Wharfedale Linton

seinundnichts

May 9, 2021
Visit site
I read some reviews on Wharfedale Linton. I like this speakers, but are they neutral, transparent enough for acoustic and classic music ? I'm afraid they can add some their "personality" to sound ? Or are they clean and without own character ?

Would be new amp and streamer Marantz PM8006 good partner for Lintons ?

I prefer listening on low volume levels, I never listen loudly, so I need some speakers that are able to play quiet more than loud. How good are Lintons in this area ? Are there some better speakers (up to $1500-2000) for low level listening of acoustic, vocal and opera, baroque and classical music ?

I heard some common speakers but I was not sold on them at all - it was mostly not able to play at lower levels, sound lack color and timbre, was too shouty, I was tired very quickly and missed emotions of music .. I'm looking for more full, natural, easy flowing and clean sound, with texture and timbre of instruments and voice.

Are Lintons suitable for small rooms (15-20m2) and less than 2m stereo base ?

Can somebody answer my questions please ? :)

Welcome to the forum.
I would strongly suggest you need to audition for yourself, especially in a room that size.
Perhaps some second hand Harbeths.
Audition whatever you can and make sure they are highly efficient speakers.
wherever you are in the world there must be a dealer you can get to.
I am away now before someone suggests headphones....... :)
Being serious I think the Lintons would work in that room, but you will have to be the judge of that. You might find the Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 suit the room better.
You mention new amp, what's your old one?
If you were in the UK I would suggest these:-

Last edited:
Reactions: rainsoothe

AJM1981

The Lintons should be neutral as all other Wharfedales are. They are in a price range in which a listening session would not be too much to ask for. Above +1000 euro's is when I would at least do that. I see the Lintons currently range from 800 euro's at cheapest to over a 1000 for the most expensive.

You also might try out the Wharfedale Evo 4.2's. I own them, same price range and does it also well within low volume levels and they can compete with speakers way over a 1000 according to reviewers.

But again.. testing for preference might be the key.

Last edited:
Based only upon reviews I’ve read, I very much doubt that Lintons are neutral. They weren’t designed to be. They’re designed to appeal to the (many) listeners tired of bright, forward sounding speakers, that are often tall and narrow. They have a wide baffle, so are likely more rich toned than neutral.

As others have said, it’s impossible to know if you’ll like them in your room, with a compromised set up. If I had to guess, I’d also try smaller, stand mounted speakers.

D

Deleted member 116933

Completely agree with nopiano, the wharfdales (lintons) will be far from neutral, and the sound you're describing you like is far from what id consider neutral. You use the word natural sounding which is what id say the Wharfedale's are but don't confuse that with honest, which is not a bad thing is that's what you're after. I think you're actually pretty confused with what you want so all the more reason to go and audition a few brands.

The Wharfdales are a call back to days gone by and they fill a hole at this price point that's been missing for a long while. Where everyone and their mother has been chasing FLAT and its not what most people want.

I think id start your search with the Wharfedale's and then on the same list id have Tannoy and Klipsch and Fyne audio, maybe Burchart audio on there as well for good measure.

insider9

Hi OP! Very difficult to give any meaningful advice due to low listening levels expectation. It really depends on what you expect to hear at low volume. If you want low level listening where all frequencies are reproduced as if the volume was normal that's not how it works usually due to how we hear. Anyway, how low is low?

If that's the case a speaker that's not neutral be the way to go as at low listening levels the imbalance will even itself out, well at least to human ears. I don't think small bookshelves are the way to go even though your room isn't big.

Most small bookshelves will lack bass at normal volumes but when turned down all they will have is midrange. So your comments on shouty midrange don't surprise me. Linton's might be the way to go but without you trying them in your room at your volume it's impossible to say. After all we don't have your ears or know how quietly you listen.

I personally would not buy a compromised speaker to listen at low volume. The minute you turn it up the bass will be overpowering. But from what I'm reading you're not after neutrality so that might be how you want it anyway. If I were you I would consider adding a sub or going with a headphone setup.

Hi OP! Very difficult to give any meaningful advice due to low listening levels expectation. It really depends on what you expect to hear at low volume. If you want low level listening where all frequencies are reproduced as if the volume was normal that's not how it works usually due to how we hear. Anyway, how low is low?

If that's the case a speaker that's not neutral be the way to go as at low listening levels the imbalance will even itself out, well at least to human ears. I don't think small bookshelves are the way to go even though your room isn't big.

Most small bookshelves will lack bass at normal volumes but when turned down all they will have is midrange. So your comments on shouty midrange don't surprise me. Linton's might be the way to go but without you trying them in your room at your volume it's impossible to say. After all we don't have your ears or know how quietly you listen.

I personally would not buy a compromised speaker to listen at low volume. The minute you turn it up the bass will be overpowering. But from what I'm reading you're not after neutrality so that might be how you want it anyway. If I were you I would consider adding a sub or going with a headphone setup.
going with a headphone setup.
well someone was going to say it...... :)

Last edited:

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I read some reviews on Wharfedale Linton. I like this speakers, but are they neutral, transparent enough for acoustic and classic music ? I'm afraid they can add some their "personality" to sound ? Or are they clean and without own character ?

Would be new amp and streamer Marantz PM8006 good partner for Lintons ?

I prefer listening on low volume levels, I never listen loudly, so I need some speakers that are able to play quiet more than loud. How good are Lintons in this area ? Are there some better speakers (up to $1500-2000) for low level listening of acoustic, vocal and opera, baroque and classical music ?

I heard some common speakers but I was not sold on them at all - it was mostly not able to play at lower levels, sound lack color and timbre, was too shouty, I was tired very quickly and missed emotions of music .. I'm looking for more full, natural, easy flowing and clean sound, with texture and timbre of instruments and voice.

Are Lintons suitable for small rooms (15-20m2) and less than 2m stereo base ?

Can somebody answer my questions please ? :)
Iam using Wharfedale 11.2s that work admirably to my ears at low listening levels.However i drive them with a custom power amp and source is a n/w player.Another speakers i use that does not get much attention on the forums is Ophidian Minimos which is also good at low volumes.The newer Ophidian minomos 2 should be better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts