Question What amplifier?

BeardyWonder

Feb 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi there. I'm new to the forum and would really like the benefit of advice from experienced people. I have a Pro-Ject turntable and phono pre-amp and Monitor Audio Monitor 3 speakers. I have a Fatman Mi Tube 2 amp but regret buying it. Firstly, it's probably a little warm and the music blends too much for my tastes, but I could live with it only it is causing a terrible crackling and wind-rushing noise through one of my speakers. If I change the speakers over, the sound changes to the new speaker so I think it's an issue with the amp. Anyway, if I were to buy another amp - pretty low budget (under £350) - what would people suggest? I only need the one or two inputs and Bluetooth would be good but not essential. My room size is pretty small (maybe 4m by 4m). Any help would be really appreciated!

ProgDr

Jan 25, 2021
Visit site
I walked into Sevenoaks Nottingham to collect something i had ordered online a few weeks ago and they had the new £299 NAD 316BEE V2 with a pair of Monitor audio Bronze 50's and a Project Debut Carbon EVO and i have to say the sound it made was fantastic for the money. (No bluetooth but a blueooth module such as the MEE unit for £50 would still be in your budget of £350) I commented on how good it was to the sales guy and he absolutely raved about the NAD's built in phono preamplifier and sound quality.
I ended up listening to 2 or 3 tracks on it while i waited for them to get my order from the store room and i could have quite easily have lived with it for occasional listening.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
The denon pma600ne has bluetooth, few connections and gets pretty good reviews. It's not over powerful but the speakers you have are not a big load. It should be a nice match for them

BeardyWonder

Feb 17, 2021
Visit site
I walked into Sevenoaks Nottingham to collect something i had ordered online a few weeks ago and they had the new £299 NAD 316BEE V2 with a pair of Monitor audio Bronze 50's and a Project Debut Carbon EVO and i have to say the sound it made was fantastic for the money. (No bluetooth but a blueooth module such as the MEE unit for £50 would still be in your budget of £350) I commented on how good it was to the sales guy and he absolutely raved about the NAD's built in phono preamplifier and sound quality.
I ended up listening to 2 or 3 tracks on it while i waited for them to get my order from the store room and i could have quite easily have lived with it for occasional listening.
Thanks for your help. I'll take a look at it. The NADs seem to come out well in reviews.

D

Deleted member 160668

Ignore the bluetooth element as you can add this very cheaply to any amp and you are restricting yourself.

For that budget I'd go 2nd hand as you'll get way more for your money.

Arcam and MA pair very nicely. Maybe an Arcam A29, or if you could stretch your budget a little further an A39. FWIW I've owned both and tried both with MA and it is a great pairing.

@plasticpenguin also has used Arcam a65/a85 (can't remember which) and rates them highly, these are older but can be picked up more cheaply.

Others will be along with further suggestions.

Reactions: ProgDr
Ignore the bluetooth element as you can add this very cheaply to any amp and you are restricting yourself.

Arcam and MA pair very nicely. Maybe an Arcam A29, or if you could stretch your budget a little further an A39. FWIW I've owned both and tried both with MA and it is a great pairing.

@plasticpenguin also has used Arcam a65/a85 (can't remember which) and rates them highly, these are older but can be picked up more cheaply.

Yup. Owned the A65+ that sounded great with MAs. Also heard the A85... the two is a gem. I would also add in Creek Evo 2, which I had on home demo. Another cracking combo.

Also the older Roksan Kandy LIII, another fabulous match.

BeardyWonder

Feb 17, 2021
Visit site
Yup. Owned the A65+ that sounded great with MAs. Also heard the A85... the two is a gem. I would also add in Creek Evo 2, which I had on home demo. Another cracking combo.

Also the older Roksan Kandy LIII, another fabulous match.
Thanks for the advice - I found an Arcam A65+ for a decent price so I've picked it up. Really pleased with the sound.

BeardyWonder

Feb 17, 2021
Visit site

Thanks for your help - I found an Arcam A65+ which seemed a good price and I've just picked it up. The sound is really great - I'm happy with my choice so thanks again.

D

Deleted member 160668

Thanks for your help - I found an Arcam A65+ which seemed a good price and I've just picked it up. The sound is really great - I'm happy with my choice so thanks again.
Enjoy fella 👍

Arcam and MA do match incredibly well.

D

Deleted member 160668

Enjoy fella 👍

Arcam and MA do match incredibly well.
Also, as a tip. Depending upon what you were intending to do with bluetooth... If you were intending to use this for spotify/tidal etc. and you are working to a budget. Skip this entirely and pick yourself up a Chromcast Audio which will beat bluetooth comfortably for SQ.

Anyway, enjoy your new toys.

Thanks for the advice - I found an Arcam A65+ for a decent price so I've picked it up. Really pleased with the sound.

Congrats. In VFM terms the A65 Plus is hard to beat.

It took me two years find an amp that was better and justify the higher asking price. It was eventually replaced by the Leema, which I've had for 11 years. That proves what a fabulous little amp the A65_ was/is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts