What do we want?

Annapurna

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I've been attending HIFI Shows and product launches for the better part of 10-years now. At one such event recently I found myself reflecting to myself what I most enjoy about these events. I have to say on reflection that the format tends to be a little dry and tired. I wondered what I would personally like to see more of at these events and in the spirit of my hobbie I thought I'd pose this question to the rest of the forum.

What would you look for and consider most important in a HIGH END AUDIO event?

What do you feel you most enjoy and also dislike about a HIFI Show or product launch?

Who or what would you consider a good addition to the standard audio demonstration?

Does live music played through a HIFI system appeal to you?

And what of home cinema presentations, does this work?

:)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Annapurna said:
I've been attending HIFI Shows and product launches for the better part of 10-years now. At one such event recently I found myself reflecting to myself what I most enjoy about these events. I have to say on reflection that the format tends to be a little dry and tired. I wondered what I would personally like to see more of at these events and in the spirit of my hobbie I thought I'd pose this question to the rest of the forum.

What do you feel you most enjoy and also dislike about a HIFI Show or product launch?

Who or what would you consider a good addition to the standard audio demonstration?

:)

My wife and I went to one hi-fi show in the mid 1980s but we managed to escape.

It was in Brighton and it was sunny that day and I had not realised the full horror of such events before agreeing to a lift there from an acquaintance.

We spent the rest of the day on the beach and got the train home. (Made apologies to the acquaintance later as this was pre-mobile phone and he didn't know where we'd gone.)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Annapurna said:

Having been to the Bristol Hi-Fi show for several years now what I'd most like is if nobody else was there. I do wonder why I bother sometimes, you rarely get a decent chance to listen to anything properly and it's always the same dreary jazz or vocal music (I gave up taking samples of my own music a while back although to be fair at this years KEF demo they did play a track off a CD a woman had brought with her).

Dunno, never been to one.

How does that work then? Or do you mean when a live album is being played? If the latter then really, outside of the KEF room the only time I've been seriously impressed by a system was a couple of years back in the Wilson Benesch room, they had a Harry Belafonte live album playing off of vinyl through some system (big speakers, I've no idea what) but it really did sound like you were in the concert hall with him, quite extraordinary, that made me realise what people mean by "holographic soundstage".

Better than the hi-fi ones do IME.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts