What do you think about this gaming/av setup?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
made my decision and thinking about getting this setup, what do ya think?

Panasonic TX-P50VT20 £2000

Onkyo TX-SR608 £450
Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 £300
Chord Company Supershield x 2 £100
Chord carnival superscreen est. £200
Tacima CS929 £25
Clearer Audio Copper-Line Alpha x 4 £130
Playstation 3 slim console 320gb £320
some sort of rack est. £250

estimate overall price £3800

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I'd probably spend more on the speakers to take advantage of the rest of the setup and less on cables at the initial setup (cables can easily be upgraded from the freebie versions later on).

Other than that, looks good to me! Obviously audition at least the key items against other items available at the moment i.e. the TV, the AV amp (see this month's group test in WHF for other good AV amps that may suit your setup better) and the speaker package.

A

Anonymous

Do you reckon I should go for the q acoustic 2000 av system instead? is there much difference size/sound wise, apart from being newer.

thanks

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
professorhat:
I'd probably spend more on the speakers to take advantage of the rest of the setup and less on cables at the initial setup (cables can easily be upgraded from the freebie versions later on).

I agree. Perhaps re-assign some of your cable budget towards a better speaker set. You're spending an awful lot on cabling

A

Anonymous

Yup - way too much on cable and rack, unless its aprt of a design thing?

A nice Ikea unit should suffice for the equipment and cabling can be got for much cheaper.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
silentone01:Do you reckon I should go for the q acoustic 2000 av system instead? is there much difference size/sound wise, apart from being newer.

Perhaps - I haven't heard the 2000s, but judging from the reviews they're a step up from the 1010is (which I have heard). The Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 package would be a much better bet in my opinion and can be picked up for a bit more than £700 these days and your Onkyo amp would thank you for them! You could pay for the upgrade by saving money through not getting upgraded power cables and maybe skimp on the HDMI cables (for now), as well as buying one of the cheaper PS3s with a smaller hard drive and upgrading it for much cheaper by following my guide in my signature
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for ya help everyone, maybe the cable and rack estimate is a bit to much, Ive got a budget of about £3800 so I think thats enough whatever happens. Looks i'll be doing some browsing this weekend.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

I'd say you'll have a pretty kick ass system for £3800 quid.

A

Anonymous

looks like a good set up,id settle for chord carnival silver screen or qed, if you can find an acoustic energy neo 5.1 package on fleabay for a decent price go for it. neo 1's go for £100 a pair and center is the same online. so thats £500 for 5 speakers and the sub comes in at £250 ish. overall its a fantastic system with the onkyo, with a lot of bang for the buck. you could always pick up the extra two channels at a later date.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Silentone01,

I would agree with the Professor. Go for the Monitor Audio BR2 AV Speakers and you have a very fine system indeed.

Available for £599.00

http://www.hifix.co.uk/sku2.lasso?MONITOR%20AUDIO-BR2%20AV%20&item=87d3892551dd5fa0b7e33c568d9fbd4b

Ronald

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Ronald Archiebald:
Silentone01,

I would agree with the Professor. Go for the Monitor Audio BR2 AV Speakers and you have a very fine system indeed.

Available for £599.00

http://www.hifix.co.uk/sku2.lasso?MONITOR%20AUDIO-BR2%20AV%20&item=87d3892551dd5fa0b7e33c568d9fbd4b

Ronald

599 for the BR2 AV
729 for the BR5 AV

Bargains !!

A

Anonymous

I'd say go for the B&W 685 Speaker system and the Onkyo 608, Yamaha 667 which would be like half your budget. Speakers remember are the main delivery of your setup the Amp can only be as good as the speakers its attached too.

I'd get the cheapest possible cables etc and keep main money for good speakers and decent amp.

A

Anonymous

I can vouch for the MA BR2's compatability with an Onkyo receiver as I have both and absolutely love them. Also, my mate has the same Onkyo and uses the KEF KHT 2005.3-K1 package with his Home cinema/gaming system (PS3) and he is very impressed with its vibrant delivery.

Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts