What effect a new power supply for a mostly Naim system?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

My current system is Naim NAC112, NAP150, Rotel 855 RCD, Beresford Caiman DAC & ATC SCM40's. Thought I'm really happy with this system as allways I'm pondering potential upgrade routes and have come up with the following: Up-grade the pre-amp to either a NAC202 or 282 (but this would be expensive even on the s/h market so would be a long term idea). Something that would be more financially realistic would be to add a seperate power supply for the pre-amp and I have been looking at three options; Naim Flatcap, Avondale TPX1 or TPX2 and a TeddyCap.

Everyone seems to give these supplies a really good right up and suggest that you should expect quite a lift in performance with greater clarity, control and better defined bass lines. My questions is (from the position of a gentle cynic) - does anyone have experience of any of these and if so is it a night and day experience or should I put up and shut up and save my pennies for the new pre-amp. I admit that I'm eager to get some new toys sooner rather than later so am quite keen on the power supply option.

Cheers!!!

Robert

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
honeyquince:Something that would be more financially realistic would be to add a seperate power supply for the pre-amp and I have been looking at three options; Naim Flatcap, Avondale TPX1 or TPX2 and a TeddyCap.

Lost me on 'TeddyCap' i'm afraid. (Decapitated Teddy?)

Naim have an excellent searchable forum where all of the options you list (and many more besides) will have been discussed to death.

If I ever had more money than I needed (doubtful) and still had Naim (even more doubtful) then I would play 'safe' and try out the Naim PSUs on loan from your dealer first.

A

Anonymous

Hi Chebby,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know about the Naim forum but they don't discuss non naim supplies for a variety of reasons some more obvious than others! I also feel that I wouldn't get a particularly neutral response there so was keen to venture outside of the fold. I would love to borrow a power supply from my local dealer but feel intimidated by them and suspect that they wouldn't want to lend me anything especially as all of my Naim kit came from other second hand sources.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
honeyquince:I would love to borrow a power supply from my local dealer but feel intimidated by them and suspect that they wouldn't want to lend me anything especially as all of my Naim kit came from other second hand sources.

My local Naim dealer is staffed by the least intimidating bunch you could ever meet! (Scroll down that linked page to see what I mean.)

I am sure if you explain your needs and your system to them, and tell them your budget, they will come up with some useful ideas. Don't be intimidated. Remember that even the most 'elevated' and knowledgable dealers are still shop keepers and shop assisants and their next meal might be in your wallet.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Chebby, yes they look like a friendly and laid back bunch. You're right I should be braver - I did after all buy my Naca5 from them! I should also remember that there are other Naim dealers around.

TRENDING THREADS