What a story... What a song...

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Which version of "Nothing Compares 2 U" do you prefer?
only version I have is of the original release but she also did a big band album which is really good too

Edit I thought you was on about Sinead O’Connor she did a track called nothing Compares 2U

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Must admit even though lots of his stuff is not my style you have to admire the sheer talent of this man.

One of the best guitar players also.
Check him on YouTube playing the end solo on while my guitar gently weeps.

insider9

Yes, agree talent, charisma, amazing guitar player and a musician. When I posted this it was up for about an hour with 9k views. It now has 141k views. I admit I played it at least 10 times.

Unbelievable how a song can change. Just by changing an end note of a phrase. Prince's original seems less desperate and gives more hope to the listener. It feels like a completely different song with a proper arrangement.

D

Deleted member 108165

Incredible visionary talent the likes of which I doubt we will ever see or hear again. With the exception of BS I defy anyone to not admire the guy, he recorded so many brilliant memorable tracks.

When it comes down to the individual tracks I like what Prince did with it but one-hit wonder Sinead's cover version is better in my humble opinion; who can forget that incredible video of hers when it was released.... have you seen what she looks like now!... OMG!

insider9

How amazing song are we talking about if 2 years after Prince's passing we get this gem. Sinead's version is a classic but this recording is so much more complex altogether musically, melodically, emotionally. I also love the fact it isn't too polished.

To have two excellent versions and so different is only a testament to how incredible song writer he was. And posthumous release of what could surpass "Purple Rain" as his biggest hit. Wow, just wow!

F

FunkyMonkey

I can abide it when people say they prefer the Sinead version, as it has a different emotional sensitivity to it.

However, if you were asking about "Kiss" and people said Tom Jones, I would personally go and rip their soul out, send it to hell for punishment, then to heaven for some fixing, and then ask them to try again.

Yeeaaahhhh. (Tom's catchphrase on The Voice UK)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
Incredible visionary talent the likes of which I doubt we will ever see or hear again. With the exception of BS I defy anyone to not admire the guy, he recorded so many brilliant memorable tracks.

When it comes down to the individual tracks I like what Prince did with it but one-hit wonder Sinead's cover version is better in my humble opinion; who can forget that incredible video of hers when it was released.... have you seen what she looks like now!... OMG!
I like Sinead O’ Conner I have 5 of her album’s you want to listen to the album called ( Am I not your girl ) cover songs from big band orchestra and the quality of the album is pretty good on cd too

D

Deleted member 108165

Blacksabbath25 said:
I like Sinead O’ Conner I have 5 of her album’s you want to listen to the album called ( Am I not your girl ) cover songs from big band orchestra and the quality of the album is pretty good on cd too

I'll check it out, thanks BS. I have one of her albums but I'm definitely more of a Prince man than Sinead.

D

Deleted member 108165

insider9 said:
How amazing song are we talking about if 2 years after Prince's passing we get this gem. Sinead's version is a classic but this recording is so much more complex altogether musically, melodically, emotionally. I also love the fact it isn't too polished.

To have two excellent versions and so different is only a testament to how incredible song writer he was. And posthumous release of what could surpass "Purple Rain" as his biggest hit. Wow, just wow!

Easy tiger *biggrin* the track is very Prince but to my ears it does not surpass some of his excellent pop masterpieces. Incredibly gifted man gone too soon, but what an iconic back catalogue he has left us.

As for the song itself, this has been released before as I've got it on his Hits & B Sides triple album, however, this demo version is a totally different recording and easily surpasses the one on the album.

Thanks for the thread, Insider, this is more my kinda music *good*

F

FunkyMonkey

DougK said:
insider9 said:

Easy tiger *biggrin* the track is very Prince but to my ears it does not surpass some of his excellent pop masterpieces. Incredibly gifted man gone too soon, but what an iconic back catalogue he has left us.

As for the song itself, this has been released before as I've got it on his Hits & B Sides triple album, however, this demo version is a totally different recording and easily surpasses the one on the album.

Thanks for the thread, Insider, this is more my kinda music *good*

The video was interesting. Reminds us of his genius, of which we will never see again.

Sliced Bread

I remember seeing an interview with Sinéad O’Connor years ago. In it she said that after she released her cover Prince phoned to congratulate her and told her the song now “belonged” to her.

The guy interviewed in the Guardian article contradicts this.

They were both quite brilliant IMO, though of course Sinead’s version would never had existed if it were not for Prince, so he has to take the nod :)

D

Deleted member 108165

FunkyMonkey said:
The video was interesting. Reminds us of his genius, of which we will never see again.

Agreed.

Many say that MJ was the ultimate king of pop, but Prince was the real genius, a brilliant musician, lyricist and dancer; something MJ could only dream of.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts