What Can I change to improve my system ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I have the following system:

Marantz CD-63 Player

Audiolab 8000A MK2 or 3 Amplifier

B&W 602 MK1 speakers Bi-wired with QED cable

Generally happy with the sound and the system overall but if I was to change one component to get a fairly substantial improvement in sound quality what would it be ?

Budget of £600

I have heard the latest B&W 685 speakers and I am not impressed as I feel my 602's are much better sounding

Any thoughts ?

It really depends on what do you dislike about your system? All these products were very good in their day. I would look at speakers first.

I assume standmounted monitors would be your preference. Again try and isolste what sound your after, starting with the Epos M12.2 at around £450 + stands.

A

Anonymous

I would replace the cd player. Which exactly will depend on the type of sound you yearn for. The rest of your system, IMO, looks fine.

A

Anonymous

If there isn't 1 area you particularly want to improve then it might be worth doing some more generic system improvements. You don't mention any stands, or a mains conditioner. My main speakers used to be a pair of 601's (now a 2nd system in the garage to help while away those hours working on the kit car!) and the difference by getting that at listening level was night and day. I recently got a Tacima mains conditioner and it has improved the treble and tightened up the bass.

A

Anonymous

have a really good look at the room. It really is surprising how much of a difference the room can make. Before spending money I would be sure that you are using the room to it's biggest advantage.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice guys. There is nothing in particular that I dislike about my system even although it may be a bit dated. The speakers are on stands and are bi-wired. I don't think there is any point changing my speakers or amp but not too sure about the CD player. My brother swears by his mains conditioner so maybe one of these and better positioning in my room will result in a much improved sound without changing any of the major components. I can't get my head round these mains conditioners so could someone kindly explain what it does and is there much of a difference in the sound. What improvements can I expect and how much do they cost ?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Genghis:Thanks for all the advice guys. There is nothing in particular that I dislike about my system even although it may be a bit dated. The speakers are on stands and are bi-wired. I don't think there is any point changing my speakers or amp but not too sure about the CD player. My brother swears by his mains conditioner so maybe one of these and better positioning in my room will result in a much improved sound without changing any of the major components. I can't get my head round these mains conditioners so could someone kindly explain what it does and is there much of a difference in the sound. What improvements can I expect and how much do they cost ?

at which point i must gently suggest you do a forum search for threads on mains conditioners if you havent already. and then id advise that you look around for somewhere that sells them with a money back guarantee and see for yourself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts