What do you reckon?Onkyo TX-SR875,Yamaha (or one of two Denons)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello people,

I'm in the process of upgrading my entire home entertainment equipment and so far the only thing i got is the PS3. I've decided on the TV, none other than the highly appraised Pioneer PDP-508XD (though I'd prefer a 60-inch-er sitting at a 4mtr distance, but they're tooo expensive yet).

Next is the AV Receiver and finally the speakers. For those two I've got about 2500 to spend, so the 1000 pound mark sounds good for the receiver. Both the Onkyo and Yamaha are similarly priced but i cannot find a review on the later, the magazine has excellent reviews on the Onkyo though.

Anyone heard the Yamaha in action? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Finally any recommendations on the speakers to be used with either of those two amps (for a 5.1 set-up), costing up to 1500 to use in a big'ish room? (6x5mtr)

Thank you in advance, and looking forward to your replies.

Best regards.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, Awards crazy here....

Right, re receivers, go for the Onkyo - you won't be disappointed. I'd love to tell you how the Yamaha compares, but the company - despite winning Awards and five-star reviews from us for years - has declined to submit any products from its recent range. Which I take to mean they don't think they'd do too well in comparative testing... Here's hoping they change their mind soon, or i'll be flexing the WHF credit card!

Re speakers - you don't mention whether you're after style or conventional looking systems, so here's a suggestion for both. B&W's MT30 (£1575) is an awesome style package, with the PV1 subwoofer having the agility and heft to suit your larger room. For a larger sound all-round, a full-size package along the lines of the Monitor Audio Silver RS1 AV (£1650) would be an excellent beefy match for the Onkyo.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
If only the Onkyo was not such a ugly Duckling!
emotion-9.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot for your reply Clare (looking forward to the awards),

What do you think of this 5.1 B&W package,

Floor-standers: DM604/or 603 S3 (2 at the front),
Bookshelf: DM602/or 601 S3 (2 at the rear),
Centre: LCR60/or 600 S3,
Subwoofer: ASW675.

(I'm more interested in performance than anything else)
I can pick them up at my budget price of £1500 (if i opt for the 604 and 602) and £1200 (603 and 601), or would you still recommend the Monitor Audio package you mentioned?

Re amplifier: i thought the Onkyo would be better but now I'm faced with another dilemma (since it's hard to find any stores in Cyprus that have Onkyos).

In the store that i found the above B&W package i was also shown a couple of Denon av-receivers to go along with them... the similarly priced AVR-3808 and the more expensive AVR-4308.

One thing that worried me about both of them was the lack of THX Ultra2 certification.

I know they're both new models so I'm not sure if you had a chance to sample them.

Thank you again for your feedback.

A

Anonymous

Claire what utter clap trap!! what an appalling statement, The RXV3800 has only been available from Yamaha for about 3 weeks ( I work in the trade and know for a fact when they were available). Now i've done my own comparative testing between the Yam and the Onkyo '875 and do you know what? The Yamaha is a better product Whilst not quite having the grunt of the Onkyo (the claimed power ratings have to treated with a little suspition in my opinion) The processing seems to extract more information the general build is better the remote is quick and responsive (the onkyos remote volume is painfully slow) It doesn't have the massive heat problem the Onkyo has (very important when mounting in a cabinet) also yamaha has an unbroken history in home cinema in this country going back 15 years ( Onkyo seem to come and go) So I suggest you do what you mentioned in your post and go and buy one because you might be pleasently surprised (but I suspect onkyo will hold sway with you for a while to justify the awards you dished out to them this month!!

And BTW I put my own money where my mouth is and bought the Yamaha (after at least two weeks of testing on my own speaker system at home it was streets ahead)

Regards.......................................

A

Anonymous

[quote user="tdm34"]
Claire what utter clap trap!! what an appalling statement,

Regards.......................................

[/quote]

Welcome to the forum - what a lovely first post

You sound very aggresive - does something bother you about the situation?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="tdm34"]
Claire what utter clap trap!! what an appalling statement, The RXV3800 has only been available from Yamaha for about 3 weeks ( I work in the trade and know for a fact when they were available). Now i've done my own comparative testing between the Yam and the Onkyo '875 and do you know what? The Yamaha is a better product Whilst not quite having the grunt of the Onkyo (the claimed power ratings have to treated with a little suspition in my opinion) The processing seems to extract more information the general build is better the remote is quick and responsive (the onkyos remote volume is painfully slow) It doesn't have the massive heat problem the Onkyo has (very important when mounting in a cabinet) also yamaha has an unbroken history in home cinema in this country going back 15 years ( Onkyo seem to come and go) So I suggest you do what you mentioned in your post and go and buy one because you might be pleasently surprised (but I suspect onkyo will hold sway with you for a while to justify the awards you dished out to them this month!!

[/quote]

Believe me, Award winners aren't sacrosanct - if we found a better product tomorrow we'd tell you all about it right away! Take last year - two Award winners fell within mere months when newer, better products came along.

Re availability - we typically get products from the main manufacturers before they hit the shops, and there is no reason why (if Yamaha had wanted to) they couldn't have submitted the products for the Awards, just as ever other major receiver rival - Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, Sony etc - did.

And I agree, Yamaha has a fantastic reputation. We have a Yamaha Z9 - an Award winner from a few years back - at home that we paid our own money for, too!

However, our Awards aren't based on reputation, they're based on extensive listening against everything else out there at the time.

We're in continuing discussions with Yamaha re review kit, so watch this space...

A

Anonymous

Interesting debate this!

I am on the verge of buying the Yamaha 3800 as I've been informed that its a better bet than the Onkyo 875 and 905.

Given that the Yamaha is priced against the Onkyo 905, I am still not 100% convinced by the Yam.

I have owned Yamaha A/V amps previously and was fortunate to be able to buy the then range toppers, DSPA3090 and then a DSP1. 3 Year ago i decided to buy an uber amp so I trued the Pioneer VSX-AX10i - which as good as it is, I've never really taken to it.

Now I've decieded to upgrade my viewing to HD so I want an amp that will do the job, however the new Pioneer and Yamaha uber amps are a tad out of my price range (unless either company would like to embark on my new concept known as "Permaloan", where you allow me to run one of your uber amps on loan for a couple of years - worth a try I suppose!!!) : )

It seems that as the years role by, the A/V amps and and recievers have become far better and feature packed for much less money which is good news for the consumer. I still find that spending the best part of £1400.00 is to be taken fairly seriously and would dearly like to see a back to back test done between the Yamaha and the Onkyo, or just some impartial advice.

I happen to know TDM34 personally and he is an ardent Yamaha fan (you may have gathered that!!!), however if as Clare has said that Yamaha have refused to "play ball" in being forthcoming with new products then this strikes me as a little odd. Whilst there maybe a certain degree of assumption for the reasons behind Yamahas decision, i'm a great believer in your first instinct is normally the right one!

Some clarity as to which amp to buy would be very welcome - for me at least!

Any suggestions please???

Thanks guys and gals.

A

Anonymous

Setup: Loewe Xelos A26, Denon 1920 MR Player, Yamaha 3800, M&K 6.1 (K7 * 4, K4 * 2 & KX10), QED Silver Anniversary speaker wire, Wireworld Starlight 5.2 HDMI, Pace DS810XE

Yeah hi everyone. I too was debating which receiver to go for recently and after speaking to many dealers for about a week they all confrimed that they thought the yamaha was slightly better with my speaker setup compared to the onkyo and the pioneer vsx-lx70.

I cannot comment on the onkyo as i did not audition it purely because as mentioned earlier it is a real ugly thing and let's face it these days style counts for a lot too.

The yamaha was very easy to setup. It certainly sounds better than my previous receiver Pioneer VS-AX4ASi, which takes a lot and produces better colour too.

Unfortunately i am not able to test the new sound formats nor the deep colours as i haven't got a tv or a high definition player capable of supporting all this yet.

So my conclusion would be that the yamaha is very good and if bought at the right price is well worth it, though it will still cost moer than the onkyo. I would say that if you are still unsure which one to go for then audition both and decide for yourself.

A

Anonymous

well over here in the netherlands the yamaha is available for a lower price than the onkyo 875 makes it even easier to go for it i saved 70 euros by doing so. it really was a ridicilous low price though and only from 1 shop
so defenitly shop around saved me 300 euros on the standard yammie price!

greetz Tamar

A

Anonymous

I am about to purchase a new Complete system. I am looking at the following and would appreciate any constructive comments:

Plasma - Pioneer PDP-LX608D
Blu Ray Player - Pioneer BDP-LX708A
HD DVD - Unsure?
Receiver - Usure, toying between Denon 4308, Onkyo TX-SR875 or Yamaha RX-V3800

Your views would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Allan

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
No argument whatsoever with the Pioneer plasma and Blu-ray player, and I'd definitely go with the Onkyo TX-SR875 receiver (it was our Best Buy receiver over £750 in the 2007 Awards). As for HD DVD, there isn't a huge amount of choice at the moment, so I'd go for the 5-star Toshiba HD-EP35 (£350) .

A

Anonymous

Andy,

Many thanks for your reply!

If I was not concerned about the cost of the receiver or HD DVD player would your recommendations change? I have been given some feedback that the build quality on the Onkyo was not that great and also this receiver has a tendancy to lighten Blacks and change the look of Whites. Your views would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Allan

A

Anonymous

Old post i know but i was in a demo room with the new yamaha amp 3800! and siblance was awfull now if was a fault of the speakers or not i im not to sure but the onkyo that was demo'd directly afterwards displayed no such probs

A

Anonymous

So, to the lovely people at What Hi-Fi......... are there any plans for a review of the Yamaha RX-V3800 due soon?

I'm hearing good things about it from a few people (granted they all want to sell me one!), but I would appreciate your impartial advice.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
As Clare mentioned in an earlier post, we're in continuing discussions with Yamaha to get them to supply their new models (including the RX-V3800) for review, but they remain reluctant to do so (don't understand why). If that fails, we'll resort to plan B and buy/borrow one if necessary.

A

Anonymous

Ah, so Yamaha are still not playing ball!

From a consumers point of view.......... it doesn't look good that they are reluctant to supply the expert reviewers with their latest offerings.

I have a feeling that I might have to stick with my original choice (Onkyo 875).

Cheers Andy

A

Anonymous

I auditioned the Yam 3800 and Onkyo 875 at home...

In my opinion, the Yamaha is a much nicer looking/feeling bit of kit (I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder - but the Onkyo really has been flogged hard with the ugly stick), but there was ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT that the Onkyo had a lot more guts to the sound than the yamaha... whatever the numbers say, with various speaker combo's I tried, the Onkyo was harder/faster/louder than the Yam. sound quality was on a par.

That said - my hard earned went on the Onkyo's little brother (605) ultimately with the benefit of back to back testing - to both my own and my partners eyes or ears, there was very little to separate the quality of sound/visuals generated, so in my total budget - spending 600 less on the av receiver left 600 more in the kitty for my screen... and the difference of an extra 600 spent on the screen made a huge improvement!

Faced with the choice of onkyo/yamaha -

On a pure performance basis I'd go for the Onkyo. If the receiver had to be somewhere very visible and the aesthetics really mattered, probably I'd choose the Yam and be happy... Really in this case there's very little to seperate them.

PS - I am delighted with my Onkyo 605 and don't regret not buying the bigger bro

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback Ben.

I have to admit that I have been pondering the difference between the 605 and 875 for a couple of weeks now, but I keep getting battered with audio shop techies banging on about the difference in the quality of the video processing in the 875.

Whilst one half of me is convinced that this is just to get me to dig deeper for the sake of their commission.............. the other half does wonder if there is anything to it and will make any difference to me, considering I am currently only running with a Tosh 32WLT66 LCD at the mo.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Ketch"]Thanks for the feedback Ben. I have to admit that I have been pondering the difference between the 605 and 875 for a couple of weeks now, but I keep getting battered with audio shop techies banging on about the difference in the quality of the video processing in the 875. Whilst one half of me is convinced that this is just to get me to dig deeper for the sake of their commission.............. the other half does wonder if there is anything to it and will make any difference to me, considering I am currently only running with a Tosh 32WLT66 LCD at the mo.[/quote]

Ketch,

Sounds like you are in much the same quandry as I was when I started down the road of home cinema...

In the end, I decided to set myself a total system budget, even if I was not going to spend it all in one hit (basically I had to decide something to stop the whole system from snowballing, and to get the other half to let me go ahead) as before I did this, it seemed no matter which bit of kit I liked, the shops seemed to always have something 'just a little bit more expensive' that included some 'must have' bit of technology... it all was getting silly.

I started much like you with a 32" screen, but knowing I was going to upgrade to something around 40-42", my living room is about 4.5m x 6m.

My initial tryout was the 605 and a set of KEF3005s - Immediately, even with my old TV and existing old Pioneer DVD player I was very impressed. But much like you suggest, I had really been 'sold' the 875. So I decided to give it a try. At the same time, the Yamaha had just become available, for similar money- so I decided to try one of these as well (which the store let me do for 2 days, with a hold on my credit card for the retail price), so at this point I had the 605, 875 and Yam all in my house at the same time.

Now, reality was, with the 3005s, there was near as dammit nothing to split any of the systems, although I would go as far as to say, i think even though it's close, I suspect the baby onkyo would out muscle the yamaha (I'll probably have yamaha fans yelling at me over this)

The remote for the 875 is nicer than the one with the 605 (the remote for the yamaha is nicer than both the onkyos) - Setup was easier for the Onkyo, I'm not a complete amateur, but I'm no expert either - the audessey (spelling) system in the Onkyo made setting up the system an absolute breeze, with pretty good results (using a little microphone that you position where you sit etc, it automaticaly determines the size, frequency response and distance to your speakers etc and does all the setup, equalisation etc. I've since fiddled around more and absolutely love the results.

After owning the system for a few weeks, I can say I am very happy with my decision to go for the 605, and balance out my system with a few extra pounds available for other kit.

If money were no object - perhaps I would go for the 875, but in my eyes, this would not be justified without spending twice the budget on speakers, TV etc etc.

For reference, my total system (as it stands) is as follows

Onkyo 605 receiver - £400
KEF IQ5SE (front speakers) - £300
Mordaunt Short Alumni 5.1, (1 center, 4 surround & subwoofer (used to create full 7.1 setup) - £600
Panasonic TH42PX70 plasma - £900 (although it seems that just typically after I bought mine these have dropped by about 100 pounds everywhere)
Toshiba EP35 HD-DVD player - £300
Total system cost - £2500

Now, given that - Imagine I had spent £1000 on the receiver..... that would really have compromised the rest of my system (somewhere) - also, I can say if I spent the extra £600 on the reciever I seriously doubt that I would notice any significant benefit on a daily basis. However, if my budget was closer to 5k for the dvd/tv/surround setup, I would have gone for the 875.

Hope my random rant helps. Good luck

A

Anonymous

Thanks again Ben.

You've definitely given me food for thought.

Ketch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts