What does a DAC do?

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm sorry for the totally basic question, but I was wondering what a DAC does?

I've been reading a lot about the Beresford DAC and how good it is, but I'm not totally sure about it's function.
emotion-43.gif

Secondly, where can you get them - Is the Stanley Beresford site via Ebay?

Finally, my Onkyo 875 and Quad L-ite's are arriving this week. I have a Sony Vaio PCV RZ504 that runs Giga Pocket Software and I also use I-tunes. Do I need a DAC?

Again, soory for the level of my question - total beginner!

emotion-3.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Digital to analogue converter - converts digital data into analogue audio.

No you don't need one - there are DACs built into your receiver and PC.

A

Anonymous

A DAC converts the digital signal (1001010100 for example) to an analogue signal. Dac means Digital Analogue converter. Almost all cd and dvd players have one as does almost every computer.
Why then a separate DAC you ask? Well, that's because with budget and mid-priced kit there's usually room for improvement.[quote user="tommyb"]
Secondly, where can you get them - Is the Stanley Beresford site via Ebay?

[/quote]
Copy this link: http://www.homehifi.co.uk/main/main.html[quote user="tommyb"]
Finally, my Onkyo 875 and Quad L-ite's are arriving this week. I have a Sony Vaio PCV RZ504 that runs Giga Pocket Software and I also use I-tunes. Do I need a DAC?

[/quote]
For the Sony Vaio you don't have to get a dac to get sound out of it but it definitely will improve quite dramatically when using an external dac. Itunes is just software, a dac is hardware. You definitely need software to be able to play tunes on your pc, but you could also use Foobar or Winamp for example. By the way, I just found out that, when using a pc as a music source, it's definitely recommendable to download and install asio4all. It will improve the sound quality of your pc.As for the amp, I can only say it would help if 1)the amp has no digital in or 2) the dac that's built in is worse than the seperate bereford dac.[quote user="tommyb"]
Again, soory for the level of my question - total beginner!

emotion-3.gif

[/quote]No problem, glad to help, that's what this forum is for!

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Andrew & Solomon - many thanks. So, no need for the DAC then - I would assume the Onkyo 875 is sufficient due to it's spec.

I must say that this forum is truly billiant!
emotion-2.gif
emotion-21.gif

Although it's not great for the pocket
emotion-9.gif
- it helps make decisions based on peoples experiences who have much more knowledge than I do!

I must admit - I thought choosing the 875 and my Quad L-ites was difficult, but the biggest problem I'm having over this whole process is deciding upon Speaker cable, Sub Cable and Digital Coax - I just can't find a straight answer - so so so so many different opinions - all of which make perfect sense when you read them!

I think I'm going to spend slightly more on the cable for my front speakers than that for my surrounds - but, I have no idea to be honest!
emotion-12.gif

Fingers crossed I'll sort it soon. I've had Gotham cable recommended so hopefully I'll have some success with that.

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
By the way, I just found out that, when using a pc as a music source, it's definitely recommendable to download and install asio4all. It will improve the sound quality of your pc.
What does the asio4all app do? I'm even worse with PC's!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Asio4all avoids some really crappy windows software (kmixer) that degrades the sound from your pc. If you're not going to use it as a source, don't think or worry about it.I just mentioned it because you mentioned you vaio pc together with the dac question.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="tommyb"]
Andrew & Solomon - many thanks. So, no need for the DAC then - I would assume the Onkyo 875 is sufficient due to it's spec.

I must say that this forum is truly billiant!
emotion-2.gif
emotion-21.gif

Although it's not great for the pocket
emotion-9.gif
- it helps make decisions based on peoples experiences who have much more knowledge than I do!

I must admit - I thought choosing the 875 and my Quad L-ites was difficult, but the biggest problem I'm having over this whole process is deciding upon Speaker cable, Sub Cable and Digital Coax - I just can't find a straight answer - so so so so many different opinions - all of which make perfect sense when you read them!

I think I'm going to spend slightly more on the cable for my front speakers than that for my surrounds - but, I have no idea to be honest!
emotion-12.gif

Fingers crossed I'll sort it soon. I've had Gotham cable recommended so hopefully I'll have some success with that.
[/quote]

If I were you I would use the same cable throughout.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts