What DAC and Cables for SB3 ?

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi:

Been using my new SB3 for the past 1 week, and mostly will listen to internet radio. Now, i want to improve the SQ of my SB3, so what DAC and cables should i opt to improve the SQ ?

thanx.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Daveh.

The specs show it already has a 24 bit Burr Brown DAC built in.

The 5 star WHF review praises it's sound quality through a £1000 amp/speaker set-up so I am wondering if a seperate DAC is necessary, unless you are planning to spend out on something significantly bettter than the 'usual suspects' (DacMagic/Beresford/MF V-DAC).

Whatever DAC you choose it will need either two optical inputs or optical + digital co-ax (capable of being used seperately) if you are going to be using the DAC for audio from your Oppo 981H too.

[Edit] Its ok. I just realised that both SB3 and Oppo have the options of digital co-ax or optical.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
vinod_david:Hi:Been using my new SB3 for the past 1 week, and mostly will listen to internet radio. Now, i want to improve the SQ of my SB3, so what DAC and cables should i opt to improve the SQ ?thanx.

Depends on how much you want to spend. Check my signature for the DAC and Cables I use with my Squeezebox...

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Ajani:
vinod_david:Hi:Been using my new SB3 for the past 1 week, and mostly will listen to internet radio. Now, i want to improve the SQ of my SB3, so what DAC and cables should i opt to improve the SQ ?thanx.

Depends on how much you want to spend. Check my signature for the DAC and Cables I use with my Squeezebox...

Saw your sig.

Actually my listening from SB3 will be only net radios, so is the stock DAC enought for it or cables and DAC like you will improve the SQ of net radio (64/128 kbps streams).

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
vinod_david:Ajani:

Saw your sig.Actually my listening from SB3 will be only net radios, so is the stock DAC enought for it or cables and DAC like you will improve the SQ of net radio (64/128 kbps streams).

Yes. A good DAC will improve the quality of net radio as well. However, whether the improvement is worth the expense is going to depend on how much time you spend listening to net radio... If you only listen casually (so your CD player is your main source) then the SB3 should be sufficient for your needs...

Another thing to consider is whether you also want to upgrade the quality of your CD player... If so, then you could get a good DAC and use it with both the SB3 and the 640C....

A

Anonymous

You would probably be best advised to email Stanley Beresford and request a loan unit of the Beresford 7520 Caiman. That way you can hear it for yourself without worrying about having just wasted needless money.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
HiFi Newbie's suggestion of getting a loaner Beresford is a good one... If you can do a free trial, then I'd suggest doing so... other 'affordable' options are the Musical Fidelity V-DAC or Cambridge Audio DACmagic. If you have a much bigger budget, then I'd highly recommend the Benchmark DAC1.

As for cables, some inexpensive Digital coaxial cables will do fine for both the 640C and the SB3 (or digital optical cables)...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts