will it name the cd tracks for me. Sorry I'm new to this sort of thing. Many thanks

Gray

Unlike mp3, FLAC is lossless. Many people would be willing to bet a lot of money that, in a blind test, you'd be unable to (reliably) tell the difference between it and CD.

I've ripped close to 1000 CDs into FLAC files using EAC (Exact Audio Copy), which is free to download.

You'll fit loads of CD quality FLAC files on your 128GB memory stick. I can recommend EAC but however and to wherever you rip them, MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP THE FLAC FILES somewhere else.

Gray

Although I now use Windows 10, I'm not familiar with the way it rips CDs. However, I'd be surprised if it doesn't do what many rippers do - they go online to find CD track listings and album art.

Trouble is, they use databases that have, over time, been populated by other rippers. They've often filled in track details with spelling mistakes and mixed up labelling / poor / incorrect album art.

My strong advice would be to ensure all details / album art is exactly how you want it early on. In other words, don't get 100+ discs in before you decide how you want the metadata to look. There are programmes that can make bulk changes to metadata, but it's better to know how you want it before you get into it. (I won't pretend this is fun - people have given up after starting to rip CD collections. Personally, I couldn't charge someone enough money to rip a large collection properly for them!)

Album art by the way, is stored, usually as a jpeg, in the same folder as the FLAC files. Devices that display album art see the jpeg as you play the files in the folder.

The easy bit is the FLACcing, it's the metadata tagging / album art that's the real faff (if you want to do it properly) and that's why backup is absolutely essential.

See what Windows 10 finds when you load a CD ready for 'Rip to FLAC'.

Stand by to learn a hell of a lot as you go along!

Gray

MajorFubar said:
Gray said:
The easy bit is the FLACcing, it's the metadata tagging / album art that's the real faff (if you want to do it properly) and that's why backup is absolutely essential.
Ain't that the truth!!

Sound's like you've been there Major. Compared with climbing Everest it's no achievement, but I reckon the relief might be the same when it's all done.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts