What budget CD player and amp will match B&W 685?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
It was about two years ago when the B&W 685 speakers was very much in the news. Every article I read about the 685 was positive. It looks great too. I like to know what budget CD player and amp will match the B&W 685 speakers. I listen mostly to classical music. Other advice on budget set-up comprising player, amp and speakers welcome. Cheers.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO you'll not go wrong with the above suggestions but also take a look at the NAD C326BEE amp and C545BEE CDP

It'd be handy though to know what your budget is and also what music you generally listen to?

Dont forgot that you'll need to budget for decent speaker stands and speaker cable/interconnects as well

Temasek:It was about two years ago when the B&W 685 speakers was very much in the news. Every article I read about the 685 was positive. It looks great too. I like to know what budget CD player and amp will match the B&W 685 speakers. I listen mostly to classical music. Other advice on budget set-up comprising player, amp and speakers welcome. Cheers.

Arcam is a goer. If you're prepared to bi-amp a power amp, A65+/P80 would be a great combo, and match with with either CD73T or CD17 could be a tasty prop.

A

Anonymous

It's interesting that Cypher match the Marantz CD player with Rotel and not the companion Marantz amp. I have also read the replies on a post asking for speakers to go with a NAD set-up. Is going the Marantz or NAD route a purely personal one?

Temasek:It's interesting that Cypher match the Marantz CD player with Rotel and not the companion Marantz amp. I have also read the replies on a post asking for speakers to go with a NAD set-up. Is going the Marantz or NAD route a purely personal one?

Hi-fi is very subjective per se, so your comment about Nad being personal is very valid. Also, the latest Rotel CDPs (according to recent reviews) don't come up to scratch, hence why Marantz CDP and Rotel amp has been suggested.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yup; the Marantz CDP's are hell of a lot better than the Rotel's currently which is a shame really as the Rotel amps do very well and IMO are better than the Marantz amps currently.

It is deffo all down to personal choice and that's why you'll find us all recommending that you demo as many combos as possible really.

For some people the Marantz combo will be a winner where for others it's just not right; but by adding a different CDP or amp may make the system to be whats required.

A

Anonymous

No nad is rubbish compared to say naim or cyrus or leema but its good enough for the 685s i own two pairs of th b&w,s and the are great but a budget speaker so a nad pairing would be ok with them for the price!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
nokz:No nad is rubbish compared to say naim or cyrus or leema but its good enough for the 685s i own two pairs of th b&w,s and the are great but a budget speaker so a nad pairing would be ok with them for the price!

Sorry but your comment is a load of c**p!

NAD isnt rubbish but it may NOT be to your taste as Primare and Naim isnt to my taste! Everyones different!

It's the same with all seperates whether they cost £10 2nd hand or £5k brand new! It's all down to personal tastes, hearing and musical tastes etc...

If one person loves the Naim gear say with Rega or Neat speakers then great but it's not going to suit someone who loves rock solid, deep and punchy bass therefore they may go for the Leema, NAD, Rotel or Arcam seperates paired with B&W, Monitor Audio or Kef speakers etc...

As said above the B&W 685's are probably some of the best budget to midrange speakers you can get (mainly in the £500 bracket) along with the M/A RX2's and the EB Scoustic EB1's. Pairing those types of speakers with £1k amps and CDP's or above will work very well BUT it probably won;t work as well as looking at speakers like the ATC's or above.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
nokz:No nad is rubbish compared to say naim or cyrus or leema but its good enough for the 685s i own two pairs of th b&w,s and the are great but a budget speaker so a nad pairing would be ok with them for the price!

In one breadth you say Nad is rubbish and yet in an earlier post you recommend the OP look at second hand Nad on ebay. Please make up your mind, is Nad rubbish or not.

It amazes me that you can make such an unsubstantiated, blanket statement that Nad is "rubbish". Do you know the meaning of the word rubbish. It's an insult to anybody that owns Nad gear. Please carefully read what youv'e written before you post.

Sabby:

In one breadth you say Nad is rubbish and yet in an earlier post you recommend the OP look at second hand Nad on ebay. Please make up your mind, is Nad rubbish or not.

It amazes me that you can make such an unsubstantiated, blanket statement that Nad is "rubbish". Do you know the meaning of the word rubbish. It's an insult to anybody that owns Nad gear. Please carefully read what youv'e written before you post.

Well said, sabby and d_a_n 1979. We all have our preferred sound/makes, but even if it's not to your taste, most components have their talents.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts