What DID happen to SED...................?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
All the talk a couple of years back, joint venture between Toshiba and Canon giving all sorts of promises

Contrast of a CRT

Slimness of OLED

Was going to put LCD and Plasma literally in the shade with picture quality

I did read about some Intellectual Property concerns with a third party IPR/IC...............would be interetsing to know if this technology will be revived given the current WHF comments on the OLED screen

Anyone know??

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Well, something has been heard since. The format is unfortunately officially dead.

I could post a link, but I am afraid that would be against the house rules...

scene

Andrew Everard:
TKratz:I could post a link, but I am afraid that would be against the house rules...

So glad you didn't, in that case...

(Mind you, you could have posted this one...)

And I'm fairly certain he could have posted the link to Canon's official announcement of the liquidation of it's SED division: click

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
So.........................

SED gone but now "maybe" FED?

Interesting......................I wonder if any of the big boys (Sony) have the appetite for the investment, and potential for failure in the current climate?

A

Anonymous

I thought OLED was the current next big thing?

Roll-up telly FTW.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Nice info there Scene
emotion-21.gif

I only had the information from a second hand source.

I don't believe in FED either, but I do believe in OLED however. Let us see if the IFA will bring some light on this. Rumours says, that LG will present a 31 inch prototype ready for production and sale next year
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

TKratz:
Nice info there Scene
emotion-21.gif

I only had the information from a second hand source.

I don't believe in FED either, but I do believe in OLED however. Let us see if the IFA will bring some light on this. Rumours says, that LG will present a 31 inch prototype ready for production and sale next year
emotion-1.gif

I heard the tech's been ready to go for a while, but no-one's willling to drop however many billion Yen/Yaun on a production facility untill the economic situation improves... It's a standoff at the mo, as soon as someone blinks everyone will commit.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Both the Korean companies were talking about much larger OLEDs 'one day' when I visited them almost two years ago, so I think it's more likely to be a case of won being dropped rather than yen or yuan. Whether's there's the will to do so when both companies are riding high in the TV market and doing nicely with plans to ramp up LED-lit LCD production is an entirely different matter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts