What blu-rays are best for up to about £400?

enerkhan

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi I want a product that cannot send out or receive wireless radiations. I'm mainly interested in deep, natural colours, no ghosting. I have a special sensitivity to good audio & want to be able to be able to connect the player with my analogue music system. It would be great if I could watch youtube on my tv but for that I maybe don't need the blu-ray player. All kinds of technical features which the normal dvd and blu-ray watching person doesn't need don't interest me much. Upscaling sounds good though. I don't own SACD cd's. I'm now checking out the Denon DBT-1713. I don't know if other non-wifi players from Sony, Samsung, Onkyo etc have comparable quality products especially concerning visuals and audio. Also, I'm not sure that players below $200 offer decent audio amplification and the likes. Any ideas?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I would have a look on the AV Forum, they also test BD players, if you don't want wifi I think the CA651 could be the one if you can still find one.

Denon 1713 is a transport only & doesn't have analogue outs. You seem to have a fear of wireless products. Simply switch the wifi off in your player if it happens to have one. Im not aware of any player with multichannel analogue outs in your budget, except the CA suggested.

enerkhan

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Aha ok, thanks for this info. Indeed I do't like wireless.After a whlie I start feeling sick from that stuff. The problem is -and I've checked this- that in most if not all blu-ray players I know of you cannot actually switch off the wireless emissions. You can choose not to use it for sending information but switching it off is not possible. Panasonic, for instance, confirmed this to me for their blu-ray players. I initially wanted to buy their BDT 500. So I'm looking into alternatives. I live in Belgium, Europe, not sure where to get Cambridge Audio products but I'll start looking into that. Two questions concerning the Denon 1713: is this generally a good product? Is it possible to buy an additional device to connect to the transporter so that I can decode and connect it to analogue music systems with such a device?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Alright, a bit over budget, but the Oppo 103 is really interesting (ignoring WHFs daft review).

The fact its got HDMIs in, analogue outs and acts as a 7.1 pre amp means I can get rid of my AVR, and just plug straight to active speakers. On the face of it, its seems a bargain.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
enerkhan said:
Aha ok, thanks for this info. Indeed I do't like wireless.After a whlie I start feeling sick from that stuff. The problem is -and I've checked this- that in most if not all blu-ray players I know of you cannot actually switch off the wireless emissions. You can choose not to use it for sending information but switching it off is not possible. Panasonic, for instance, confirmed this to me for their blu-ray players. I initially wanted to buy their BDT 500. So I'm looking into alternatives. I live in Belgium, Europe, not sure where to get Cambridge Audio products but I'll start looking into that. Two questions concerning the Denon 1713: is this generally a good product? Is it possible to buy an additional device to connect to the transporter so that I can decode and connect it to analogue music systems with such a device?

My now unused Panasonic BMP-BDT110 (sounded like a car in the room when playing BRDs) takes an optional USB WiFi dongle - I used the one supplied with my TV to update its firmware. My current Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD has a similar Wi Fi dongle that could be left unfitted - as with any USB WiFi dongle. I thought that any device that has built-in WiFi, had by law, to have the ability to disable wireless in the EU & possibly other regions. What you can't turn off is other people's WiFi so avoiding it might not be easy.

I'd take a look at the CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 651BD, available from Richer Sounds in the UK. It's going have better than average audio, plays HDCD, SACD DVD-A audio etc.

TRENDING THREADS