What’s an emotional moving piece of classical music you like?

• Thread starter QuestForThe13thNote
  • Start date
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Arvo Part - Nicola Benedetti - Spiegel I’m spiegel

this piece is so simple but such an exquisite melody it’s got me going. What is your go to piece in the classical and modern classical genre that does this for you.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Will check it out, thanks David. Max Richter is bloody awesome. Another piece i love is by Patrick Cassidy from the Hannibal film soundtrack called ‘vide cor meum’ which is an absolutely enchanting and invigorating heart and gut renching piece of music that just strips you to the core.

D

Deleted member 108165

Samuel Barber: Adagio For Strings

Always loved this haunting piece from the first listen, (heard it before it was used in Platoon).

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

DougK said:
Samuel Barber: Adagio For Strings

Always loved this haunting piece from the first listen, (heard it before it was used in Platoon).

it has a strong evocative though provoking melody. Really nice piece of music.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If we're talking strictly classical as opposed to just general instrumental, I tend to favour tone poems. So on my list is the likes of Saucerer's Apprentice, Pictures at an Exhibition, Night on a Bare Mountain, Danse Macabre, and so on.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Debussy features lots on the classical playlist I was listening too. Underrated I think and I agree quite a lot of his stuff is subtle until you get it. A bit like saint saens.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Variations On A Theme Of Frank Bridge by Britten. IV Romance ...

https://youtu.be/XPvJ8rpWR3M

I first encountered it playing during an autobiographical Jonathan Meades TV programme called ‘Father to the man’ some years ago on this box set ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jonathan-Meades-Collection-DVD/dp/B001110H14

It’s only a very short piece but gets me every time.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I remember visiting his grave in aldeburgh churchyard in Suffolk, buried next to Peter Pears.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
davidf said:
The opening and end credit track to the film Shutter Island by Max Richter called On The Nature Of Daylight, using Dina Washington’s lyrics from This Bitter Earth. Quite a moving piece in my opinion.
both great pieces of music

I have Max Richer 4 seasons which is also very good he also makes some very good music

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
51x2VfscJpL._SX425_.jpg

pablolie

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Max Richter - wow he's brilliant. I loved him since the Recomposed 4 Seasons, but his stuff is awesome.

Daniel Hope "Spheres".

Karl Munchinger's version of Pachelbel's Kanon - play loud.

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
if there is one piece of music (well, four really) that is almost guaranteed to leave me moist-eyed, it has to be Richard Strauss' Four Last Songs. They have a powerfully moving combination of bitter-sweet nostalgia and aching sadness at the approaching end of life. I once heard them magnificently sung at a concert by finnish soprano Soile Isokoski, and found myself with tears running down my cheeks. As I embarrasedly tried to hide this, and glancing round to check if anyone had seen me, I noticed the young lady to my left blubbing away. The silence after the orchestra faded away was truly astonishing; it felt as though 2,000 people were trying to hold their breath at once. Listening to these songs can have a similar effect at home. You have been warned!

There are several famous versions. My favourite is the beautiful voice of Gundula Janowitz with the Berlin Philharmonic.

Good to see the Frank Bridge Variations mentioned above - such a brilliant piece.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Mozart Clarinet Concerto.

Preferably the Hogwood/Pay/Piguet recording on L’Oiseaux-Lyre.

Quite an old recording now, but interesting in that it uses a basset clarinet (for which I believe the concerto was written) rather than the more modern clarinet.

It’s impossible to feel unhappy whilst listening to this glorious music, even the slow and incandescently beautiful second movement.

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Mozart Clarinet Concerto.

Preferably the Hogwood/Pay/Piguet recording on L’Oiseaux-Lyre.

Quite an old recording now, but interesting in that it uses a basset clarinet (for which I believe the concerto was written) rather than the more modern clarinet.

It’s impossible to feel unhappy whilst listening to this glorious music, even the slow and incandescently beautiful second movement.

That's a major +1 from me!

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

And me too but I think of Mozart, the serenade for winds 3rd movement and then concerto for flute and harp 2nd movement, get me going more than the clarinet concerto.

saint saens organ concerto and also Shostakovich piano concerto number 2 : adante, can move me and get me emotional. Exquisite music and more relevant today than ever.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
And me too but I think of Mozart, the serenade for winds 3rd movement and then concerto for flute and harp 2nd movement, get me going more than the clarinet concerto.

saint saens organ concerto and also Shostakovich piano concerto number 2 : adante, can move me and get me emotional. Exquisite music and more relevant today than ever.

All great!

Another favourite is Emma Kirkby singing Laudate Dominum with The Winchester Cathedral Choir.

Divine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts