What are you reading?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PEAYEL

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I have just finished reading a few books the Lt Jaqueline Daniels series by J A Konrath. Just started the Whiskey Sour thriller.... nice light reading.

On a long term read I am reading Hanes Cymru by John Davies.... started on hols but needs concentration as it's a beast of an academic book.

I am considering either I know why the caged bird sings by Maya Angelou or I Hela Cnau by Marion Eames for the future .

Excellent idea for the thread, keep it up. :cheer:

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Heh. I seem to have put Holmes on the backburner. I'm currently reading Elizabeth Smart's book. Not usually my kind of thing, but I'm aware of some of the very cynical things that have been said about her kidnapping.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
museum-without-walls-by-jonathan-meades.jpg

Jonathan Meades. Museum Without Walls.

And...

845996.jpg

Kim Philby. My Silent War.

'Fighter Heroes of WWI' by Joshua Levine. It's an excellent semi-diary type about the pioneering flyers of the 'Air Battalion of the Royal Engineers, later became RFC.

This afternoon I found, tucked away on the PC, a self-penned treatment about a fictional village during 1940, called 'In Their Hands We Trust'. It's rather better than I initially thought.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
About 2/3 of the way through Dan Brown's 'Inferno'.

It's OK, but not drawing me in like 'Angels & Demons' did. :?

Counting the days/weeks/months until the new Jack Reacher :pray:

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
http://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Hopes-Amityville-Gerard-Sullivan/dp/0698110765/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389385404&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=high+hopes+gerald+sullivan

I probably need to go outside for a bit.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
My problem is I can never remember which book is which. Is 'The Visitor' the one with the bathtubs full of paint?

I liked 'One Shot' a lot, but think 'Persuader' is my fave Reacher book.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Having finally read Hydrogen Sonata, I am re-reading all of the Iain M Banks and am currently half way through Consider Phlebas

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris said:
My problem is I can never remember which book is which. Is 'The Visitor' the one with the bathtubs full of paint?

Yeah, that's the one, should have it finished by the end of the week.

Big Chris said:
I liked 'One Shot' a lot, but think 'Persuader' is my fave Reacher book.

I think One Shot is the one the film's based on (?) that's another 5 books ahead, looking forward to them all though, I'm slightly hooked now :)

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Big Chris said:
Yeah, the film is based on 'One Shot' (the book's better though of course).

Just bought the next seven books in the series, having read books 1-10. Then number 18 when it hits paperback.

Curiously addictive.

Then I'm taking the whole lot to Oxfam, as I now can't move in the house for Jack Reacher paperbacks.

Apparently number 18 "Never Go Back" will be the Tom Cruise sequel film, once he's done MI:5

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Nearing the end of this excellent piece of historical fiction following the story of a Hungarian Jew just before and during the 2nd World War. Beautifully drawn characters and very well paced.

51%2B1gQtkCML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Hi Matthew,

What's the title and author please?

If you like that kind of read, I recommend The Winds of War by Herman Wouk and the follow up War and Rememberance

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Just finished Jo Nesbo's first - the Bat! ...need to purchase another book this weekend! think I will go for headhunters or something completely different.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Just finished Jo Nesbo's first - the Bat! ...need to purchase another book this weekend! think I will go for headhunters or something completely different.

matthewpiano

Macspur said:
matthewpiano said:
Nearing the end of this excellent piece of historical fiction following the story of a Hungarian Jew just before and during the 2nd World War. Beautifully drawn characters and very well paced.

51%2B1gQtkCML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Hi Matthew,

What's the title and author please?

If you like that kind of read, I recommend The Winds of War by Herman Wouk and the follow up War and Rememberance

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Hi. It is 'The Invisible Bridge' by Julie Orringer. Thanks for the recommendations - will have a look!

matthewpiano

After finishing the Julie Orringer book I read 'Invisible' by Paul Auster. Auster's writing is very different but the way he deals with shifting perspectives is very involving and it made we want to explore more of his work. Unfortunately I then struggled to get into his 'New York Trilogy', and read 'Girl from the Lion d'Or' by Sebastien Faulks instead, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Now looking for the next good read!

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Cross Dressed to Kill by Andrew Lucas

Saw it as a cheapie on Amazon Kindle thought why not give it a go. Funniest thing I've read in a while :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts