What floorstanders to buy £500 to £1000?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

pete, like I said, have not heard the pro-ac's but here is a snippet from someone on google who has both the dittons and the pro-ac's ... not sure if it's the ones you quoted (so take it with a pinch of salt if you wish, but makes for intersting reading)

In classic British tradition that gave the world Abbey Road Studios, the Ditton 66 is designed to true professional standards of sound accuracy.
These are some of the sexiest speakers in existence: all curves are in place.
One of very few speaker designs that do not allow you to hear the crossover.
Natural sound.
The best Celestion speaker ever made.
Zero listening fatigue.
You can buy a brand new set of ProAc for $5000, or you can buy Celestion 66.
Note that ProAc are not even close to 18 - 40000 Hz frequency range that Celestion are capable of. EVEN THE LOWEST ORGAN ROAR CAN BE HEARD AND FELT.
Nothing in Celestion line compares to these beauties - they are in class of their own, grand scale sound. Ditton 44 sound muddy and boomy in comparison (I owned them), and the rest of the line - 22, 15, etc, all are too small to be compared

SPECS:
* 18 Hz to 40 kHz - TRUE FULL RANGE, BEYOND HUMAN HEARING
* 102 dB S.P.L. output - even more on transients. They can go LOUD.
* 4 - 8 Ohms impedance
* THD below 0.7% (most speaker manufacturers do not publish this data, as it will put their products to shame; Bose surround system speakers, for instance, have THD of 10% or higher. So much for music...)
* Recommended Amplifier: 10 Watts to 160 Watts RMS
* I recommend a quality solid state amp stable into 4 Ohms, with at least 100 WPC power, for proper dynamic headroom. Best sound will be obtained with 4 or more metal case output transistors per channel used in DC design.
* Nominal input: 80 watts; peak load: 150 Watts
* Driver Complement:
- HF2000 Dome Tweeter (specified by the B.B.C. for monitor use)
- MD500 Dome Mid-range (only very expensive speakers made today use dome mid-range drivers)
- FC12 Bass (12") - for unparalleled "Oomph" factor- true Celestion sound
- Passive A.B.R (12")
* All drivers made by Celestion in England
* The grilles are metal. THAT'S RIGHT, METAL. Woven metalized fabric over metal grill.
* Cabinet Dimensions 40" x 15" x 11.5" = 100 x 38 x 29 cm
* Heavy!
* Natural Teak finish

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
dim_span: Note that ProAc are not even close to 18 - 40000 Hz frequency range that Celestion are capable of. * 18 Hz to 40 kHz - TRUE FULL RANGE, BEYOND HUMAN HEARING

The same as you, I'm referring to secondhand speakers, the Proac's at £850, albeit just a year or so old. There's not much point in trying to compete with a frequency range you can't hear? With regard to the bass, yes the Ditton 66's are rated impressively low at 18hz, but I think you'd need a fairly large room with good acoustics to appreciate that sort of bass. I think we'll have to agree you'd prefer the Ditton 66's and I'd spend an extra £200 to get the Proac's.
emotion-1.gif

dim_span:plastic penguin:pete321:

MUSICRAFT:Please consider Monitor Audio's new Silver RX6 speakers and if you can acomodate them than also the Silver RX8's. Both are superb and excellent VFM

Not as good as the Proac D15's on eBay for £850 at the moment though (even with the chip in the top).

How much did the Proacs retail for?

Tannoy's are going for a song at the moment. There was some R2's on ebay, so I'm not sure if the auction is still going.

Regarding Dittons, although I've not heard them, and given their size, I would suggest modern day speaker have better detail retrieval and refinement.

well, I suggest that if you have the opportunity, have a listen you will be amazed

I don't doubt their quality - I'm a big fan of retro equipment. I still have an old pair of Wharfedales 'E' series, and they produce a very high quality sound - I still love'em. However, compared to newer designs, the sonic characteristics are very different; they have a big engrossing sound, although they lack a little subtly and refinement that's common in modern stuff.

A

Anonymous

Hey! ... I'm not arguing! ... thought I'd give my advice on the budget that was specified ...

just maybe I prefer the sound of older gear and am very passionate about older hifi equipment

... have heard these and will say that I will definately get a pair when I have the cash ... as well as a pair of IMF TLS 80's and a pair of LS3/5A's and a pair of ....
emotion-2.gif

matthewpiano

I think there are superb speakers about whether old or new.

I love the Quad 11Ls on the end of the right amplifier and, out of all the modern speakers I've heard they are one of my favourites. I also love Focal speakers which seem to bring music to life in a quite stunning way.

On the older end of the scale I believe Mordaunt-Shorts of the late 1980s/early 90s were superb. Everyone raves about the Tannoy F1 Customs (which are very good) but a good pair of Mordaunt-Short MS-10s would knock them into a cocked hat. I have a pair of MS25Ti, which is a sealed box standmount design, and they are excellent - actually much better than the MS902i (of which I also have a pair). So too are the KEF C30s that I have from the late 80s. The KEFs image superbly.

Older Tannoys are also superb (6 series, Eclipses etc) and Celestion made some fantastic speakers.

In the end, older designs have won me over for the performance-per-pound they give. My Mission 751s cost me £100 in excellent condition and they easily better the MS Mezzo 2s (which I've had) and the B&W 685s (which I had here for a week-long loan). Both of those are models that I rate very highly for different reasons but the Missions combine the best of both and at a much lower price point.

The beauty of this game now is that, with all the old and new kit out there, there is so much choice and that all our many different requirements can be met.

matthewpiano

Slightly more on-topic I would have thought the Monitor Audio RX6 would be well worth an audition. What I've heard of the RX2 impressed me greatly and the range seems to be getting very positive reception. Build quality is a given with MA and they should make for a very involving listen.

I'd also look at the B&W 684 (to see if you like what they do) and I'd say the Focal Chorus 714v and 715v should be well worth an audition. Focal make some stunning sounding speakers.

A

Anonymous

have not heard any of these, but have heard lots of good things about them?

snell c/ii speakers + stands ... ebay item 270430716481 ... buy it now of £550

(seller has loads of really good hifi gear all with buy it nows ... stuff like Dynaudio contour 1.8 for £400 (have head a pair of these and they are really good) ... vienna acoustic mozart for £800 ... and loads more

T

the record spot

Snell kit? Serious thumbs up here...some very nice speakers.

robreid

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the replys and opinions. I think I will wait and read Decembers What-hifi and see what the test says about the different speakers.

I think I will stick with floor standers, I know you get more quality for your money with standmounters but I personally prefer the sound from floorstanders, which is part of the reson I want a change. I wasn't a big fan of the MA Silver and broze ranges 8 years ago when I listened to them and much prefered the sound of the gold series but will need to give them a listen on the back of the recommedations as the gold series is a bit out of my price range.

cheers, Rob

pete321:

MUSICRAFT:Fair enough, however i was recommending to robreid speakers (such as the Silver RX6's and RX8's) that are in production today with a RRP of up to £1k.
emotion-1.gif

I'd definately go along with you if they have to be new, RX6's or 8's, but the last few D15's (replaced by D18's) currently retail for £1800, so at £850 secondhand I would hope you'd agree they're in a different league from RX6's or RX8's.

ProAc_Response_D15.jpg

Hi pete321

Fair enough.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts