What amp for my new Pro-ject debut carbon

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've decided that its time for my aged technics SL-J110 turntable and SU-X101 amp to be replaced by more modern,(and hopefully better),equipment.

I have a budget of £500 give or take a few quid to spend,I'm aware that I'm not spending big money and you get what you pay for but I'm sure I can certainly better the equipment I'm using at the moment.

I have always liked the look of the Pro-ject carbon and the reviews are excellent,so I have set my heart on that deck,now for the amp.

With roughly £200 left I have looked at the Marantz PM5004,reviews are good and at £157 (Richer Sounds),it falls easily in my budget.

Also,at slightly more dosh, Denon PMA720AE at £189 also at Richer Sounds,still within by budget.

Both amps have good reviews and are affordable,so what one should I get,I know a lot of people will say that for an extra £100 or so I can get something a lot better,but with Xmas just around the corner this is all I can morally spend on myself.

So guys,what do you think,Marantz,Denon,or neither,I would welcome your opinions and suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
if it were my money and the Denon has a phono then that would be my choice - i havent heard it though - just going on gut instinct

Try and demo both

matthewpiano

Either the Denon or the Pioneer A-30. I've owned both (as well as Marantz and other amps), and can happily recommend either. Both have phono stage built-in too. The Pioneer is the slightly more refined of the two, and the Denon a bit more up-front and ballsy.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
ive heard the Marantz 6004 and was impressed for such a small outlay, it sounded more expensive than it was so maybe the 5004 would be worth a look, ,good facilities too

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Well guys,a little update,in the end I bought the Denon PMA720AE,fits in perfectly with my Debut Carbon.

As for the sound,perfect,Oblivion by M83 sounds superb,as does Dark Side of the Moon,in fact all my albums are so much improved that its like I've replaced all my library with new.Must be something to do with the Ortofon 2M cartridge or maybe the Amp,but one way or the other I'm one happy bunnie!:grin:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
pegleg1945 said:
Well guys,a little update,in the end I bought the Denon PMA720AE,fits in perfectly with my Debut Carbon.

As for the sound,perfect,Oblivion by M83 sounds superb,as does Dark Side of the Moon,in fact all my albums are so much improved that its like I've replaced all my library with new.Must be something to do with the Ortofon 2M cartridge or maybe the Amp,but one way or the other I'm one happy bunnie!:grin:

Well done, I knew the Denon would not dissapoint!

Hope you enjoy vinyl as much as I do!

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Steve,in my days vinyl was the only way to listen to and store music,cassettes came along in the 60s but were a poor companion to the joy of a brand new LP or single with it's artistic sleeves and covers with pictures of the artists or other information about the recording.

I still believe that vinyl is the best way to enjoy music,it has to be looked after properly and the equipment used to reproduce the sound has to be properly looked after too. I grew up in the 50s and I've owned a lot of different radiograms and music centres and I believe that there is still a place for vinyl in the home entertainment industry and I would love to see the return of the days when you could go into a record shop and sort through the 'pop charts' and come out with the latest 'top of the pops',as I'm sure you would too.

matthewpiano

pegleg1945 said:

Glad you are pleased. The Denon is a fine amp.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Get the one with the best phono stage or, better still, buy a seperate phono stage as the deck really deserves it and performance will be far superior.

TRENDING THREADS